Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Completed] A Custom Simplified Webhost!  (Read 3466 times)

cpprograms

Banned
[Completed] A Custom Simplified Webhost!
« on: August 29, 2007, 04:37:53 am »
So I can't believe it, but it's finally done. I've finished a releasable version of one of my biggest projects. Some of you might have heard me referencing GS or GameSitez up until a few months ago, this is it.

I started the project as GameSitez about 3 summers ago before I left for a vacation. The idea was to make a simple webhost for forum goers and the such to display their projects with little to no work. I intended the project to be very simple on the php end, but as time went on it became evident that this was unrealistic. I worked on it until around the end of that year and it became pretty impressive... for my little php knowledge. I dropped it for a bit after that for other projects and then came back to it for a few months some time the next year. I continued work on the forums mostly at at that time, but I also added a lot to the administration side of the site. Eventually it dropped again, only to be picked up early this year. I worked on it up until now pretty constantly, and I redesigned a lot of what I designed. I came to find much of what I did was rather badly coded and recoded a lot of it. Eventually I found a better host than my house and moved it, as well as buying myself a domain name for it.

And now, Project Pages is open.

It's a free webhost, it has a google search and google ads at the bottom of the pages. I know they're somewhat annoying but they can be removed. It is gonna cost a bit to host it and the ads being on there will hopefully make a dent in those costs.

I'd have to say my biggest accomplishment on it is fully working forums, and a pretty good user system. Each site comes with a board that can have up to 10 (I believe) forums, and as many categories as you can cram forums into. The posting and bbcodes and emoticons work fine. There are locked topics as well as stickied ones. The forums have a skin to match their websites'.

I coded a pretty advanced site coloring system... it works for everywhere. It now also includes a banner generator as well as button generator. A layout previewer is also built in now.

With it you now get your own subdomain, which wasn't half as hard to code as I expected. It also allows for uploads and images.

If any of the restrictions on storage etc are too small for your project, get in contact with me. I intend to eventually set up a system for paying for upgrades, but chances are right now I'll do it for free, since this is so new.

And for my beta testers that stuck around, (tet and xero mostly, zell for being around as well) thanks a ton, I owe ya. Free account upgrades are open to you peoples :P

So thanks for giving it a look people, hoping to hear lots from you.

~ Chris
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:51:09 am by 4Sword »
  • cpprograms

mit

Re: A Custom Simplified Webhost!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 09:32:11 am »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
Dammit, I've been working on a very similar project for months... Well, not exactly the same, but a similar idea.

I congratulate you on finishing something as big as this by yourself. I'll sign up later and check it out some more.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games

cpprograms

Banned
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 02:20:59 am »
I'd like to see/hear about your project. I am kind of surprised that someone else was doing this. I guess that I shouldn't be since it isn't *that* original of an idea and I've been working on it four years :P

I'd like to ask for your help improving the site but I'm not sure what you could do for it at the same time.

Idk, let's talk about it at some point, thanks for visiting :)
  • cpprograms
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 02:40:34 pm »
Uh...how exactly do we edit and such?I goto my site and cannot change anything...
Do I ftp mystuff to that address?

-_-...Nevermind...<----EDIT
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 03:25:31 pm »
Like I asked you before, I couldn't be active at the IRC because it's very laggy at my PC. I'm not saying you have to put me in the list, but at least make a page for giving people credits.
  • Virtual Security

cpprograms

Banned
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 06:02:49 pm »
The About Us page gives credit to some people, not everyone yet. I'll update it later when I'm home and have access to the list.

Also, did you use the Java IRC client or mIRC? I suggest trying out mIRC if you want to use IRC, as it's much faster and can do much more. It also has its own scripting language, which I personally find fun. If you don't wanna use IRC don't bother but it might make the experience more fun.

Maybe I'll add java chat to the site soon. It would be REALLY easy to do - each site could have its own chatroom... *thinking* maybe I could even reg it for them...

• cpprograms

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 02:35:32 pm »
  • hungry..
Cool :).. it would be nice if the site looked a little more professional, but looks like you've been working on this for a while :) Keep it up!
  • My Blog

cpprograms

Banned
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 04:10:01 pm »
Well, the idea is for it to appear to be simple. How, exactly would I make it look more "professional" without losing the simple factor - making the host seem really easy to use? I want to be *sure* any features the main site uses are available to all users.
  • cpprograms
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 07:22:24 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Use a lot of white, and some basic images in your design, and also use a sans-serifed font. This will make it look simpler, and overall better. Now that that's out of the way, this seems like a cool idea. Good job!

I did a mockup of what a professional version of your sight might look like.
  • Lionfish Apps

cpprograms

Banned
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 07:47:13 pm »
... Dude, I really like that. ... Hrm... I'm pretty sure I could make skins like that in a short while. Expect to see them coming in the coming weeks. It won't be immediately accessible to the public, not until I sort things out, but it's coming. I think I'll put that before getting IRC working fully, as I don't know how I'm gonna create channels yet. I should be able to get it working somewhat quickly - It'll be interesting to get images like that working tho... Hmmm... * pondering *

Anyway, it may be a little while but I want to make that layout work.

Thanks for the mockup - that gave me some will to work on this believe it or not :P
  • cpprograms
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 07:50:42 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Glad you like it. :P I try and pride myself as a pretty good website designer. I hope you can get it done!

EDIT: I'm making an account, and I'd like to note that the button still says "Register for GameSitez" or something along those lines. Might wanna change that to Project Pages.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 12:16:28 am by Moldorma »
  • Lionfish Apps

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 11:38:49 am »
  • hungry..
If you want something simple, why not go for something like this;
  • My Blog

cpprograms

Banned
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 11:56:52 am »
Glad you like it. :P I try and pride myself as a pretty good website designer. I hope you can get it done!

EDIT: I'm making an account, and I'd like to note that the button still says "Register for GameSitez" or something along those lines. Might wanna change that to Project Pages.

Thanks man, knew I still missed one.

And dayjo, a bit too yellow and white. I just woke up and that one makes my eyes hurt :p
  • cpprograms

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 12:51:17 pm »
  • hungry..

>_> .. I can keep going?
  • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 01:55:11 pm »
>_> .. I can keep going?
This one looks quite awesome.
  • Virtual Security

cpprograms

Banned
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 02:58:57 pm »
Dayjo: sure :P Idc if you want to

That one could be done now very easily :P though it'd look a little different with big blue. I could add that image if I wanted to. :P
  • cpprograms
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 08:15:51 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Dang, Dayjo, you rule at those. :o

There, I made a new one. :D I even rewrote your introductory speech. Feel free to use it (please do!)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 12:33:32 am by Moldorma »
  • Lionfish Apps

cpprograms

Banned
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 05:20:32 am »
Thanks man, I like the colors, and some of the speech. I might change the grammar in a place or two if I use it. Not of my first concern right now though, sorry.

Anyway, new feature alert. Sites now have the ability to have a built in java chatroom, which is styled off of your theme. It uses the same applet ZFGC does. I was going to code something to connect to IRC and register a nickname and channel for the user but I decided that was too complicated to pull off, and just not worth it. I decided to leave that up to the user instead, and just put a tutorial up on the site on how to register a nickname and channel.

No new themes as of yet, or new layouts. I'm working on the layouts, the themes I think I'm gonna leave on the backburner for the time being. I have bigger things I'd like to get working first.

Always looking for new ideas, so please post em if you have em!

~ Chris
  • cpprograms
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 73 queries.

anything