Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: [Game] TLOZ: Chaos Rising  (Read 56520 times)

Re: [Trailer] TLOZ: Chaos Rising
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 09:50:54 pm »
I've spend several weeks debugging stuff and have created all the basic enemies now.
Just need to debugg the improved stalfos and I'm done with this part of the game design.
1 more day to go, with some luck I might start the next year working on the next part of the game.

On other things, even as the engine now almost has everything needed to make a game and that the overworld has been done, except for the enemie and npc placement it will still take me a very long time to finish the project. I simply dont have that much time to work on this as I would like to, but a week only has 7 days of 24 hours, and most of that time seems to be filled with other things.

So I am wondering, should I release the open source engine of this game when the stalfos is done?
I would not include the backgrounds to prevent people to claim Chaos Rising as their game, but I would not mind other people using the engine as an example / base for their game.

1 note: credits are not yet included, there are some things in it that were (partially) done by others like I'm using GoodNights movement for Link, but as this project has been here for several years I dont really remember whom else to credit for a few things.
Re: [Engine released] TLOZ: Chaos Rising
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 07:40:39 pm »
Good, its been a long time since I've posted anything in here.
And there has been some progress:

the basic enemies have been completed;
I have started working on the dungeons. For a few dungeons the backgrounds have been completed.
at current speed TLOZ: CR will not be completed during 2012, but might be ready early 2013.
amount of rooms from overworld, houses, caves and dungeons will be 692 + rooms from movies / startup menu.

Special note, I have decided not to create a demo. Making a special demo area takes time and this project already seems to take all the short moments of time that I got. However, I have decided to release the engine. Hoping that it can be usefull to others, but also hoping that it won't be used to create a Chaos Rising clone before it is even finished. (For that reason the backgrounds and rooms have almost all been removed )

Its not perfect so if you find any bugs I would appriciate to hear them so I can improve my game.
To use the engine you will need a registered version of gamemaker 8.1 or at least thats what I'm using.
Have fun checking out the engine,

( yes I know it looks kinda messy and that the credits are not all complete )
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:21:26 pm by Atomicd1 »
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 06:50:41 am »
Wonder what I have to do here to get some more replies in this topic.
Uploaded the engine 5 days ago, its only been downloaded 4 times, 1 other then me voted and got 0 replies.
(download link in the post above this one when logged in. )

Progress update: I'm almost done working on the dungeon backgrounds.
Should be able to finish the last dungeon during the next weekend.
After that its time to actually create the dungeonrooms in gamemaker and then to put in the solid items that limit movement in the rooms, thats gonna take some time though. making a few hundred rooms doesnt go that fast.
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 09:43:12 pm »
These forums aren't as active as they used to be because nobody has finished a LoZ game in ages.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 11:24:41 pm »
well, I can understand that people have given up hope that a game will actually be finished because of the high amount of fangames that haven't been completed. But I do intend to finish this one. There are hundreds of hours in it, the main engine is done, almost all backgrounds are done.
I've done to much to just give up. It will take time, but if I keep working in this without pausing it, it shouldn't take more then a year time to finish things.

to do list:

• finish last dungeon background
  • seperate the dungeon backgrounds for loading into gamemaker ( each room loads seperatly, the background is 1 total at the moment )
  • create dungeon rooms in gamemaker
  • put solid objects into the dungeon rooms
  • create bosses and minibosses
  • code door, key and switch function for dungeons
  • place enemies into dungeons
  • bug test dungeons
  • code the npc's and place them in houses / overworld
  • place enemies at the overword / cave rooms
  • background sounds
  • implement the storyline texts
  • bugtesting
  • final bug fixing and 1 last testrun
  • release the game

The hardest part will be making the bosses and minibosses, but considering what already has been completed I think the hardest part of making the game is done.
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2012, 02:17:26 pm »
ok, the dungeon background file has been completed and separated into 281 dungeon rooms.

Also converted all the other bmp backgrounds to png backgrounds ( and changed the scrips for loading them )

next: adding dungeon rooms to the gamefile and start adding the solid objects to them.
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2012, 05:11:24 pm »
ok, while I'm not certain if this project has any followers here is a small update:

all rooms for the dungeons have been created, and load the proper background;

solids(wall function, but also stuff like bottles ) have been placed in the dungeonrooms;

all dungeonchests now work with a total of 1 object, depending on the room its in it checks to see if it has been opened or what is supposed to be inside;

all keys / chaoskeys have been created;

