Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IE Error Disabling  (Read 3757 times)

IE Error Disabling
« on: March 26, 2010, 05:58:35 am »
  • You heard of the thing from the place with stuff?
There is this annoying error that says: "You are currently using Internet Explorer, this site dosen't officially support IE. Please upgrade to something better. Might I suggest FireFox or Opera?" Either way, I am not going to switch to either. Is there anyway I may disable the message?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:36:37 pm by Random »
Sorry, I can't think of a more interesting sig. > .>
Re: IE Error Disabling
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:11:15 am »
I wasn't sure if you were reading this in Nintendo Maniac 64's avatar image which uses a PHP script to determine if a browser is not Firefox or Opera, or otherwise if you were talking about the site itself. After more closely reading what you wrote, you're likely talking about the site. It isn't an error, the message cannot be disabled in Internet Explorer. There are a lot of benefits to browsers beyond Internet Explorer - namely speed and security. Also, it wasn't an error message, it's specifically designed to display that message.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 06:15:59 am »
I realise it isn't an error, but I just rather stick to the simplicity of IE for personal reasons. So as long as you have IE its there? Because it has really been bugging me. But what is the avantages of using Non-IE (on this site) besides security and comfurt.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:21:52 am »
The way the site's been scripted the visual elements and such don't work correctly on IE, that's why the message is there.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:36:07 am »
The way the site's been scripted the visual elements and such don't work correctly on IE, that's why the message is there.
It looks just fine for me. (Its the same for Mozila and IE.)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 06:58:09 am »
That is because obviously the bulk of the site's code was written when the latest version of Internet Explorer was not yet out; i.e. it probably displayed worse in the past, or its code was such that its displaying could not be guaranteed to be like other browsers. Other browsers are also faster in updating their features overall - e.g. tabbed browsing and .PNG transparency support was in them before Internet Explorer.

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 02:30:30 pm »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
IE7+ZFGC = Epic Fail

1: The CSS isn't parsed correctly and you get garbage where it shouldn't be.
2: The div tables get completely messed up.
3: The text overlaps at times

IE8+ZFGC = Same problems.

this is all personal experience, I never use IE unless i don't have a choice (Starting programs from usb is disallowed and i can't be arsed to run my .vbs script)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:32:33 pm by Antidote »
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 10:02:24 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
You still use IE? Wow, I feel sorry for you. If you study the browsers and stuff compared to IE, you'd be amazed at how much !@#$% Microsoft ripped off from them.

Get Firefox (or other browser) and use it. Much better, and we won't have to hear you complain about the message that only shows up when you use IE.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 10:19:59 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Get Firefox (or other browser) and use it. Much better ...

YES! I recommend Firefox... because it supports APNG! Then you can see the magic of my avatar! :D!
But no, seriously, I remember the happy day when I switched from IE to Firefox. It was like my birthday! Though, I haven't used IE since version 6 or something like that, so I don't know if it has improved much.

As far as errors go: I used to have errors with Firefox every now and then, but ever since version 3 I have had no issues at all. It's solid and I love it. But, like I said, I haven't even touched IE for a long time, so my argument is kind of lame, though you shouldn't have any problems if you switch... and APNG! 6,6
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:21:34 pm by FrozenFire »
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 10:28:27 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
LISTEN TO FF! HE KNOW WHAT HE DOING!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 11:18:23 pm »
I agree, switch to another browser, its the safest bet for you anyway. Though I wouldn't recommend Firefox... I switched to Google Chrome about a year ago, and honestly I would never go back. It has all the extensions, its faster, it looks far better and it is much more simple than internet explorer. Since simplicity is what you are after, then I think it would be perfect.

Though, if you really find it is bugging you, you could see if their is an alternative to the greasemonkey extension for internet explorer. You could easily have it removed using something like that. But I think that is google chrome and firefox only... which further supports reasons for using them instead.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 12:41:44 pm »
  • Minalien
How many of you that have posted actually know what the differences between the two that makes other options safer and more secure are, and how many of you are just idiots following what you've heard?

