Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Revived] Zelda II - The Adventure of Link  (Read 21737 times)

[Revived] Zelda II - The Adventure of Link
« on: September 08, 2017, 04:34:21 am »
Zelda II
The Adventure of Link

Obviously, not endorsed in anyway by Nintendo.  Created for learning purposes.  No infringment intended.  Buy Zelda games from Nintendo.
This project is a full remake/conversion of Zelda II on NES into a game that mimics Link to the Past yet maintains enough of the original material.
Both music and graphics will be used and inspired by Link to the Past.  Spells are replaced by inventory items.  Extra quests are introduced along with some small character stories to create a larger experience that was lacking in the original.
Combat is going to be Link to the Past styled but the rpg system will remain in effect.  There is a change to how leveling works:the different stats influence how much exp is required per level up overall.  This allows a different approach to leveling other than flat values in the original.  Making a choice now has consequences of a larger amount of exp needed.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JBpTk1TMGM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JBpTk1TMGM</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t91-iEPJ69c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t91-iEPJ69c</a>
SCREENS

---->DOWNLOAD<----

What can be done right now in the current release?
Quite a bit:  if you create a file in slot 1, you get to view the temporary introduction cutscene.  After the intro, you get to mess around in the first zone of the overworld.  Nothing much to do there.  You can also explore the overworld map and Parapa Palace.  File 2 allows you to skip straight to Parapa Palace boss fight.
If you create a file 3, you are taken directly into the debug zone.  There, you can mess with collectibles, talk to some sages, return a crystal to a pedestal, open every item chest in the game, mess with quite a few items(after you get them from chests), and even kill some innocent gels.

Controls: arrow keys move, A uses the equipped item, S continues dialogue or swings the sword or selects an item in the menu, D is the Pegasus Boots or the action button(open,talk,etc), Enter is the start/menu button.

If anyone is willing to help in the art department, that would be pretty cool.  The intro cutscenes need to be redone to follow the general plot of Legend of Zelda and the backstory to Zelda II.  Eventually, bosses will need to be done.  Most of the enemies needed are already available from Link to the Past.  Some music could be done as well.  Would like to get some Zelda II tracks that sound more like Link to the Past.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy.  This is what, attempt #5 at this?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:15:31 pm by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Miles07

Knight of ERA
Re: [Revived] Zelda II - The Adventure of Link
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 04:57:10 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Wow.

First of all, spectacular undertaking. I've had a similar design in mind for something like this, but only in txt file format. (Though collecting the sprites for the items wouldn't be difficult for me to do, since I have the Minish Cap style item project...) I do agree, that refitting the original game to fit more of the style of the rest of the games in the series would be awesome to do and get used to. I'd like to help, if I can.

(Once my antivirus releases the exe file I downloaded from your Google Drive link, I'll actually try it out and play it.)
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 01:10:49 pm »
Wow.

First of all, spectacular undertaking. I've had a similar design in mind for something like this, but only in txt file format. (Though collecting the sprites for the items wouldn't be difficult for me to do, since I have the Minish Cap style item project...) I do agree, that refitting the original game to fit more of the style of the rest of the games in the series would be awesome to do and get used to. I'd like to help, if I can.

(Once my antivirus releases the exe file I downloaded from your Google Drive link, I'll actually try it out and play it.)
It's funny you mention a text file.  I actually wrote a 30+ page game design document on this almost six years ago now that I have kept on my Google Drive all these years.

As I have added quite a bit on my end the past day or so, I realize that the biggest hurdle other than completely revamping dungeons is going to be taking the massive, yet empty overworld into a more complete filled layout.  Don't be surprised if the overworld goes through some serious changes quite a few times.  I may have mapped it all in LttP, LA-LTTP(LA tiles redone into LttP style by ZFGCers), Minish Cap, and even Seiken Densetsu 3, yet, my new approach is to zone out each section similar to how LttP zoned out each part of it's overworld.

It gives me more freedom to do what I want instead of going 1:1 conversion and having giant empty areas.

Anyway, the work I have done on my end is the entire starting area is mapped out and in-game.  Some tiles aren't quite exact, but each area is 90% or so solidified.  Rauru is nice and small.  No other NPCs used yet, but I have pulled the first Sage from the debug room and placed him in town.  He opens the cave to Parapa Desert correctly.

The plan is to get everything mapped out and transitioning properly to have everything before the cave to Moruge Swamp.  Once that is all set(including Parapa Palace), I will start implementing actual AI into enemies so a nice demo can be put together for NCFC. 
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 04:03:20 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Interesting how you have the areas as actual zones, aLttP style. I guess that means you'd be scrapping the entire idea of random battles, then?
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 06:07:01 pm »
  • .越//
Interesting how you have the areas as actual zones, aLttP style. I guess that means you'd be scrapping the entire idea of random battles, then?

they could be done in Chrono Trigger styled Encounters... ( Monsters Jump in from Bushes etc. )

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 08:46:15 pm »
Mixing the two and even sprinkling in some caged fights from Minish Cap.
Some areas will have continued random spawners.
Some areas will always have default spawn locations.
Other areas(heart pieces, qide quests, exp pouches, etc) will seem like a normal area until you get to the trigger point.  Then it starts a caged match similar to what Minish Cap did.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 05:11:20 am »
Changed download link.  All starting areas implemented except a town and 2 caves.  You can test the cool LttP circle room transition by going into the 50exp forest.  You have to alt-f4 though.

Music changing added.  Some animated tiles added in some zones for testing.  Sage 1 will open the way to Parapa, but the cave is not yet in the game.

