Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: [Idea] ZFGC Smash Bros.  (Read 16767 times)

Re: [Idea] ZFGC Smash Bros.
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 12:16:04 am »
SIDE NOTE:To make this even more better....Don't make everyone's sprites...If someone wants to be in the game...Have them make their own sprite sheet of their character....That'll knock out alot of members if you are looking for a specific number...Give us guidelines for character creation(ie number of moves....Pixel size....Coloring....Style)...
I thought about doing that, but the problem is that there are many popular members that simply *can't* sprite (I, for instance, though I'm not that popular... :P)

BTW, I'll post the recruiting topic soon.
I probably *can* sprite, but I don't like doing it much. It's just too tedious for me. :P

Drewdelz should let him use his engine (or better yet, MAKE IT !@#$% FREE SOFTWARE YOU CAPITALIST PIG). Seriously, he has no reason not to.

Lay off, !@#$% smoker.
Why should I release my engine to the pulic that took about 3 months to make?
Just so a bunch of n00bs can release 40 different shitty smash bros fangames a week?

I could help out with this project, but I'm not releasing my whole engine as source.

www.gnu.org

You should NEVER not release the source code. Why do you even want to make it binary only. Relax, pull your head out of your ass and you'll feel better.

Briannabo

The USS Enterprise
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 12:32:25 am »
  • Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain..
Lmao, this would be hilarious.
1-Yes
2-Yes
3-Why not?
4-I guess what everyone else said 500+
5- Guess so?
EDIT: One more question:
6-Sure why not.

kthx
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2007, 12:33:58 am »
If you make this, RELEASE THE SOURCE. (GPLv3 if possible)
Hmm... I might release the GM6 file, but only after I finish the whole project, and also if the spriters agree with it. I'm not saying I will do it for sure, but it's possible.
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2007, 12:44:43 am »
sjegtp, what could I help with once you get this project started?
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2007, 12:52:11 am »
The recruiting topic will include: Spriting, level designing, sound recording and composing

EDIT: Posted the recruiting topic: http://www.zfgc.com/index.php?topic=19512.0
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 12:59:51 am by sjegtp »
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 01:45:07 am »
Hmm... I might release the GM6 file, but only after I finish the whole project, and also if the spriters agree with it. I'm not saying I will do it for sure, but it's possible.
Why not? If it's a game about ZFGC, then it should belong to ZFGC. If it isn't released, then I don't want anything to do with it.
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 02:17:51 am »
Why not? If it's a game about ZFGC, then it should belong to ZFGC. If it isn't released, then I don't want anything to do with it.

What is with you, man?
A creator's sweat and blood goes into this !@#$%. They don't work their ass off FOR FREE just to have it stolen by some nub who'll claim it as theirs. If you want a public source so bad, make one and release it YOURSELF. Otherwise, you're just the punk who want's someone else to do all of the work for them.
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 02:33:19 am »
I'm a fan of open-source, but calling someone a capitalist pig because they won't let you use their code is going way too far. If they don't want their work in the public domain, it's their business. You shouldn't disrespect someone's artistic integrity for such a petty reason.

And I can't blame Drewdelz for not wanting to hand over SSB:NES. ZFGC hasn't been the fairest place to him in the past. >_>

Anyway, I wish you luck with this project. It would be nice to have a ZFGC community game that isn't text-based. =P (On that hand, does anyone have Nebetsu's from waaaay back? I've lost it.)
  • Yudia
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 02:37:10 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
Oi!
You stole my Idea!
http://www.zfgc.com/index.php?topic=662.msg206625#new
Ah well...
I'll let it slide...
If I get name in credits!
,;Sk;,
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2007, 02:45:57 am »

What is with you, man?
A creator's sweat and blood goes into this !@#$%. They don't work their ass off FOR FREE just to have it stolen by some nub who'll claim it as theirs. If you want a public source so bad, make one and release it YOURSELF. Otherwise, you're just the punk who want's someone else to do all of the work for them.
Please see this page:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/shouldbefree.html (it took me a while to find it, but it addresses this argument)
I'm a fan of open-source, but calling someone a capitalist pig because they won't let you use their code is going way too far. If they don't want their work in the public domain, it's their business. You shouldn't disrespect someone's artistic integrity for such a petty reason.