Internet Explorer 6, yes, is outdated, has security holes, and sucks complete ass. Seven was an improvement, but still isn't all that great. Eight and (the platform preview of) Nine are fairly decent and are coming up to par - nine even supporting some CSS3 elements at the moment. Don't tell others what they should or should not use based on what you've "heard" over the years. Besides, it's just good design work to try to support Internet Explorer because, like it or not, a large portion of the internet still !@#$% uses it.

I'm sure that Windy is working on IE support for the new site, and for now you'll just have to put up with the information bar on the current one.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 10:32:50 am »
How many of you that have posted actually know what the differences between the two that makes other options safer and more secure are, and how many of you are just idiots following what you've heard?

Internet Explorer 6, yes, is outdated, has security holes, and sucks complete ass. Seven was an improvement, but still isn't all that great. Eight and (the platform preview of) Nine are fairly decent and are coming up to par - nine even supporting some CSS3 elements at the moment. Don't tell others what they should or should not use based on what you've "heard" over the years. Besides, it's just good design work to try to support Internet Explorer because, like it or not, a large portion of the internet still !@#$% uses it.

I'm sure that Windy is working on IE support for the new site, and for now you'll just have to put up with the information bar on the current one.

You're right if I were to say that I don't know the differences exactly, and you're right that I can't, and most people here can't even pretend that we do. What I can tell you is that my job is as an IT technician, and that every callout I get where the user has a virus, usually use internet explorer 7 or 8. The only other thing in common with most of the machines is Symantec software, or vista. Though I have been called out to machines which are running Windows 7, and yes, the same issues surrounding guess what, internet explorer 8. So far I have yet to be called out to a single machine where the users primary browser was google chrome, and only one in three years that was firefox.

Call me dumb, or blind for basing it only on what I have seen (hundreds of machines). But to me the results speak for themselves, it is clear that internet explorer is a very unsafe browser, all versions. Most people I see are not running internet explorer 6, in fact the only people who are usually run Windows ME or 98 or something similar, because the rest have automatic updates enabled on XP, Vista or 7.

I'm also not the only technician who sees this, my dad is also a technician, and he claims similar experiences, not just with home users, but business users.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 11:18:05 am »
MaJoRa. There are a lot more reasons that you have to deal with mostly problems dealing with IE7 and 8. It definitely is not only IE's problem.

1) The biggest part of the population uses IE, because it is standard in windows (the most used OS in the world). That part is even larger among the people that need IT technicians to solve their problems.

2) Most viruses and problems are made for IE.

3) The people that need IT technicians to solve their problems are the people that do not know how to work with the PC in the first place. They visit websites that are unsafe and do not know what not to do and not to click on spam.

If people don't bring in the problems they wouldn't need anything solving also.
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 07:31:35 pm »
MaJoRa. There are a lot more reasons that you have to deal with mostly problems dealing with IE7 and 8. It definitely is not only IE's problem.

1) The biggest part of the population uses IE, because it is standard in windows (the most used OS in the world). That part is even larger among the people that need IT technicians to solve their problems.

2) Most viruses and problems are made for IE.

3) The people that need IT technicians to solve their problems are the people that do not know how to work with the PC in the first place. They visit websites that are unsafe and do not know what not to do and not to click on spam.

If people don't bring in the problems they wouldn't need anything solving also.

I agree to your first point, the vast majority of the people do use IE, because it is a standard on every machine. I think this sort of ties in with your third point too. These are also the people that do not know how to solve their own problems, and cant use a computer in the first place, they click on unsafe websites and do things they shouldn't. Though, you could also argue that those who do know what they are doing are using browsers such as firefox, safari and chrome, and that is why they are less likely to (though then I would have to go into detail about the security flaws, which I can't at this time).

You're second point however, I also agree with, this is for several reasons. The first reason is that it is the most common browser, it makes sense to problem a virus for it. The second is that it does have huge security weaknesses, making it easier to program them for, and these weaknesses are better known. But the reason for a lot of these flaws is because the software is not open source. Their are not enough people who are working on it to get rid of these problems. With open source browsers, you have people attempting to heck them all of the time for fun or to prove a point, and when this happens the weaknesses get resolved faster.

Anyway, I think we should continue this argument on a discussions board or something, would be far more fun, its like taking over some ones topic, since use debating this doesn't really help him get rid of the annoying error.
  • Elliott Parkinson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 67 queries.

anything