Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Ocarina of Time to A Link to the Past Style Project (Great Deku Tree Finished!)  (Read 242875 times)

Sinkin

Team Dekunutz
Re: Teh Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of the Past
« Reply #600 on: April 17, 2012, 05:59:08 pm »
  • Idk
That palette is looking nice  :)
« Reply #601 on: April 17, 2012, 07:35:09 pm »
The dream is to build my own take on the idea of Ocarina of Time 2d, as true to a Link to the Past as possible... Basically a reimagining of Ocarina of Time, while following the same storyline and characters. 

At the moment I have no experience with coding, and I still have a long way to go as far as spriting characters and animations. Not to mention tiles and tiling the overworld map itself. I'm just doing this as a hobby, not really a project, but something I do plan to accomplish no matter how long it takes me

If I could gather a great team together, it may become something more, but I won't settle for anything that doesn't feel exactly like A Link to the Past did two decades ago.

I am with you.  I always thought OoT 2D should be done in a gameplay style almost exact to LttP, but includes the story from OoT.  The gameplay would already be established, you would just be programming to emulate LttP(which some users here have done a nice job of already).
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #602 on: April 18, 2012, 03:32:23 pm »
Nice palette. Reminds me a bit of one I did a while back. I did actually have a very similar colour palette to yours until I later changed it to this -

Still quite similar I think.
I would love to be able to help you some day somehow if you start a project and ever you need my help.
« Reply #603 on: April 19, 2012, 01:35:15 am »
Holy. ****.
« Reply #604 on: April 19, 2012, 02:02:38 am »
  • It's just Max.
Wow! That's sweet, amigo. I really like the way you worked the elevation changes, and the way you chose the reposition most things. Is the house by the end of the bridge thing Link's house, though? I feel like the alterations you made to it make it a little less cool, although I mave to give you... it's a lot more practicaly, both for gameplay and spriting, and overall aesthetics of the map. That area does seem a little open, though.

I havn't decided how I feel about the palette, but I do know that look radical!
« Reply #605 on: April 19, 2012, 02:23:16 am »
The elevation changes took forever to figure out, until I finally became tired of working with the ALTTP 'mountain' tiles and decided to completely change what I was doing. Link's house is the one on the far right of the map, with the deck/balcony/porch.

The reason for the changes is simply perspective. It's taking a 3d game and reworking it into 2d, and some things do not translate well. I've seen most people tend to keep Link's house as it was positioned on OoT, but it would be facing the wall at the bottom of the map, because in 3d the house is facing what would be up on this map.

This is what it looked like when I began, and also with my Kokiri sprites for fun...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:24:55 am by Master Yoshi »
« Reply #606 on: April 19, 2012, 10:44:50 am »
Master Yoshi, youre a genius! I cant begin to tell you how incredible that looks. I REALLY like that you decided to alter the layout to better fit with 2D and the style of ALTTP. I truly think this is the best way to go about it. Alterations have to be made to make it look good and be practical. Keep doing your thing, my friend.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #607 on: April 19, 2012, 12:37:26 pm »
I don't see how the vines fit with the true LttP style you're going for, because Link can't climb like in Minish Cap. I replaced them with wooden stairs just to see how it looked.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #608 on: April 19, 2012, 01:16:36 pm »
The vines are an aesthetic choice, and are from Four Sword Adventures. I felt they matched the style enough to be included. Also, it wouldn't necessarily require a climbing animation, it could work the same as the stairs/ladders in ALttP... But a climbing animation is probably going to be necessary, as it plays a major role in OoT.

Finished decorating. I think this map is complete. The Deku Tree area will be a separate room, I'm thinking. Not sure about the rest.
« Reply #609 on: April 19, 2012, 02:48:18 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
Amazing job as always Master Yoshi.

Two things though :

1 - I don't think there is enough room for Link to move there.
2 - I don't understand the use of those vines.

