Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visual BASIC 6 help please  (Read 1636 times)

Visual BASIC 6 help please
« on: June 10, 2008, 06:16:50 am »
Some of may be going "WTF? Old as !@#$%..."

Meh, I just wanted to try something new.  I found old copy of Visual Studio 6 Enterprise Edition in my basket of pc cds from the past 15 years...lol

I can't find hardy anything about 2D game programming on the internet.  I know it's possible.
I ain't paying for any book as that would be a waste of money..lol.

Any helps for me?
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Visual BASIC 6 help please
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:19:47 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
VB6 really isnt the best for game design, but if you're looking to do some without DirectX or DirectDraw and stuff (lol good luck with that in VB XD), I suggest looking up TransparentBlit, and browsing www.pscode.com; they have a lot of resources and stuff... I used to have an old Megaman clone I made in VB6 ages ago but since the crash its missing (somewhere in backup)...

Also you're going to have to make an update counter, or find one that actually counts ticks per second that doesnt rely on VB's loop speed (choppy FPS); and never forget your doevents function :p
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:28:16 am »
http://vbgames6.homestead.com/

That is an old ass site that I remember coming across a very, very long time ago when I was in College for Kids doing programming there in Visual Basic.  Yes, that is how I spent a summer of mine in my wasted youth. 
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »
  • Minalien
Why not just download Visual Basic .NET Express and use that? With that, you can even go to the lengths of using more recent (and more advanced) technologies than you could in VB6. VB.NET is a lot more suited for games than VB, as it, just like the other .NET languages, are simply another language interface to the .NET Framework.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 05:52:16 am »
Why not just download Visual Basic .NET Express and use that? With that, you can even go to the lengths of using more recent (and more advanced) technologies than you could in VB6. VB.NET is a lot more suited for games than VB, as it, just like the other .NET languages, are simply another language interface to the .NET Framework.
His internet is garbage for one.
the a o d c
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 03:03:58 am »

That is an old ass site that I remember coming across a very, very long time ago when I was in College for Kids doing programming there in Visual Basic.  Yes, that is how I spent a summer of mine in my wasted youth. 
LOL that is one my first sites I made on the internet look at me now!!
SMF For Free http://www.smfforfree.com Free Forum Hosting!

SMFHacks.com  Free mods for SMF

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 03:05:22 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Whoa welcome back VBgamer45 :D
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 03:06:27 am »
Whoa welcome back VBgamer45 :D
I am still around just super busy I watch the posts. Was sad when they deleted inactive accounts a while back :(
SMF For Free http://www.smfforfree.com Free Forum Hosting!

SMFHacks.com  Free mods for SMF
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 04:54:40 am »
  • Minalien
vbgamer <3 :D

Anyways,
Foreshadower, if you want, I'll burn VB.NET Express to a CD and send it your way.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 05:03:31 am »
vbgamer <3 :D

Anyways,
Foreshadower, if you want, I'll burn VB.NET Express to a CD and send it your way.
Sure.

I don't know.  Sometimes I just feel I jumped into programming too directly with C++...
I am trying a new approach by starting at BASIC and work my way up the chain.

Bad idea?
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 05:35:03 am »
C++ is not bad if you work on it to a level of some familiarity.  Visual Basic messed me up for some reason when they took out the line effect or whatever and replaced it with having you make a pen object or something instead.  C++ is really powerful though, lol, just today I came across an issue to where I could not easily initialize an array in Game Maker and the I looked at old C++ I had done and I was a little steamed. 

At least with me, I do not think that I rushed into C++.  The thing with me is that when I want to do a project with it, the objectives are things that I would not normally think of, so I do not, then I give up out of frustration.  Visual Basic is not that difficult to get into though, so if that is really what you want to do then do it.  Newer versions of Visual Basic have implementations of some C/C++ features, so it might help you out.  Meh, I really don't know, it is more of doing what works for you.

LOL that is one my first sites I made on the internet look at me now!!

Wow, I mean, I first saw that site when I was really young.  College for Kids inadvertently led me to this place as by being there I was web-surfing and found Game Maker.  I then used Game Maker and wanted to make a Zelda game.  The rest is history I guess.  I distinctly remember the flames and the top graphic on that site though, I have a really good memory. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 60 queries.

anything