Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nuclear weapons/WMDs  (Read 7054 times)

Re: Nuclear weapons/WMDs
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 12:48:46 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I guess you COULD use Japan as an example, but an atom bomb wouldnt be as effective if it was dropped in say, NY.  It was on discovery, everything in the blast radius would be destroyed.  BUT the nuclear energy would be absorbed by all the steel in the buildings.  After that, anyone exposed to radiation can be cleaned of it.  Though not everyone will be able to, it will still be less effective today if it was dropped in a big city..

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 02:32:33 am »
  • Huzzowee!
IMO, nukes are actually sort of encouraging a !@#$% form of peace out of fear. The USA and Russia are allies. Lord knows that they probably don't like each other, but they're not enemies. Way back when, the USA and Russia could have started fight like that (pretend I snapped my fingers). Now, both sides are somewhat afraid of going to war. They think that the other side could send nukes. And if they send nukes, we'll have to send nukes. Overall, both sides know that neither would survive. They're afraid of that. That's why a terrorist getting a nuke is so scary. He doesn't have that fear since he doesn't care about the country and if it's bombed, whereas the target is fearing for their lives and they care about the other country, since they're not actually the ones that need to be bombed. The nuke's devastation is terrible. They should never be used as a weapon. All they're doing now is instilling fear. Around the world. Some people actually go around day after day thinking "Oh crap! what if we get nuked today?!" and for a moment, they fear for their lives. I'd be afraid if the USA got nuked, since odds are they'd aim for big cities. New York is a big city. Montreal is pretty damn close to New York. I don't want to be hit by the USA's destruction's spillover. But, the fear is the price we pay for being so "powerful". And despite the power, the countries with nukes are powerless to use them since it would mean suicide. Pure and simple, nukes do nothing but cripple both sides, launched or not.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 11:17:18 pm »
Then you don't allow that technology into the wrong hands. Nice and simply, you DO destroy it. You destroy the plans, you destroy the weapons, and you take away the material. You keep a close eye on anyone who does know how to make the weapons, and you make sure that no-one ever gets what they need to make 'em. Nice'n'simple. No nukes anywhere.
A problem there is that that kind of technology is an inevitability. It can't (within ethical bounds) be stopped that more countries will eventually gain Nuclear and Chemical weapons, helped or not.

It is actually quite scary ... The idea that destruction would only take the decision of one terrorist...Especailly as an old atom bomb can fit in a bag :#
However so is the idea of being destroyed by a comet, thrust into a global heating period beyond our survival, or the simple idea of being run over tommorow...

Its such an unusual situation. Not something we can see being resolved at all.

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace

Pyru

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2006, 09:40:32 am »
Then you don't allow that technology into the wrong hands. Nice and simply, you DO destroy it. You destroy the plans, you destroy the weapons, and you take away the material. You keep a close eye on anyone who does know how to make the weapons, and you make sure that no-one ever gets what they need to make 'em. Nice'n'simple. No nukes anywhere.
A problem there is that that kind of technology is an inevitability. It can't (within ethical bounds) be stopped that more countries will eventually gain Nuclear and Chemical weapons, helped or not.

It is actually quite scary ... The idea that destruction would only take the decision of one terrorist...Especailly as an old atom bomb can fit in a bag :#
However so is the idea of being destroyed by a comet, thrust into a global heating period beyond our survival, or the simple idea of being run over tommorow...

Its such an unusual situation. Not something we can see being resolved at all.

Many countries ARE prevented from gaining nuclear capabilities for those exact reasons, or at least bullied into removing themselves of those capabilities. The only difference is that the major players still have nukes, and are all too prepared to use them.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 41 queries.

anything