Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Xbox 720 will require always-on internet connection  (Read 3253 times)

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
New Xbox 720 will require always-on internet con...
« on: April 02, 2012, 01:54:17 pm »
http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/02/xbox-720-detailed-blu-ray-inside-always-on-netcon-required/
Xbox 720 has been fully detailed to some third-parties, VG247 has learned, and has been slotted in for a Christmas 2013 release. And yes: of course it’ll have a Blu-ray drive.

VG247 has learned that Microsoft has now detailed Xbox 720 to certain partners and has internally confirmed the machine for a Christmas 2013 release.

The next generation Xbox will have a Blu-ray drive, contrary to a recent report.

Multiple sources have confirmed this morning that the machine will have two GPUs. One said: “It’s like two PCs taped together.”

We’re waiting for final confirmation of specs, but the graphics cards are thought to be equivalent to AMD’s 7000 series GPUs, but “not CrossFire or SLI”. The GPUs aren’t structured as they are in a normal dual PC set-up, in which the two chips take it in turns to draw lines of the same object: Xbox 720′s graphics units will be able to work independently, drawing separate items simultaneously.

It was reported last week that PlayStation 4, internally codenamed Orbis, will also be powered by AMD hardware.

There will be “four or six” cores to the Xbox 720 CPU, one of which will be reserved for Kinect and one for the OS.

Xbox 720 will require an always-on internet connection as an anti-piracy measure.

We’ve also been told that the next generation of Kinect will be built into the device as standard.

The details have emerged in the wake of a hastily removed tweet from Sean Tracy, a technical designer for Crytek, that said he was attending the “Durango summit” in London at the end of February. Durango is though to be the codename for the console.

Microsoft is not expected to announce anything pertaining to its next machine until next year.

Many developers have been posting job openings for “next-gen” and “future-gen” systems for months.

lol consoles
Re: New Xbox 720 will require always-on internet...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 03:01:11 pm »
More reason to heck the console I suppose. Really, console developers/game publishers have to worry about a whole lot less piracy than those that develop for PC simply because it is harder for the regular user to circumvent the protection. I would have thought they'd learnt from ubi's fiasco with their always on DRM that it doesn't work...
still, lol consoles pretty much sums up my thoughts on them nowdays anyway.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:04:22 pm by Dark光 »
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:42:15 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Multiple sources have confirmed this morning that the machine will have two GPUs. One said: “It’s like two PCs taped together.”

...I don't think so said source knows very much about dual GPUs.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:34:09 pm »
  • 笑い男
If this is real, then
The GPUs aren’t structured as they are in a normal dual PC set-up, in which the two chips take it in turns to draw lines of the same object: Xbox 720′s graphics units will be able to work independently, drawing separate items simultaneously.
Sounds very much like being able to draw to the TV and to say another screen, perhaps in the controller, at the same time :o

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 05:26:10 pm »
Ha ha April Fools right guys?

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:57:54 pm »
From an insiders point of view, the rumours have been hilarious recently (at least in terms of orbis, I know !@#$% all about durango).
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 05:59:08 pm »
  • 笑い男
From an insiders point of view, the rumours have been hilarious recently (at least in terms of orbis, I know !@#$% all about durango).

I've been thinking about you lately with the recent next gen (especially orbis) rumours, wondering how much you know :p

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 06:00:30 pm »

I've been thinking about you lately with the recent next gen (especially orbis) rumours, wondering how much you know :p
More than enough lol. :3. Just nothing I can say ;_;

We got politely reminded about confidentiality when the codename was leaked :P
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 07:13:16 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
I'm not taking any kind of console rumor seriously for the moment

I know a few gaming journalists and to be honest they're idiots who can't even check their sources, especially the guy on Kotaku. Anything you hear without a press release is 95% chance made up on the spot and printed by every news outlet anyway. I don't think even the XBOX360 rumors were this bad (All the stuff about TiVo and the PS3's piracy prevention measures and all that good stuff)
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 08:50:46 pm »
  • The Mad Programmer.
I'm more of a PS3 guy so this doesn't mean much to me. However, the internet always having to be on is terrible. I usually always play with my internet off, don't want to lose any bandwidth! Sure sounds like it's fake. Blu-rays definitely sounds good though, it's one of the Xbox's weak points.

The PS Orbis news sounds fake too. No more borrowing games from your friends or perhaps even having a second PSN account. No backwards compatibility either? Sounds like a deal breaker to most people, but we all know we're going to buy these consoles anyway. Gotta live with it.
I support:

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 09:03:34 pm »
This is why piracy happens. I'm just sitting over here with my books and free internet games waiting for the industry to implode.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 09:31:04 pm »
This is why piracy happens. I'm just sitting over here with my books and free internet games waiting for the industry to implode.
Don't say that, I'll be out of a job D:

The games industry crash of the 80's was bad enough, with the scale games are at currently, another crash would wipe out a good proportion of the western worlds GDP.