File 1 does full introduction.
File 2 takes you straight to overworld.
File 3 is Debug/Testing room.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 06:12:16 am »
Daily update:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8cVZiUUhqUW91ODQ/view?usp=sharing

Overworld zones added, cave to Parapa added and accessible.  Parapa Desert accessible.  Small changes made.

Next, another town, North Palace, and start of Parapa Palace.
Once, everything is protoype mapped through Parapa Palace, we will being the exciting journey of adding AI.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 11:12:59 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Wow, that was quick!

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 07:38:08 am »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8WGhOQ0NSYy0zS2M/view?usp=sharing

Added some screens to main post.
Half of Parapa added and accessible to test.
I lied, I added an enemy although it deals no damage nor can you kill it.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 07:22:38 am »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8blhRcWpPQnFNeW8/view?usp=sharing

Daily update.
Another huge chunk of Parapa Palace mapped and accessible in-game.
Added a slowing effect to being in the quicksand.

Next daily should have Parapa finished.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 12:03:28 pm »
Daily Update:

Nothing to upload, but, Parapa Palace nearly finished.  Just the final corridor, boss room, and pedestal room left.

I will attach a picture of the current enemy AI I am attempting to work on.  Custom edit for placeholder sprite.  If anyone is interested in trying to sprite, I would like a sword pulled back as if it is about to strike, then a lung forward with sword extended and shield off to the side similar to when Link is swinging his sword.

The idea is to use the same AI as the Darknuts/Ironknuckles(or whatever they were called in Minish Cap) for the Ironknuckles.  Stay defensive then lunge at the player.  The back will be the sweet spot.

I am also working on some Chus, Moblins, Octoroks, etc to begin filling the world.  Since Mazura is going to be a pain in the ass to sprite https://zelda.gamepedia.com/File:TAoL_Horsehead.png , I figured it would be a great time to begin bringing my Hyrule to life. 

As far as Mazura is concerned, the boss AI that is planned is going to be similar to Ganon's AI at the end of LTTP.  The dungeon item is the Eternal Lantern, so it would be best to incorporate it.  Use the lantern on some lightable torches, blind Mazura to reveal a weak spot, rinse and repeat.  Mazura would use sand spit or some kind of whirlwind to blow out the torches.

The only other idea to keep it even closer to LTTP bosses would be similar to the Armos boss fight in LTTP.  Have Mazura bounce around for a bit, then jump slam which exposes his back.  To incorporate the Eternal Lantern, could require the player to light the torches which would force Mazura to perform the leap slam.

Anyway, the focus is now to start getting some enemies and NPCs in before we worry about a huge task like Mazura.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 01:39:07 pm »
For the boss, you might be able to save time by basing the head on this enemy:
https://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/secretofmanaseikendensetsu2/sheet/54749/

Ooh and nice going btw. Where are you finding the time for all this progress?
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 01:58:09 pm »
Ooh and nice going btw. Where are you finding the time for all this progress?

Went back to college fulltime.  When I get done with homework and in-between games with the online squad, I tab back into Zelda II and do whatever I can.  :)
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 02:02:17 pm »
The good old days. I feel kinda jealous XD
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 09:40:20 am »
Update:

-added a video of game in current state to original post.
-Leevers added but not finished
-North Palace added
-intro cutscenes added/changed
-more intro dialogue added

Youtube direct link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JBpTk1TMGM&feature=youtu.be
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 04:07:56 pm »
Update:

-North Palace fully implemeneted.
-some room flags fixed
-actually implemented more of Parapa(forgot to add room flags ooops)
-more screnshots added to the original post

Next To-Dos:
-npcs for Rauru
-indoors for Rauru
-animated torches
-more water animations
-Keese(bats)
-P Bags(otherwise known as "!@#$% bags" according to AVGN)
-tweaks to enemy AI and behavior
-ability to take damage

"HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM"
-A bug was found that only occurs in North Palace.  The sub item(inventory item) box in the top right corner is not drawn.  All code has been triple checked.  No idea why this is occurring as the conditions of North Palace are no different than any other room in the game.  There are also no special objects in North Palace. 

EDIT: Nevermind.  I am a buttcheek.  I forgot to set views in the North Palace rooms which the HUD depends on.  *cough*
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:01:42 pm by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 01:48:26 am »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8QTkzdzNJdjFhVmc/view?usp=sharing

Updated original post link as well.
-small modifications to enemies
-enemies can hurt you
-added a placement game over screen

Hadn't uploaded anything playable for some time, so I figured I would do so.  Enjoy.
As always, File 1 goes through everything as if it were a final release; File 2 let's you skip the intro; File 3 takes you to the debug rooms.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 08:45:14 pm »
Update:

Been working on some stuff on my end.
Minor tweaks as needed to code.
Leevers changed a little bit.
Keys have been added.
Horsehead AI has been started.  I am using ARMOS from LTTP as a placeholder.  It's about the size I want Horsehead anyway.

I decided on something a bit different than originally planned.  Horsehead will bounce after you similar to Armos final form but without the ground slamming.  When he hits 50% or less health, he begins to burrow into the ground like Lanmolas.  When he emerges, then he will do a ground slam jump where he is only vulnerable at his back.

Everything is coded upto the burrow state.  Feels pretty solid for a boss even now, but I want a little something extra to differentiate it from Armos.  Everything in the life cycle of the boss is done except the ground slam.  For now, the boss just returns to bouncing until he is hit again until he runs out of health.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:37:39 pm by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 03:35:29 am »
Update:

-locked doors implemented
-some graphical depth issues in Parapa taken care of
-anti fairies added 100%
-darknut AI started
-enemy layout in Parapa except darknut, stalfos, and mace thrower(forgot the name off the top of my head) complete.
Other three not added since no AI for them yet.
-puzzle doors started
-started mapping out Rauru houses

No download update.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 78 queries.