Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: [DEMO] Mario & Luigi - The Hunt For King Boo  (Read 12934 times)

Re: [DEMO] Mario & Luigi - The Hunt For King Bo...
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 08:18:17 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Hmm, not sure why but when I open the game it seems to randomly not have sound 50% of the time.
(I have to exit the game and then re-opening it'll either have sound or none at all again)
Basic PC Info if that helps: Win7 64bit, 6GB RAM

Right off the bat I messed up the controls cuz I'm an idiot... lol Maybe have a button to reset controls to default?

Again I'm probably just being an idiot, but I can't seem to start a game...
Scratch that, found the key... That thing just looked like a mailbox to me. lol Playing now I'll write more when I'm done.

At first I tried standing by the doors and hitting random keys. All I did was restart the game when I "R". lol You should make it so it at least requires "alt+R" to restart, othterwise people could hit the R key itself fairly easily and restart the game. That would suck.

EDIT: Back from playing some more, it's pretty fun and overall well done.
I think you should stick with the 16bit, so the graphics don't seem so blurred and smudged. Looks like low quality .jpg files atm.

Also, did you record the level complete sound directly from a gameboy speaker? haha That's what it sounds like. :P

The intro is nice, why not use that same textbox engine for hint blocks and such?

Love the overworld also. :D But I think the ingame levels should reflect the overworld more. Like when the stage is shown on the beach sand on the overworld, the ingame stage should actually be set on a beach or at least sand.

So got to this level and ended up stumped... How do I even pick this key up in the first place if I can't stand ontop of it? :/

Oh, guess you have to jump and duck just right. Seems more like glitching the engine mixed with luck is needed to achieve it though, rather than skill.

Let me see if I can hit each point.

- First of all I failed to mention that there is a Menu Key.  (Default "U") you can save you progress in the overworld.

- Hm...  Really not sure why the sound is not working for you...  I have never had an issue with it...  I am using midi's though which act weird sometimes.

- Yeah the key must be taken to a door to start a file...  lol a mailbox!  That didn't occur to me, maybe I will change it a bit if I  
   need to.

- Yeah I meant to get rid of that "R" reset button.  It was for debug only...  My mistake.

- There are a lot of low quality sounds currently set as place holders, because I couldn't find a single sound effect from the  
   original on the net.  If anybody has any, or would like to remake any I would love to have them...  I just don't know how to
   make sound effects...  Yeah some of them were recorded off of the game boy directly...  Like I said it is a place holder though until  
   I can get something better.

-  Hint block text is different because of the limited scope of the text box engine I have...  That or I just couldn't figure out how
   to manipulate it.  As the text box engine is now it requires specific room dimensions to look right...  That is why I couldn't use it
   in most of the levels.  I would like to get a better text box engine, but until I do, or find a way to dynamically manipulate the
   one I have, I have to stick with the built in text in most cases...  Kinda sucks for now.  It will change though at some point.  
   Speaking of the text box engine though.  I can not for the life of me remember where I got it...  If anybody knows who made it
   I would like to know so that I can at least temporarily credit them...

- Levels matching over world:  Yes I agree.  I need to make a ton of more tiles and such for that, so it will take time.  I figured
  that the way it is now is good enough for the demo.

- As far as being stuck in the level goes, you just have to stand by the key, push the duck key, and then jump.  When you are
  ducking you can slide right on top of it...  Now that you mention it though it does seem a little weird to do it that way.  I will
  probably change that so thanks!

I will fix some of these things and repost the demo.  Thanks for your feedback, it really helps!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:47:58 pm by Aero88 »
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 03:01:16 am »
Just tried the demo, but couldn't get far because of some control issues. I don't know, but it takes over 2 seconds before the game recognizes any key input, which really makes the whole objective of getting the key to the door frustrating. The game is also running pretty slowly sometimes, making those 2 seconds into 5 seconds. I don't know if others are facing this, but I just want you to know.

