Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting Java  (Read 2336 times)

Starting Java
« on: June 27, 2008, 06:40:12 am »
This started as a GameMaker to Java project, but now it's just Java. It will aim to teach you basic Java all the way to GUI, games and networking.

Latest version: 28 june
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:13:42 am by AoDC »
the a o d c
Re: Leaving GameMaker
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 07:38:07 am »
Hell, I'm interested. I'd much rather leave gamemaker in the dust and go with something like java or c++.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:15:43 am »
Can't be !@#$% making it to do with GameMaker so I'll just do Java. It made me ill opening GameMaker. So I'll just do Java... and make it as easy as possible.
the a o d c
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:08:32 am »
Hmm...Java is all right - I use it in AP Computer Science in high school, but I much prefer C++.

What made you like Java randomly?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 02:05:23 pm »
Hmm...Java is all right - I use it in AP Computer Science in high school, but I much prefer C++.

I'll copy and paste what I put.

•   File size.  A class only a few kilobytes big.
•   True object oriented principles. Java was built from the ground up as an object oriented language allowing for all techniques you’d find in other languages.
•   Compatibility with all Operating Systems.
There are probably many arguments against Java, but the fact is Java is a simple yet advanced object oriented language with strict coding rules. You may jump and yell “C#!” but frankly you can go to hell. The file size for Visual C# is massive, it only works on Windows, and if you want to get anywhere you need to have money. After learning Java you should be able to jump into C#. As for C++, there’s rarely a person capable of jumping from nothing to something industry standard like C++.
the a o d c
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 03:00:29 pm »
•   File size.  A class only a few kilobytes big.
Same with plenty of other languages, its just a matter of how well you design your code and what libraries you use. Its quite easy to get C++ code to compile itself down to executables only a couple of kilobytes in size, if not less.

•   True object oriented principles. Java was built from the ground up as an object oriented language allowing for all techniques you’d find in other languages.
Yes its OOP, but that dosen't mean it supports all features of other languages. There are plenty of features it does and dosen't support.

•   Compatibility with all Operating Systems.
Can't say anything against that, I agree, Java is brilliant for cross-compatibility.

You may jump and yell “C#!” but frankly you can go to hell. The file size for Visual C# is massive, it only works on Windows, and if you want to get anywhere you need to have money. After learning Java you should be able to jump into C#.
I dissagree with that entirely. You don't have to use VS for C#, there are other IDE's available. It does work on other platforms, the .NET platform and the IL code generated by programs is designed to be completely cross-compatible in the same manner as Java, there are currently distros available to compile on windows, linux and mac. Though I agree that it does have some way to go in that area (you can blame MS for that, not releasing the runtime libraries source code).

Not that it matters either way, language choice is a matter of opinion, theres always a way to convince people your language is the best / the worse.

Anyway good luck with this AoDC, hope everything goes well. I would read what you've put up in your document, but I haven't got a word processor installed atm on this pc :P.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 04:14:31 pm »
Infin thanks for crushing my points clearing it up. I've redone basically everything now anyway. It's called "Starting Java" and I'll have the first few chapters up later.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 04:35:03 pm by AoDC »
the a o d c
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 07:47:23 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
I use Unity, which is a lot more credible than Game Maker, but I'd still like to learn some real languages eventually. Meh, I'll do it later. :P
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 08:35:26 pm »
I use Unity, which is a lot more credible than Game Maker
Barely.

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 09:28:23 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
Unity is only slightly more credible because of 3D. It is, however discredited due to being stuck on Macs. Beleive it or not, most people do not use macs.

•   True object oriented principles. Java was built from the ground up as an object oriented language allowing for all techniques you’d find in other languages.
There are probably many arguments against Java, but the fact is Java is a simple yet advanced object oriented language with strict coding rules. You may jump and yell “C#!” but frankly you can go to hell. The file size for Visual C# is massive, it only works on Windows, and if you want to get anywhere you need to have money. After learning Java you should be able to jump into C#. As for C++, there’s rarely a person capable of jumping from nothing to something industry standard like C++.
I jumped from GM to C++.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 12:25:26 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Gah, I had a post trying to defend Unity, but what the hell. :P Just no point. I know the truth, even if you guys don't.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 12:34:58 am by Moldorma »
  • Lionfish Apps

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 01:00:57 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße
I know the the truth too, Moldy.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 08:38:31 am »
Unity is only slightly more credible because of 3D. It is, however discredited due to being stuck on Macs. Beleive it or not, most people do not use macs.

I jumped from GM to C++.

Keyword rarely. You're one in a million.

Anyway uploaded my first few parts of java... please criticize as I want to know anything I need to fix or change.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:14:49 am by AoDC »
the a o d c
Re: Starting Java
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 04:49:27 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
It looks good to me. :) Nice start.
  • Lionfish Apps

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 07:29:28 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
Small chapters, but very good. Keep it up :D
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 06:19:36 am »
Small chapters, but very good. Keep it up :D
Yea I want them small because in all the books I've read, the 30 page chapters make me so !@#$% bored I fall asleep. I want it to be really easy.
the a o d c
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 70 queries.

anything