Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Contest #1: Game Development | Congratulations Knightmare for Saints Bow!  (Read 20786 times)

Re: Game Development Contest #1
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 10:19:35 pm »
  • :D
So umm...do we really need a 200+ post count just to enter this contest? I fail to see the point of that.
I would like to enter, but I apparently can't. D:
  • Knighty Games
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2008, 10:27:59 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
So umm...do we really need a 200+ post count just to enter this contest? I fail to see the point of that.
I would like to enter, but I apparently can't. D:
Yeah, I agree with Knightmare in this one.

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2008, 10:40:31 pm »
  • Minalien
While things are being added, let's add a new rule to further narrow it down to one entry; ONLY TOMPEL CAN ENTER.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2008, 11:38:56 pm »
Just STFU already. Since the prize is useless to you, you're not entering in the competition, and you just feel like whining, stop posting here. Like others have said, your time will come.
I agree on the post count thing though. Think of it this way - more people who can enter = more games = more competition = more fun.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 11:53:02 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
I think the next contest should be non-game maker to stop these guys from complaining.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2008, 12:56:03 am »
  • Minalien
Just STFU already. Since the prize is useless to you, you're not entering in the competition, and you just feel like whining, stop posting here. Like others have said, your time will come.
I agree on the post count thing though. Think of it this way - more people who can enter = more games = more competition = more fun.
the "more people who can enter" thing is the reason I was bitching about it in the first place.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2008, 02:22:19 am »
I agree with most stuff mentioned by MiN but the way he is telling them are the incorrect.. hmm I would say indie game contest? like create a simple arcade type game? that will be fun.
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2008, 02:51:30 am »
I want to enter, but I have almost no experience with Game Maker and none in GML.  :P So, I think I will just do my best, and see what happens.

BTW, I do somewhat agree with Minalien (somewhat). I think that part of what bothers him is that everyone on these boards basically just uses Game Maker with pre-existing engines to make their glorified walking demos anyways, so he thinks we should be trying to steer the board in the other direction. And I kind of agree.

But I still think he's needlessly whining about it. These contests are just starting, and so they need to get people interested by making it fairly accessible...thus using a tile-based drag and drop engine like Game Maker is actually not a bad thing. I'm sure they'll get to contests that require deeper programming skills too, like C# or C++. But the point isn't to put people off from participating, the point is get people interested and liven up development on these boards. So they should keep participation requirements fairly loose. Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong with how they have started these contests.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 03:09:32 am by legendarylugi »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2008, 04:02:06 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
*is half tempted to clear out this entire thread*

<_< MiN; shut up. lol. You're missing the point of the contest, nuff said. Stop trying to troll every thread on this forum and actually *make* a difference instead of saying one needs to be made. Otherwise, just gtfo o.0. Ya know I luv ya bro, but god enough is enough... If you had payed attention to the threads on the board, you'd know that this is only the start of many... many development contests. The next one I have planned is a Visual Studio contest, so *shrugs*.

I also highly suggest people check out the pinned thread in this board; http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=24655.0 is the link.

The point isn't to have *EVERYONE* on the forum enter; just the ones the contests appeal to. Not everyone is qualified for every contest; it's just how the world works. When we have spriting contests, are you going to complain because the sprites aren't generated in C++? That's just not the purpose of these contests, and I'm kinda tired of hearing it.

:P I dont mean to sound harsh, but god damn dude, don't ninja my thread.

ANYWAY

I've changed the posting requirements on this---- It's now 200 posts OR have been a valid active user for at least a year. So yes Knightmare :P You can enter now lol
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2008, 04:03:32 am »
Okay, the point of the contest is clearly going over a few heads here.

We want to do several themed contests and we want to do them *often*. We're well aware not everyone uses GM here, or GM7 for that matter. Perhaps next month we'll do one that exclusively forces you to make a game in C#, or C++, MF2, or Torque, the goal here is to have people try new things, to tinker around and perhaps win a license for GM. (In this case GM).

I hope I've cleared this up for you. :\
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
Re: Game Development Contest #1 (Requirement Cha...
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2008, 04:31:53 am »
Can't wait for a music contest. :).
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
Re: Contest #1: Game Development (Requirement Ch...
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2008, 01:09:43 pm »
  • Modrill made the avatar. I command you to like it.
I might have time to whip something up since I was already dreaming about it for a few days now... Its not a new game because I've made it before twice, but I hated the "remake" so I kinda wanna make up for it- I guess this would be a great opportunity.

That and I'd like to have my own registered copy of GM... :(

I just hope I don't get bombarded by homework... like I usually do (I'm really interested in competing though).

My Brawl FC is 1289-8196-4511. Don't expect me to be on all the time though.
  • Super Smash Karts
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2008, 08:44:21 pm »
Oh, sorry, I forgot to say I am entering for fun. I already have Game Maker 7 Pro.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2008, 09:01:25 pm »
--
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:01:07 pm by Venyux »
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2008, 09:55:56 pm »
Does it matter if the game is done with GM 7 Pro? I mean, I just don't want to uninstall GM 7 Pro then reinstall 7 Lite, or using GM 7 Pro is the point of 'just for fun'?
If its just for fun, I don't see the harm in it.
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2008, 09:57:10 pm »
Hey, Venyux, maybe they would be fine with you using it as an entry if you just made sure not to use any of the registered features while making the game?

Lol, anyways, I just looked at my previous post in this thread, and rereading it, the post almost sounds like I'm saying the opposite of what I was actually trying to say.  :-[

What I was trying to say is that while I sort of get what's bothering Minalien, I don't think that he should complain so much. And these contests are fine the way they are currently being done. It's not trying to be all inclusive and there's no reason for it to be.

EDIT: Lol, I'm sitting here trying to think of a way to get my post count to 200 in time for the competition, and without spamming, only making legitimate posts. It's a real pickle.  :P
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:08:27 pm by legendarylugi »

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2008, 11:57:26 pm »
  • Xiphirx
*sniff* Just when I start to learn Blitzmax... gah, I never get into any contest [/troll (I guess?)]
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2008, 02:47:40 am »
  • w00t
xiphirx, read Andrew's post earlier on this page.
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2008, 03:49:00 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah those entering for fun can use GM7pro, just don't use any pro functions :P

Although you wont be eligible for the prizes (it really wouldn't be fair XD)
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2008, 12:00:59 am »
So, do we have to use our own sprites for this, or can we use preexisting ones?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 76 queries.