And I can't blame Drewdelz for not wanting to hand over SSB:NES. ZFGC hasn't been the fairest place to him in the past. >_>

Anyway, I wish you luck with this project. It would be nice to have a ZFGC community game that isn't text-based. =P (On that hand, does anyone have Nebetsu's from waaaay back? I've lost it.)
I was kidding with the "capitalist pig" part. Also, I'm a fan of Free Software, not necessarily Open Source. (actually, I'm with both, but Free Software encompasses the technical advantages and freedom at the same time)
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2007, 04:07:10 am »
Oi!
You stole my Idea!
http://www.zfgc.com/index.php?topic=662.msg206625#new
Ah well...
I'll let it slide...
If I get name in credits!
,;Sk;,
Sorry, I didn't read that topic, so I didn't know that someone else had that idea too. >.<
I really didn't mean to steal anyone's idea, sorry.
Er... what should I do now? Give credit? :P I guess so.
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2007, 06:08:43 am »
I already mentioned that... Like, page 1. Way back. :P

I just have to say: No !@#$% pixel-art please!!! Maybe like Alien Hominid style animations and !@#$%... damn, those explosions are genius. That gives me some inspiration to try that.
Eh?

uma

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2007, 06:14:36 am »
  • Ghosts can have Aliens too you know.
Ooh! Can I be in this? I could even sprite my own sheet and everything!
Ghosts of Aliens
Entire project progress: About 20%

My FurAffinity!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/umathefurry/
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2007, 12:55:03 pm »
Ooh! Can I be in this? I could even sprite my own sheet and everything!
Sure :). If you'd like to help with other sprites too you can post in the recruiting topic.

Also... I've done a character list (there are 30 characters) but I'm not sure if I was fair when I did it. Specially because I don't know much about ZFGC history and there might be members that I didn't know who deserve to be in the list more than others. If you think that someone should/should not be in this list please say it here, but remember that there are 30 characters, and I want there to be a certain variety in that list. (And please don't start posting things like "WYH AMI NOT IN TAHT LIST??!!1!!1 D:" or this topic will end up turning into a flaming war and I'd have to lock it. Don't be envy and selfish, please think twice before saying that you deserve to be in this list more than someone else.)

Also, I would have to ask the members in the list if they agree in being in the game, because I can't do it without their permission.

EDIT: @ Beavercanoe: That style would be rather difficult, I don't know if the spriters will be able to do it in that style so easily... it depends on whether the spriters are or are not able to use it.

EDIT2: Character List updated.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 09:40:17 pm by sjegtp »
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2007, 01:00:54 pm »
  • :3
Woot im on the list :P
  • daniel-kun
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2007, 02:41:20 pm »
  • IBV

It's probably the only way you will ever finish it. But then you also need to not use GameMaker since it's not made for collective development. You don't need permissions from the spriters to release you own code freely. However you *should* in that case choose the spriters that also wants to release their art freely. But they don't necessarily have to release it on the same conditions. While you might use the GPL for the code, they could use a CreativeCommons-BY-SA license for the art.

What is with you, man?

It's legally still yours so they don't "steal" it. You would just allow them to use it for more. In return you could "steal" back the improvements they make (as long as they release said improvement to the public). They can't claim it as theirs either because they need to give credit to everyone who made some part of the software.

Either way, if you have made it in Game Maker it's most likely not of interest for someone who wants to make free software. They want to use a tool that also is free software, and Game Maker is not one of those tools.

Public domain is not Open Source, public domain is not Free Software. Actually public domain in most cases means no source available. The reason for that is that legally no one can demand the source code as they can while the software is still copyrighted under a free software copyright license.

If he were himself more fair people would probably be more fair against him. In any case, releasing something under free software makes it easier to protect it from use (misuse) that is against the ethics of free software. There are organizations where the only thing they do is to help free software developers who has a problem with a license violator.

EDIT: I only want to be in the game if it's free software under a license compatible with GPL and made in something standard like C, C++, Python or something like that.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 02:46:14 pm by Venus »
My signature is empty.
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2007, 04:05:14 pm »
Let me clarify some things.

1-I only know 3 languages: VB6, GM6 and some C++. The language I'm most used to is VB, but I don't use it to make games anymore, because it's sort of limited. GM is better than VB for making gmes. And I don't know how to make graphics and sound in C++, and I'm not very used to this language either, so I could have so many problems with coding the project in C++ that it would end up being canceled. Unless I let someone else do the coding in C++ for me, but that's not my intention. If anyone wants to create a "ZFGC Smash Bros. C++ edition" topic, there is no problem, but that would be a completely different project, leaded by another person. There's nothing wrong with it, how many OoT2D topics did we have? I might even share the resources, for me there's no problem with it.

2-As it's something that will be done for ZFGC, with the playable characters being ZFGC members, this will be free. Since it will be free, why keep the code with me? I've already said I'm not jealous for my code. This is a fan game central, with many programmers that make free fan games, and releasing the gm6 file is benefical to the comunity, so that other programmers can learn the algorithms.

3-To tell the truth, I'm not very well informed about Free software, Public Domain, Open source or whatever, so I don't understand very well what what you guys are talking about. All I can do is release the gm6 file, do you want more than that?