Otherwise splendid job. Now please finish that Deku Tree, as I'm sure it will turn out insane :)

EDIT : Oh and I just noticed that the tree trunk on the bottom right of the image is missing a tile on its top right.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:54:19 pm by AleX_XelA »
« Reply #610 on: April 19, 2012, 03:26:04 pm »
The way I used the vines on the stump tiles is a replacement for the ramp that circled Saria's house, because I am lazy and that would have been a pain in my ass to sprite. I wanted only the bottom right tree stump to be climbable, so that you can't just climb the one of the far left and grab the blue rupee. And thanks for noticing that tiling error, I had to fix a ton since the original image I posted... I was using a tileset that was offset by one pixel, and I didn't catch it until the map was done. That was all redone on the most current pic I posted.

Ah, the Deku Tree. I will finish one soon, it's just difficult to nail the look I want it to have.

Oh, also the vines are necessary to cover the doorway that existed on the original sprite.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:29:22 pm by Master Yoshi »
« Reply #611 on: April 19, 2012, 04:54:40 pm »
The vines are perfect to replace the spiral ramp but I think it would be better to use a different(edited) tree stump for the other pillars. I made an edit by getting rid of the doorway -

I also fixed the shadow colours by using the same colours from your main tree shadow palette -

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:20:40 pm by Skeme KOS »
« Reply #612 on: April 19, 2012, 06:28:27 pm »
Not bad, sir. I think I'll use that.
« Reply #613 on: April 19, 2012, 08:42:16 pm »
Yay! Glad you like it.
Slightly off topic, but Im wondering what you think about using south-facing cliff vines or stairs. Would you use them, or do you you think they dont fit LTTP style? Personally I really dont like them at all and think the level design should be altered to make sure they are never needed.
What are your thoughts on it.
« Reply #614 on: April 19, 2012, 08:59:23 pm »
Depends on if the location is overworld or dungeon. I wouldn't use them for overworld, but I can't think of a scenario where they would be needed?
« Reply #615 on: April 20, 2012, 03:40:53 pm »
Looks really nice. I hate seeing people desperately trying to copy exactly how it looks in OoT. You need a bit or artistic freedom since you are making a 3D-game into a 2D one. Better to make it fit aLttP perspective than something weird looking and unplayable.

I like the vines, they fit. Tho the Deku Tree 'entrance' might be better suited on the middle right side?
« Reply #616 on: April 20, 2012, 04:46:28 pm »
I'm undecided on where I want the Deku Tree area entrance... I like where I've put it now, as I considered doing the area as a new room similar to the Master Sword pedestal in ALttP, but then again it would be really cool for the Deku Tree to be included in my entire overworld map. I may take the suggestion and move it to the east, middle section, like in the original. I can always put the secret area that you can access with the magic bean where I currently have the entrance.

Ok, so here is the map as of today, with some adjustments and additions. I fixed the vines on the platforms for the bridge area and added some more bushes by the house on the far right, to make the area less bare.

Also did a quick mockup, with the ALttP hud to see how it would look in game.

I'm probably going to be working on the Kokiri Sword area, Lost Woods and Deku Tree area when I find some time from work so that I can focus some time into this. I also already have the Market area planned out, as well as Kakariko village, but I have a ton of tiles to be made to make those places happen. I don't want to reuse the original ALttP houses.
« Reply #617 on: April 21, 2012, 05:49:48 am »

Heavily WIP, hence the blurryness.

And yes, Random, it's using yours as a base for now, because I liked the shape of the ALttP trees, which yours had. Before I am finished it will be completely drawn over, no worries.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:53:00 am by Master Yoshi »
« Reply #618 on: April 21, 2012, 08:32:58 am »
  • Credits to BaB
It looks amazing!
IMO, the nose does not quite fit the LttP style, but I have no clue on how you could change that.
« Reply #619 on: April 21, 2012, 11:17:24 am »
  • Master Of Disaster
It looks amazing!
IMO, the nose does not quite fit the LttP style, but I have no clue on how you could change that.
I'd say more contrast with the shading. More defined shape and shadows on the nose. More like the shading on the trunk. But it's obviously a WIP, so I wouldn't worry about it. :P
Looks pretty damn awesome so far! :o

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 78 queries.