Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Demo] Freeroam RPG  (Read 2691 times)

[Demo] Freeroam RPG
« on: April 07, 2010, 08:48:39 am »
  • Ganondorf want's you to come closer...
Freeroam RPG
Platform: GameMaker 7.0 Lite

Demo
Link1 - Download demo (executable)

Link2 - http://FastFreeFileHosting.com/file/36079/maze-rpg-demo-exe.html

Hi!
I've been working on a freeroam RPG for some time now, struggling using nothing but Drag 'n Drop and some very basic GML. Currently I'm still working on the engine, it's close to completion, but there are still some elements that need to be added in here and there. I haven't started thinking about a storyline yet or quest ideas, I'm only focusing on the engine, and taking the occasional break making graphics. My goal is to make a Gameplay experience that will be a mix between Zelda and World of Warcraft. It's sort of hard to explain. Fear not, I've got a demo to show what I mean.

Features (Completed):
  • - Movement
  • - Leveling System
  • - Stat System
  • - Looting (dead enemies)
  • - Item Equipping (Currently just Weapons)
  • - Dungeon Triggers (blocks, torches, doors etc.)

Features (Planned):
  • - Quest Log / Quests
  • - Class Trainers
  • - Storyline
  • - Visible Equipment
  • - Minigames
  • - Equipping(head,shoulders,chest,legs)
  • - ... more to come

Screenshots (More to come)

Critique and comments would be greatly appreciated. I know it's a little crude at the moment, but I think I'm going to wait with the fine details until later.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:06:48 am by 4Sword »
Life is a waste of time,Time is a waste of Life, so lets all go out and get wasted!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Freeroam RPG
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:54:16 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I see Jesus hanging out in there! :P

Anyway; very interesting trying to use mainly D&D. Best of luck with that :p
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:00:18 am »
Please fix your links by not using the [url ][ /url] tags.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:32:58 am »
Hahaha, originally I wanted to make a Priest like main character, so he ended up with white robes. Believe me, your not the first to notice the resemblance  XD
Thanks, yeah I will do my best to make this work.

@Niek

Is the link working now? I will try to add an alternate link aswell. Thanks for noticing the broken link.
Life is a waste of time,Time is a waste of Life, so lets all go out and get wasted!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:29:00 am »
Both links work. I shall check the demo when I have got the time.

Okay here is some C+C. First I kind of hate the controls you made. It took a while before I found out that the arrow keys do the same as WASD. Unfortunately the numerical keypad does not the same for the number keys. And then there is the mouse that you need to use to interact with some things.

Second. I don't really like playing with Jesus. You might want to change that sprite. Making a priest is nice, but an unshaven brunette guy, with a white robe that is a poor man's excuse for clothes. You might want to make him a bit more imposing by giving him some more decent clothes. I imagine he is not rich, but he isn't a poor slob either. Giving a different colored streak in the hair might be a nice touch as well. The maincharacter could also use some more outspoken animations. At the moment he is like a stiff board dragging his ass everywhere. The only animation I noticed is the players feet dribble,the spells moving and a whirling sword. The tiling is nice. The HUD is large and more often bothersome than helpfull. Also when the screen is scrolling I can see two mouse cursors.

Third: gameplay. Unfortunately the controls do a lot of damage here and I often end up dead. But there are some other things that could use some work. You say that movement is completed, but I think it has only begun developing. I found myself often walk against invisible walls and the collision detection with objects also needs serious revision. At least the graphics don't represent the collisions. Occasionally I think that I go with a wide enough circle around an object, but to still find myself stuck behind a object. Additionally the movement could benefit from some cornercutting algorithms. You say it is a free roaming RPG, but in fact, once you go through a door you can never go back to to search something that you missed. Because you get put in the middle of a new room.

There probably are more things that I am forgetting that still need a lot of work, but I think I have given you enough C+C to keep you busy for a while. Oh yes, before I forget. A combination of WoW and Zelda might sound cool and awesome, but in reality it is a bit of a clashing combination. I would say focus more on one than the other and because WoW is a lot more present already I suggest you drop Zelda and try to make a 2D WoW (without the online stuff).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:36:54 pm by Niek »
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 01:43:00 pm »
Hi, thanks for the C+C. Yes, I agree on the controls beeing bothersome and shifting and I've been planning on working on that. I've sort of planned making the controls and interaction in one way and then tried doing it in another. I'll have to settle with one I guess and work on it. It might be that I have big hands, but to me playing with the WASD and number keys with my left hand, and use the mouse with the my right was pretty comfortable (then again I might just be used to it). I won't change it just yet though, until I get more comments about it.

Well, it isn't really jesus, just an unlucky lookalike. But yes, I guess I could work on that, since your not the first to think it looks like Jesus. Keep in mind that this demo is just the basic engine, and that I'm still working on the engine itself, so alot of the graphics will be replaced and things will be changed. Yes, I couldn't agree more with the collision revision, it's something I've been thinking about myself too.

Again, thanks for the comments!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 49 queries.

anything