And @Venus: I don't understand very well why you don't want to be in the game just because it will be made in gm6. It doesn't matter what language it was coded in, the important is that people will be able to play SSB using Venus :D. But it's okay if you don't want to, I won't make anyone a playable member without permission.
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2007, 04:40:24 pm »
  • IBV
Let me clarify some things.

1-I only know 3 languages: VB6, GM6 and some C++. The language I'm most used to is VB, but I don't use it to make games anymore, because it's sort of limited. GM is better than VB for making gmes. And I don't know how to make graphics and sound in C++, and I'm not very used to this language either, so I could have so many problems with coding the project in C++ that it would end up being canceled. Unless I let someone else do the coding in C++ for me, but that's not my intention. If anyone wants to create a "ZFGC Smash Bros. C++ edition" topic, there is no problem, but that would be a completely different project, leaded by another person. There's nothing wrong with it, how many OoT2D topics did we have? I might even share the resources, for me there's no problem with it.
It's because in C++ there's not "one" way of doing the same thing. Basically if you want to do sound and graphics you need to use a library. You can use libraries on a low level (directly on an OpenGL interface), or you can use a high level library that fixes everything for you (SDL). I recommend using something like SDL if you want to use C++ but with the ease of GameMaker. SDL is really easy to install, also on Windows if you use that. Although, I think you need to use something else than the MS compilers since they tend to make their own rules about the languages. You can use the GCC Windows port called MinGW. Using Dev-C++ or some other free software IDE will most likely mean you are using the MinGW compiler. If you need help with the language ask me. I could even help contribute to the project if it's free software and using C or C++. I can however not help if it's in Game Maker (even if it's free software) because it's; one against my ethics since it's non-free software and two not available on my platform (it's Windows only). The first reason alone is enough.

2-As it's something that will be done for ZFGC, with the playable characters being ZFGC members, this will be free. Since it will be free, why keep the code with me? I've already said I'm not jealous for my code. This is a fan game central, with many programmers that make free fan games, and releasing the gm6 file is benefical to the comunity, so that other programmers can learn the algorithms.
Good, that's exactly what free software is about. Except for mentioning free as in free of charge or "gratis". Free Software means software which gives you freedom. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to release it free of charge or "gratis". You can sell a binary (for the service of compiling the monster), but you also need to provide the source code, or make it available for free (of charge) if you distribute the binary. You are in no way forced to distribute it from the beginning to everyone or anyone at all, though.

3-To tell the truth, I'm not very well informed about Free software, Public Domain, Open source or whatever, so I don't understand very well what what you guys are talking about. All I can do is release the gm6 file, do you want more than that?
If you are interested you can read all about it on gnu.org. There's a difference between the three terms, however people abuse the words a bit here and there. But most people that see "source available" as a TECHNICAL advantage are for "Open Source", while those that think it's important mainly of ethical reasons are for "Free Software". Public Domain is simply that it has no legal restriction or requirements on it at all. A free software or open source program is still copyrighted with a license, although with a non-restrictive license (unlike the EULA of regular proprietary programs). Public domain is not copyrighted at all, or at least the law doesn't recognize it as such.

Also I think I explained what you can do more than release the .gm6 file above.

And @Venus: I don't understand very well why you don't want to be in the game just because it will be made in gm6. It doesn't matter what language it was coded in, the important is that people will be able to play SSB using Venus :D. But it's okay if you don't want to, I won't make anyone a playable member without permission.

Oh but it does matter what language it is made in. If it's done in Game Maker or in another "non-free" way I cannot play it myself for both ethical and technical reasons (as described before). I can't accept that I'm in a game I cannot play or watch (would you? :P). So I'm glad, and I thank you, that if you would decide to still do it in e.g. Game Maker that you don't include me. I do however hope more that you follow my advice. ZFGC would need to have some open community projects anyway, and this would be a good start.
My signature is empty.
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2007, 05:12:31 pm »
Thanks for explaining, Venus. :D

I will try that SDL library, and if I manage to learn it well I might change the project to C++, but as of now it's still GM6.1.
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2007, 05:19:56 pm »
I just thought of the best way to do the characters in this game...
Use external resources and design a "Character Creator" program that allows FAIR characters to be created with custom graphics. Meaning allowing a limited ammount of stats to be spread out, like speed, strength, ect...

Trust me, it's way easier than you think it'd be. (as long as you're not doing some crazy !@#$% like 40 moves per character)

BUUUUT, if you don't wanna do that, my opinion on the list, if you're going for most reconized members, I'd do the following:

Replace Uma with Bran (Bran371)
Replace Domo with Drewdelz (May sound self-centered, but I played a huge role in ZFGC's history. Both good and bad)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:39:20 pm by Drewdelz »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 73 queries.

anything