It won't happen anyhow, no matter what people say and how much they say they will "boycott" the next xxx game/console, you will never get enough people to do it to cause any noticeable impact. Everyone's gotta play that shiny new brown coloured shooter afterall!

Jeod

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 09:46:13 pm »
Yeah, but considering the smaller picture is further division of the gaming community, the larger picture is a concept that's either difficult to grasp, or we don't want to think about it. For example, let's travel down the Activision line.

-Activision begins adding more anti-piracy measures and crap like "always online"
-Intelligent gamers split from Activision and start focusing on different games
-The "loyal" gamers that stay call blasphemy if Activision tries to get creative and change the CoD formula (expanding their market)
-The result is that Activision stops advancing as a company (catering to a single market that doesn't change)

Just an example, but picture that on a broader scale. It's all about who you want to market to, and what your target market will accept as their version of standard quality.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:52:51 pm by Jeod »
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 09:54:37 pm »
-Intelligent gamers split from Activision and start focusing on different games
No, they will do what they always do; be very vocal about disliking the DRM, but still buying the game because they want to play it. This has been repeated time and time again.

-The "loyal" gamers that stay call blasphemy if Activision tries to get creative and change the CoD formula
This is a non-issue. Activision will never change the cod formula. It's the same thing most of the large publishers do now, given the global financial state. They will typically only fund games that have history, and are known to reap money. Professional game developer is not an area you want to be in if you want to be creative.

-The result is that Activision stops advancing as a company
Nope. Activision as a company will still bring in the profit and pay the shareholders, their ultimate aim - they are a business after all.

I'm just very jaded with most gamers "boycotts", I've almost never seen any of the gamers actually follow through. Typically they just use it as an excuse to justify pirating games, which they probably would do anyway.

Also, this dosen't mean I agree with DRM, or any of the other routes publishers are now taking, I'm just being realistic about what I expect of the majority of the gaming community.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:56:33 pm by Infini »

Jeod

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:04:54 pm »
I disagree. They will be vocal, but most will pirate the game.

I can agree with your line of thought on the formula, but my own opinion was geared towards innovative mixed with traditional. (See: Assassin's parkour)

Bringing me to my final point, "advancing as a company" is not equivalent to advancing as a business in my eyes. When I think of 'company', I think innovation. I think Apple, a company whose aim is (while ultimately profits as any business aims for) to come up with new ways to do something, or to make something more functional. The iPad was innovative. Look at how many lives changed for functionality because of it. The same with smart phones, GPS, Macbook Air.

The companies and businesses that want appeal to me should try to advance society as a whole, either before or alongside profits.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:08:33 pm by Jeod »

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 10:15:09 pm »
I disagree. They will be vocal, but most will pirate the game.
As I said, the people in those boycott groups will typically do so anyway. No net loss to anyone.

I can agree with your line of thought on the formula, but my own opinion was geared towards innovative mixed with traditional. (See: Assassin's parkour)
And look how much they have milked AC over the last few years? Not what I would call innovation. As I said, as soon as a franchise has been created that makes money, the publisher will not allow the developers to modify its mechanics, and will then proceed to milk the !@#$% out of it.

Bringing me to my final point, "advancing as a company" is not equivalent to advancing as a business in my eyes. When I think of 'company', I think innovation.
That's a very optimistic and idealistic view of this industry I'm afraid.

I think Apple, a company whose aim is (while ultimately profits as any business aims for) to come up with new ways to do something, or to make something more functional.
No, Apple's aim was to make their technology dumbed down enough that the average joe could use it (thus boosting sales -> more profit, profit is always the ultimate aim).

The iPad was innovative.
No it really isn't. It's a shiny table with the same functionality of an ipod/iphone at a far greater expense. The most innovative thing Apple has produced recently is the app store market system - which on a side note has also destroyed a lot of parts of our industry.

The companies and businesses that want appeal to me should try to advance society as a whole, either before or alongside profits.
Won't happen. Especially not in the games industry, to much money at stake.

Jeod

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 10:28:12 pm »
The transition from AC1 to AC2 is something I would call innovative. If AC3 turns out to be the same as Brotherhood and Revelations, then I'll bow to you on that one. I am indeed an optimist and an idealist.

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 10:38:53 pm »
The transition from AC1 to AC2 is something I would call innovative. If AC3 turns out to be the same as Brotherhood and Revelations, then I'll bow to you on that one. I am indeed an optimist and an idealist.
I'm curious, what do you define "innovative" as? All the AC's have the same gameplay mechanics and roughly the same graphics, the only thing that really changes is some extra story, few new weapons, etc.
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 10:46:00 pm »
I'm curious, what do you define "innovative" as? All the AC's have the same gameplay mechanics and roughly the same graphics, the only thing that really changes is some extra story, few new weapons, etc.

Maybe not innovative, but overall AC2 was better then 1

Jeod

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 10:53:03 pm »
AC1 was the same mechanic over and over. Imagine a bunch of little CoD clones crammed into one game. That's AC1. AC2 had diversity in their gameplay. It wasn't predictable.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 74 queries.