Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Utah is in communist Russia!  (Read 1145 times)

Utah is in communist Russia!
« on: September 20, 2006, 09:36:55 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
Yeah, so I have this psychology class, and we were finally assigned a research project.  So I was going to do mine on Charles Darwin.  So I came up with an outline and showed it to my teacher.

Teacher: "You can't say that, it's illegal."

Possum: "WHAAAAAAAA?!!"

Teacher: "Yep, Utah State Legislature made it illegal in [insert date here] to discuss certain aspects of evolution in public school buildings."

Possum: "So you're telling me, that I learned more about evolution in elementary school, than I'm allowed in high school?"

Teacher: "Yep."

Possum: "And that almost everything about evolution that I know can't legally be discussed in a public school building?"

Teacher: "Yep."

Possum: "Where are we anyway, communist Russia?"

Teacher: "Yep, I'm sorry."

So I'm seriously considering talking about it anyway.  That would result in me being sent to an administrator (I asked), and after that, I think I'd have the grounds for a civil suit.  I bet the ACLU would help me out... at the same rate, my parents would have to file it-- they never would.  And besides, I'm in communist Russia... there won't even be grounds for an appeal process, because of our stupid system here.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 09:41:15 pm by 2awesome4apossum »

Pyru

Re: Utah is in communist Russia!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 09:40:59 pm »
See? There's your problem, you let your creationists win.

I suggest a violent coup while your billionaire prime minister is out of the country. <_< >_>

Seriously, though, that's messed up. So much for freedom of speech.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 09:42:29 pm »
Well, that's not the thing: because it's a public school building, but they don't allow you to discuss a certain IDEA, in this instance evolution, and I don't see any grounds for doing so.

Pyru

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:45:30 pm »
Well, that's not the thing: because it's a public school building, but they don't allow you to discuss a certain IDEA, in this instance evolution, and I don't see any grounds for doing so.

Because your entire local government is made up of mormons, and most of your national government is made up of right-wing Protestants, most of whom are profoundly against accepting the possibility of evolution in any shape or form?

Still. Scream "FREEEEEDOM OF SPEEEEEECH" at the top of your lungs. That'll get their attention.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 09:52:34 pm »
Because your entire local government is made up of mormons
Not true.

and most of your national government is made up of right-wing Protestants, most of whom are profoundly against accepting the possibility of evolution in any shape or form?
I disagree. :P
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 10:00:39 pm »

Because your entire local government is made up of mormons, and most of your national government is made up of right-wing Protestants, most of whom are profoundly against accepting the possibility of evolution in any shape or form?

Still. Scream "FREEEEEDOM OF SPEEEEEECH" at the top of your lungs. That'll get their attention.
Hey! I take that as an insult!!!  >:(
But still, as that is not true, the evolution thing is a big topic today.
My Biology teacher does teach evolution (Of course it is in Ohio...) and I think it shouldn't be illegal to talk about
evolution in schools, some people will belive it anyways, you can't avoid it.

Manly men don't sass. Manly men get in FIGHTS! Fist fights using manly fists!
  • JetDesigns
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 10:28:47 pm »
I think that your teacher is wrong, but I am not sure; I do not think that he or she can talk about it, due to him or her being in a place of authority, but I think that the students are allowed to.  The teacher may be thinking that since he or she has to approve it, that he or she is allowing it, so that might be the main problem.  If you are not going to discuss your research to the class, then I do not think it would be a problem at all. Maybe you should do it over something like Freud though and his ideas about the id, ego, and super-ego though if you really cannot do Darwin.

Pyru

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 10:43:12 pm »

My Biology teacher does teach evolution (Of course it is in Ohio...) and I think it shouldn't be illegal to talk about

How is that insulting? For the most part, it's true. Evolution isn't something you sweep under the carpet; it's a scientific theory supported by a large amount of evidence, and from the current evidence, is the most logical explaination for the way things are.

A lot more logical than everything magically being created by an all-powerful being. ;P
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 11:03:24 pm »
That sucks bro >_<
But, XD at your teacher.

Possum: "Where are we anyway, communist Russia?"

Teacher: "Yep, I'm sorry."

.TakaM was here.
so my friend stole a giant bag of ketchup out of the ketchup pumping things and brought it to our table and we took it in the bathroom and i smashed it over the sink and kicked it around the bathroom and smeared it everywhere and we all took turns kicking the ketchup out of it and when we were done it looked like an african village was murdered in the bathroom
XFD.
  • Awesome Land
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 11:56:18 pm »
it's a scientific theory supported by a large amount of evidence
Actually: Natural selection is the scientific theory.  Evolution is just an idea, and does not qualify to be a scientific theory.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 01:24:43 am »

How is that insulting? For the most part, it's true. Evolution isn't something you sweep under the carpet; it's a scientific theory supported by a large amount of evidence, and from the current evidence, is the most logical explaination for the way things are.

A lot more logical than everything magically being created by an all-powerful being. ;P
Well, I find the Mormon comment insulting.

I know what true evolution is, and I know what the theory (2a4ap is right) is, I do not want to argue your beliefs and I don't
want to start anything.
But I would see why though, they are trying to stop religous wars in schools which is kindof hard anyway, being the different
cultures in Highschool...
But I do know that Natural Selection has proof, but it is still a Theory, not quite a law.

Manly men don't sass. Manly men get in FIGHTS! Fist fights using manly fists!
  • JetDesigns
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 01:53:56 am »
Since when was the term Mormon offensive?  If you are someone who views that term to be a polygamist remark, then you are wrong in that assumption.  The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only church that practices that view on polygamy.  However, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (note how it does not include Fundamentalist), not only bans polygamy, but it also does not recognize and has excommunicated anyone affiliated with the FLDS.  So, in that regard, the FLDS are not true Mormons.

In summary, Mormon does not equal polygamy or an insult.  Replace Pyru's comment with the word "Catholic" and suddenly it is not offensive anymore.  Thus, people who are viewing that as an insult are living only in fear of a biased stereotype that is not true.  Besides, it is a fact that there is a high concentration of Mormons in the Utah area, so they are probably going to be involved in the government and in school boards as well. 

It should also be noted that Pyru is not American and the context of his language could mean that he is insulting Protestantism as well.  I think that Pyru is a Buddhist, but that does not really matter anyway.

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 06:31:16 pm »
But I would see why though, they are trying to stop religous wars in schools which is kindof hard anyway, being the different
cultures in Highschool...
But I do know that Natural Selection has proof, but it is still a Theory, not quite a law.
? A law?
Rather than prevent 'religious wars' they should teach people to use some reasoning to healthily debate their beliefs, and have the pupils leaving school with confidence in their own beliefs and a wider understanding of other peoples. Thats what they do (try) here - The last two years of Religious education were like that, though in my last school year i avoided RE completely, not really having much concern for the (late)popes opinion on condoms, nor a bunch of completely idiotic philosiphy which can be instantly disproven with some logic because it's been taken from its historical record and thrown into a context in which it doesn't make sense (unless your .... unfortunate ... ). Though i like the idea from which that course change came from, it mainly resulted in me, for my two weeks of attendance (except when we had Mr Ferry, i went to his R.E classes), sitting at the back saying 'thats !@#$%' to the person next to me, who in seconds of explanation understood why.

No one's beliefs were mocked, no one was insulted, made fun or became angry or fought about it (except this one guy who thought everyone should be christians, mus.. I'm not gonna repeat it, and that all masses should be taught in latin).

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.526 seconds with 63 queries.