Anyways, this game is great. The engine seems solid, and the ideas seem creative (even though the game was slow). The blurry effect also adds to the mario effect. It reminds me of Paper Mario on the N64 (good times....).
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 01:46:42 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Just tried the demo, but couldn't get far because of some control issues. I don't know, but it takes over 2 seconds before the game recognizes any key input, which really makes the whole objective of getting the key to the door frustrating. The game is also running pretty slowly sometimes, making those 2 seconds into 5 seconds. I don't know if others are facing this, but I just want you to know.

Anyways, this game is great. The engine seems solid, and the ideas seem creative (even though the game was slow). The blurry effect also adds to the mario effect. It reminds me of Paper Mario on the N64 (good times....).

2 seconds...  No it certainly shouldn't do that.  It is pretty zippy on my computer.  Do you have an old computer?  I hope that this problem is not common...  I know that there are things that I coded that were not as efficient as it could be, but I didn't think it was enough to make that big of a difference...  Thanks for letting me know.
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 02:22:24 pm »
Yeah, there was definitely no speed issues when I played it. Ran very smoothly.
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 04:16:41 pm »
#1 No sound.  I have an Alienware m11x R2.  It's not a hardware issue.
#2 Changing resolutions is bad.  You should never really have the actual size of the window.
#3 Already got an error right after Boo went through the door or whatever after the window size changed.
Code: [Select]
for object Pause_Menu:

Error in code at line 34:
       if Mario.hspeed = 0 && Mario.vspeed = 0 && Mario.On_Ground == 1
                ^
at position 15: Unknown variable hspeed

#4 After this error, the game crashed completely.  It closed itself.

I also have a question: Why is a demo over 9 megs?  I assume it must be the music I cannot hear?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:34:25 pm by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 07:30:46 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
^Hm...  That is not good.

1)  Unfortunately you are not the only one having issues with the sound...  Even worse I have no idea why it isn't working for
     you...  I have never had an issue with it on my computer.  It is a Mac Mini running Windows XP.

2)  I will have to double check when I get home, but it is not set to change resolution.  I have it set to scale to your screen...  I
     am at work now though so I will check when I am home.  Thanks.

3)  I have not gotten this error before, and believe me I have spent a lot of time trouble shooting.  Of course it is for these
     types of errors that it helps to have multiple people to help with testing.  Were you pushing any buttons or did it just happen. 
     Any info that may help me to narrow it down.  Again I will look at this in more detail when I am home from work.  Thanks!

4)  ...Same response as #3

The file is larger than I would like, but yes.  It is primarily because of the music that most of you are having problems hearing...  I wish I could say turn your speakers on...  But obviously that is not the issue.  There are also a lot of sprites, but mostly music and sound effects.  They are midi files which I am guessing is contributing to the strange behavior...  Apart from that the demo is pretty big game play wise...  For a demo at least. 

Hm...  I wish it worked for you all like it does on my computer...  It is pretty sweat actually!  Anyway.  Thanks for your help!
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 08:09:02 pm »
Just tried it again. It works much more smoothly (It may be because I have been using my computer was on for a while before and I have just played it moments after it started, I don't know). But I still see some trouble either with the game speed or the controls. They aren't as responsive and someitmes mario continues running even after I let go of the keys. However, it is running smooth enough to be playable and I actually found the game to be fun.

Just so you know, I am running the game on a somewhat cheap laptop, but it was bought a couple of months ago.
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 07:41:34 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
@ Theforeshadower

Okay I have played around with the game a bit and found that error which you mentioned.  You must have pressed the menu button during that cut scene which is what generated the error.  As far as it quitting on its own afterwords...  Are you sure you didn't press the "A" key when the message poped up?  If you did it would automatically abort the game...  When I got the error I pressed ignore and the game continued just fine.  
     I had intended to keep the menu button from functioning during cutscenes, but I overlooked that case.  Anyhow that is now fixed.  I also checked on the changing resolution and the game is not set to adjust resolution.  Room sizes and view sizes change, but not the resolution.  I have it set on the scale to screen mode.  As far as sound goes I am extremely puzzled as to why some people get none.  I have tried a number of computers and every single one I have tried has had no issue at all...  I am wondering if someone who has more experience with this type of trouble shooting may be willing to take a look at my .gmk file and see if there is anything they can do.  If someone would like to PM me and I will send you the .gmk for the game.  I know that my coding is not the most efficient, but it is indented and commented almost completely...

