Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Which composition deserves to win?

The Dragonfly's Trip by sjegtp
- 3 (42.9%)
Mist by TomPel
- 2 (28.6%)
Light Amidst Darkness by D-Pad
- 2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: March 30, 2009, 09:58:57 pm

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TOMC #1 09 Poll  (Read 3296 times)

TOMC #1 09 Poll
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:57:09 pm »
Alright. Due to the few entries, they will all be voted on in the same poll. There was going to be a Hi-fi and Lo-fi poll, so please be mindful of that when voting!

Here are the entries:

Lo-Fi Rush Theme

Hi-Fi Mist Theme
        Mirror: http://bluechujelly.googlepages.com/Mist_TomPel.mp3

You only get one vote, so make sure it's the one you want!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:25:53 am by Darklight »
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
Re: TOMC #1 09 Poll
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 11:50:32 pm »
@ Darklight: I couldn't download TomPel's entry, the link is broken.

@D-Pad: I linked your song very much, it's touching :3 Though it was a bit dissonant at parts and IMO the ending was a bit sudden.

EDIT: @Darklight: I think it would make more sense that I competed with QK while KingKnight, D-Pad and TomPel competed with themselves, so we could separate competitors by theme, but it's okay this way anyway.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:57:43 pm by sjegtp »
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 05:24:27 am »
@ Darklight: I couldn't download TomPel's entry, the link is broken.
O_o works fine for me. One sec, I'll mirror it.

Edit: here, http://bluechujelly.googlepages.com/Mist_TomPel.mp3
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 05:15:32 pm »
It's okay, the link is working now, it must have been some temporary error.

Tompel's song is nice too, it sounds quite relaxing...
I prefer D-Pad's though. IMO, D-Pad went further in emotion and complexity than TomPel.

D-Pad

A.K.A. Gyrowolf
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 05:39:59 pm »
Voting started? That was pretty quiet. No fanfare or anything like that? XD

I really hope The Dragonfly's Trip isn't mis-judged because of it's midi quality because it's a very interesting take on the Rush theme. The concept works because of things like the "flittering" percussion instrument(s) in the background and the lightness of the overall composition.

The deep drum in Mist adds to the atmosphere and, along with the harp, adds sort of an oriental feel. It sounds a little like something I cound hear from Okami, and that's certainly not a bad thing.

All in all, while I think the quantity of submissions is pretty weak, the quality more or less makes up for it (... right?). This was my first competition, and regardless of the outcome, I look forward to entering another. ;  D Maybe next time we'll get a few more entries.

@D-Pad: I linked your song very much, it's touching :3 Though it was a bit dissonant at parts and IMO the ending was a bit sudden.

Thanks! XD Yeah, I tend to end most of my music with cliff-hangers -- I like them, but perhaps this wasnt the time to use one? I dunno. It fit the scene I had going in my head so I went for it.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 07:39:15 pm »
I really hope The Dragonfly's Trip isn't mis-judged because of it's midi quality because it's a very interesting take on the Rush theme. The concept works because of things like the "flittering" percussion instrument(s) in the background and the lightness of the overall composition.
Thanks, my honky-tonk at tempo 1200 worked out :P
I tried to represent the different scenarios by changing the texture of the song with time, but I don't know if it worked too :P

All in all, while I think the quantity of submissions is pretty weak, the quality more or less makes up for it (... right?). This was my first competition, and regardless of the outcome, I look forward to entering another. ;  D Maybe next time we'll get a few more entries.
Yeah, I was just thinking that the TOMC quality is generally above the avarage Audio section quality. It was the same last time.

Thanks! XD Yeah, I tend to end most of my music with cliff-hangers -- I like them, but perhaps this wasnt the time to use one? I dunno. It fit the scene I had going in my head so I went for it.
The problem is that in the ending you made a long arpeggio with the harp and kept the strings sounding with the same volume, and then, in the following compass, the strings stop too abruptly, with only one short note of another instrument. I would've added one more compass with a 1/4 note or a 1/2 note of a full chord of strings in mezzo-forte with the volume falling down gradually.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 12:04:07 pm »
Voting'll close real soon guys, remember to vote if you haven't already!

D-Pad

A.K.A. Gyrowolf
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 04:17:49 pm »
Ah! Looks like it's over. Congratulations, sjegtp!  XD

[. . . ]
I would've added one more compass with a 1/4 note or a 1/2 note of a full chord of strings in mezzo-forte with the volume falling down gradually.

My ignorance of musical terms is going to show here, but you're saying don't end the notes all at once and let them quickly fade into silence at random (but still together) times? Like this?
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 04:57:32 pm »
Yeah. I think they shouldn't be cut down too quickly, they should last more and fade down slowly (but still not too slow).
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 06:31:20 am »
Ah! Looks like it's over. Congratulations, sjegtp!  XD

[. . . ]
I would've added one more compass with a 1/4 note or a 1/2 note of a full chord of strings in mezzo-forte with the volume falling down gradually.

My ignorance of musical terms is going to show here, but you're saying don't end the notes all at once and let them quickly fade into silence at random (but still together) times? Like this?

Beat me to it :P
Alright! With the voting over it's congratulations to sjegtp, with his piece The Dragonfly's Trip!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.641 seconds with 59 queries.

anything