Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chrono Cross...compability for UKers..  (Read 2592 times)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Chrono Cross...compability for UKers..
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:42:50 am »
I loved Chrono Trigger. I want the sequel. Problem.

IM IN THE BLOODY UK!!!!
and it's in the USA

So, if I was to get a copy into the UK, would it play on my PS2?
  • Phoenix Heart
Re: Chrono Cross...compability for UKers..
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:29:26 am »

IM IN THE BLOODY UK!!!!
and it's in the USA

No. PAL and NTSC formats, remember?
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:34:56 pm »
  • *whistle*

IM IN THE BLOODY UK!!!!
and it's in the USA

Was there not some Freeloader-esque software for the PS/PS2? I'm sure there were ways to play import games on PAL-edition Sony consoles...

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:56:05 pm »
Damn. I really lvoed Chrono Trigger.
  • Phoenix Heart

gm112

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 02:37:24 pm »

IM IN THE BLOODY UK!!!!
and it's in the USA

Was there not some Freeloader-esque software for the PS/PS2? I'm sure there were ways to play import games on PAL-edition Sony consoles...
I believe Datel has a product for the playstation 1 that allows you to force PAL region on games. Although, I am not 100% sure. If all fails, can't you just use an emulator?

EDIT: I know Datel made a freeloader for the PS2, not sure if it works on PSX games.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 03:27:57 pm »
If I can prove I have the consoles, would an emul be wrong?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 04:29:10 pm »
Wrong is a matter of ethics.

Legality wise, its illegal regardless of if you have the console or game. whether you choose to do it or not is up to you.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 04:30:32 pm »

Like infini said, it's illegal even if you have the console. Just pirate the damn thing, screw ethics.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 04:32:21 pm »
  • b e p i s

Bro, the game isn't even sold in stores anymore. Come on. It's technically illegal, but it's not like pirating a new game where the manufacturer is actually going to lose profits from your actions.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 04:56:46 pm »
I suppose. I have got a PS1 and a PS2. So I guess I'm not taking out of Sony's profits. I would be adding.
  • Phoenix Heart

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 05:14:15 pm »
  • b e p i s
I suppose. I have got a PS1 and a PS2. So I guess I'm not taking out of Sony's profits. I would be adding.

Well it's not just that, it's that neither Sony nor Square actually receive any profit from the sales of the game anymore, because it is so old. Any time you purchase a copy, only the vendor gets money, not the manufacturer.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 06:22:55 pm »
  • *whistle*

Legality wise, its illegal regardless of if you have the console or game. whether you choose to do it or not is up to you.

Actually, if you owned a copy of the game - and the copy on your computer hard drive was identical to that on the disc of the game - then using an emulator would be legal in the UK. I forget the law exactly, but British law makes allowances of producing copies of copyrighted digital media for personal use. Emulators aren't intrinsically illegal, and owning an additional digital copy of media that you own a license to is also legal.
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 08:19:58 pm »

Actually, if you owned a copy of the game - and the copy on your computer hard drive was identical to that on the disc of the game - then using an emulator would be legal in the UK. I forget the law exactly, but British law makes allowances of producing copies of copyrighted digital media for personal use. Emulators aren't intrinsically illegal, and owning an additional digital copy of media that you own a license to is also legal.
Perhaps, but I'm sure the game/media/music company would screw you over someway if you tried to bring that argument to court.

gm112

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 08:22:38 pm »

Perhaps, but I'm sure the game/media/music company would screw you over someway if you tried to bring that argument to court.

You have a point. Look at how many times people have been sued for owning a burned CD with music on it? The RIAA are such bastards >_>.

You know, you don't necessarily have to dump an image to your hard drive to play it in an emulator. You could put the disc in your computer and just play it like that. There's no harm in that.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 07:17:01 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

IM IN THE BLOODY UK!!!!
and it's in the USA

Well, Chrono Cross isn't a proper sequel anyway; it's more like a spin-off. There are barely any similarities.

Chrono Cross is based off of the BSX game "Radical Dreamers". It barely has anything to do with Chrono Trigger whatsoever. Anyway, Chrono Cross is a rare game. You'll only be able to find a decent copy that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg via torrents.
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 08:20:07 pm »

I thought there was a law against it either way, because having the rom on your computer is creating an unautorised copy of the game. Or did they abolish that? orrrr am I thinking of the wrong country here?
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 01:46:58 pm »
  • *whistle*

I thought there was a law against it either way, because having the rom on your computer is creating an unautorised copy of the game. Or did they abolish that? orrrr am I thinking of the wrong country here?

Producing a second copy - or distributing any of the copies - would be unauthorised (I thinkit's only the one copy - I'll explain later why I might be wrong). The first copy is legal in the UK.

Works the same for music - however, this would mean that any copies of music on an iPod that were originally ripped off a CD are illegal - the first copy would be on the computer in iTunes.
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 01:48:49 pm »

Producing a second copy - or distributing any of the copies - would be unauthorised (I thinkit's only the one copy - I'll explain later why I might be wrong). The first copy is legal in the UK.

Works the same for music - however, this would mean that any copies of music on an iPod that were originally ripped off a CD are illegal - the first copy would be on the computer in iTunes.

I'm probably not the first to say this, but. Copyright laws are REALLY confusing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 71 queries.