Some people have been able to get sound if they quit the game and start it again...

@Everyone

Anyway I also added some extra lives throughout the levels.  I am hoping that some more people will try this.  I feel the game is being overshadowed by some strange glitches (all of which are fixed with the exception of the sound).  I know that this is a Mario fan game on a Zelda fan site, but as many of you have said you wanted to get more types of projects on this site...  This is what I am trying to offer.  In reality the game is quite extensive and a butt load of work has gone into making it.  Lets keep ZFGC active!

I don't know if anybody has made it to the end yet, but I was quite happy with the final boss sequence...  I would like to hear what you guys think of it.  There are also two bonus levels in the game.  The first one is unlocked easily, but the second one is harder to find...  If you want me to tell you how to unlock it send me a PM.

edit:  One last thing.  If you do happen to screw up the controls you can save quit and delete the controls file.  Controls will be restored to their default.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 07:43:29 pm by Aero88 »
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 11:51:27 pm »
I think you should make Escape key not close the game so fast. Have it so there's a confirmation screen or something, or have it at least save when it quits.
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 02:33:48 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
So I was going through one of my old email addresses and I found out that this game demo was picked up by Softpedia.  I don't know if that is a terribly amazing feat as I have never heard of them before, but I thought it was cool at least.  As far as updates go though I have not posted anything here in a good while I did get some help from another guy (Vinnie Video from over at MFGG) to improve the games performance, unfortunately I don't think it added up to make a whole lot of difference, but better is better right?  Anyway, unfortunately the game requires a fast computer.  I'd say at least 2 Ghz.  But that is what happens when you continue on from a project that you were learning on back in the day.

Here is a link to that Softpedia page...  Have any of you heard of Softpedia before?  It doesn't look like anything too outstanding.
http://games.softpedia.com/get/Freeware-Games/Mario-and-Luigi-The-Hunt-for-King-Boo.shtml

edit:  I am not at the computer that has the slightly improved demo on it, but when I get there I will upload it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:37:25 pm by Aero88 »
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 01:13:35 am »
  • "Know suffering! Know death!"
wow, it looks great, and the demo is very good! i loved mario vs dk, good luck at it!
"I am the wellspring of darkness, fed by Zemus's unbridled hate... I am He who is called Zeromus... I am he who knows naught but hate!"

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 02:17:47 am »
Never realized there was a demo for this, gonna try it :D

So far not bad, Will collecting Peach's things lead to something in the game? Since in 1-2 you can wall up jump to the key, grab it and beat the level in like a few seconds

Is there sound since i'm not getting sound

Also i notice that if Mario falls from a certain height he will roll and look hurt, will there be a sort of counter for too high jumps or will Mario never get hurt from the falls?

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 01:36:22 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Great.  Glad you guys like it. 

Right now collecting peaches things doesn't do anything in the demo, but the plan is to have it unlock some bonus levels if all are collected in the game.  Same with the Stars, but you can't even collect stars yet. 

The game does have sound, but for some random reason some people don't get any sound when they play (Some people have said they were able to get some by quitting and restarting the game, but I don't know because it always works on my computer).  I don't know why just yet, but I am hopping that when I update the game to a newer version of game maker it may solve the problem.

As far as the Mario falling, it all depends on how far he falls.  If it is a small drop nothing will happen, a further fall will make him roll when he hits the ground, further still and he will splat on the ground and is stunned for a short animation, but if it is too far he will land on his head and dies.

Unfortunately I coded the bulk of this game before I knew how to use switch statements and other efficient things like that so there have been complaints about lag on slower computers, but everyone I have heard from that has had a fast enough computer has found the game to be really fun.  Hope you enjoy it!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 63 queries.

anything