I have created several kinds of doors ( ofcourse each door object checks in which dungeon it is and on which side of the room to see which image it should have. There are doors that close while entering the room so you cant walk back and doors that only close after you leave the door space. doors can open by killing all enemies or using one of several kind of switches

edit: I forgot to say, collecting keys / opening chests / unlocking doors is also completed for saving and loading your game progress.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:13:06 pm by Atom »
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2012, 05:39:26 pm »
From the video and screens your seems alright. Personally, I'm not such a big fan of the GB graphics style. I did attempt to run your latest demo. However it requires GM8.1 Pro edition and I only have Lite. I won't be able to comment beyond the screens. My suggestion is you either create an EXE or make it Lite compatible.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:43:08 am by Niek »
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 02:22:06 am »
I also happen to be following your game to the bitter end.
Games that I support:

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2012, 09:46:57 pm »
Niek that is because its not a real demo, its the entire engine open source ( or at least what was the entire engine at that moment I've done a lot of work on this game since then ) I fear that you will have to wait till its done before you can use it if you don't have pro.

oh and you forgot a word in your message I believe you tried to say that you dont really like the gb style but in stead you said your a big fan of it.

Good to hear that RetroRespecter, having fun making the game may be the most important thing, Its also good to hear that someone might actually play it when its done.

Still working on the dungeons at the moment. I things go as I hope then after this weekend the only things left to do for the dungeons are the mini bosses and normal bosses. ( and bug testing them ) Thats deffinatley gonna take me a month or even 2.

But when the dungeons are finally completely done the game will have progressed to about 70% completion. After that its mostly typing some message texts and placing npc's and enemies in houses / world roms. So I'm expecting to progress faster when I continue with that part of the game.

1 other note: I just added an addition function to the game.
Numlock keys 1 to 3 now allow for resizing the room 100 - 150- 200 % of the standard gameplay screensize )
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2012, 07:45:14 am »
Thanks, for noticing. I fixed it now. And yes I don't like GB graphics at all.
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2012, 08:52:31 am »
well, guess that means your not going to play this when its done.
But if you dont like the style it wouldnt be logic to play it.
Shame that you will miss out on a fan game that will be completed some day, but perhaps more will follow.
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2012, 10:31:04 am »
I haven't said that. I just don't like the graphics style. That doens't mean I won't play it. Because gameplay and story could be done very well. It just means that the rest will have to do better, due to the infavorable graphics style with me.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2012, 12:49:39 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Personally, I think this project shows a lot of promise and I can't wait to try it out. I think the GB-style is nice and nostalgic.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2012, 05:59:23 pm »
Well, I havent been here for some time, and to be honest not much has been done at the project since then. You could say that I have taken a summer break. However work on this project has now been resumed. So for those who micht have been wondering, yes its still alive.
Current work: programming dungeon bosses and mini-bosses.
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2012, 12:55:36 pm »
A small question, though not small of importance to the game.
In the first original GB zelda game ( links awakening ) there were a few bosses that if you did not bring enough supplies were hard to beat because there were no supplies in those rooms ( like with facade ).

In Chaos Rising I currently have a few bosses that need to be taken out with bombs/arrows but which do not have a lot of supplies in the room and don't drop the items either. Should I keep it this way or should I make a change so that those who come unprepared also can finish it.

I think it might be less fun if you get to a room and dont have the needed supplies and you get killed, but I also don't think that I should make it that easy buy just placing a lot of supplies in a room. Could make it spawn some supplies at certain moments, but would like to hear some oppinions.
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2012, 01:02:27 pm »
Have them spawn at occasions.
Games that I support:

Koh

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2012, 09:22:10 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Man, looking at those screenshots takes me way back.  I'm surprised someone is still working with my old garbage GB Zelda Engine...you've probably come across a lot of the glitches and incompletions by now.  I still wish you the best of luck on it!
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2012, 04:13:45 am »
The retro feeling in this is just great! I think it doesn't matter if the game development goes slow, as long as you are moving forward, good luck!!
  • Deviantart Page
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2012, 01:05:17 pm »
Dlbrooks33, lets say there isn't a lot of your original engine in it anymore.
The base for this engine was the first version of your engine, so it already wasn't the most complete version when I started, and except for the link object there isn't a lot remaining of the things you made. I had to make a lot of additional things for it and remove the parts that I didn't need or that just didn't work as I needed them to do. But still, it certainly did help me make a start with it, its a lot easier to start with something that you can study a bit then starting with nothing at all.

I guess I'm going to follow TetroRespecter's comments on this one and add a spawn function. Not with a high spawn rate, but enough to make it possible to finish of a boss while you are low on resources.

Thank you for the positive comment xtremeexe, making something like this is a lot of work and not that easy. Its great to read some positive comments when having trouble coding some stuff, having some support makes it easier to keep making progress.

Reading this makes feel like I would like to do some work on it immidiately, unfortunately I am at the office and not at home right now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 74 queries.

anything