Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Blizzard's RealID  (Read 3124 times)

Xiphirx

wat
Blizzard's RealID
« on: July 07, 2010, 01:01:21 am »
  • Xiphirx
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25712374700&sid=1&pageNo=550

I personally think this is stupid. I like being anonymous, and I like having a online persona. What do you guys think?

This is the most active topic I've ever seen on any forums. WoW Players are ravenous D:

EDIT: I don't play WoW
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:30:52 am by Xiphirx »
  • For The Swarm

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Blizzard's RealID
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 01:29:43 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I'm sure they know what they're doing

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 01:31:53 am »
  • Xiphirx
I'm sure they know what they're doing

Yeah it makes it seem like there's something sinister behind this.
  • For The Swarm

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 01:34:47 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
<_< No I don't mean that at all.

I mean they know what they're doing when it comes to your security. Nobody's going to become the victim of identity theft over it, and they're not going to put you at risk over the whole ordeal. Anonymity is irrelevant for MMO's because you're playing them to be social anyway.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 01:41:34 am »
  • Xiphirx

I mean they know what they're doing when it comes to your security. Nobody's going to become the victim of identity theft over it, and they're not going to put you at risk over the whole ordeal. Anonymity is irrelevant for MMO's because you're playing them to be social anyway.

Well, I'll just say that my real name is very unique, and if I ever were to play WoW and this was enforced, it wouldn't be hard to search specifically for me online. Just saying. I know that having someone's name isn't enough for full blown doxing etc, but it's a start.

I don't think anonymity is irrelevant for MMO's. A main point for MMO's and video games in general is immersion. I quite sure someone would like to be known online for a cool alias that they like, rather than a normal human name.

I really don't see the purpose of doing it in the first place, so why do it? (awaits the typical "why not" reply)
  • For The Swarm

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 01:58:42 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

Well, I'll just say that my real name is very unique, and if I ever were to play WoW and this was enforced, it wouldn't be hard to search specifically for me online. Just saying. I know that having someone's name isn't enough for full blown doxing etc, but it's a start.

I don't think anonymity is irrelevant for MMO's. A main point for MMO's and video games in general is immersion. I quite sure someone would like to be known online for a cool alias that they like, rather than a normal human name.

I really don't see the purpose of doing it in the first place, so why do it? (awaits the typical "why not" reply)

You still get to name your characters. Nothing's changed with that. Your account is tied to your Real ID, not your characters.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 02:19:21 am »
  • Xiphirx

You still get to name your characters. Nothing's changed with that. Your account is tied to your Real ID, not your characters.

Yes but the primary name is shifted to your real name, you can sort of relate it to custom member titles here.

Pissing off the community for RealID is not worth it. It still has not shown any true purpose yet.
  • For The Swarm

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 02:25:31 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

Yes but the primary name is shifted to your real name, you can sort of relate it to custom member titles here.

Pissing off the community for RealID is not worth it. It still has not shown any true purpose yet.

Does it even matter though? It's so irrelevant. People on WoW !@#$% about everything that goes on >_<;; Same !@#$% went on on a regular basis when I played. Again, they know what they're doing, and they know it's purpose. Just because you don't doesn't mean it has no purpose. They're entitled to make changes to their software any way they see fit. Pissing off 100 or so users doesn't change the fact that they have over 10 million people playing.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 02:39:25 am »
  • Xiphirx
600 and counting pages of feedback is not 100 customers.. They are entitled to change their software, yes, but that doesn't mean pissing off their fan base in the process.

I'm inclined to agree with "they know what they're doing" since Blizzard has high respect from many people, but the whole purpose of updates is to show you what it's about. Not revealing the purpose is uninviting to acceptance.

The only purposes they have stated is to stop trolling, flaming, etc and to build stronger relationships between players.

This in no way should stop flaming or trolling, I just don't see it happening.

Stronger relationships? Uh, if I meet people online, I'd first like to get to know them a bit. Giving my name out first encounter makes me feel uncomfortable (awaits "baawwwwwwww" replies).

EDIT: Why do my topics always end up with me and mammy arguing 8|
  • For The Swarm

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 03:07:15 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Because the rest of us like to sit back and watch. :P

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 04:02:45 am »
Because Mammy likes to argue :p

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 04:51:26 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Nah, because I'm all for a company changing their services that people aren't forced to use :P

If I were a commercial developer, I'd feel like I had been spat on if people told me I can't change my own IP the way I want to.

Also, 600 pages of people bitching doesn't = anything close to the 11.5 million subscribers. That's "a few people" in comparison to how many they have playing :P Also, every single one of them will continue playing after the fact too. They're just doing what WoW players do- !@#$% and moan at every change.

Also pt 2- the only other thread that involved arguing didn't really involve me at all <_< That was the CounterStrike Source one. That was everyone else minus teh Mammy
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:53:34 am by Mamoruアニメ »
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 05:14:58 am »
This seems like a bad idea. While not every WoW player is using the forums, i'm sure a good portion of them are. usually your real name is kept in the Account Info part for a reason, to keep everyone from knowing what it is. This makes it so everyone who uses the forum's real name will be out in the open. It's not the fact that you don't have to use the forum, it's the fact that they are forcing your real name to be viewable.

While it may be harder to find someone using just their full name, depending on the name. That doesn't mean everyone wants their full name known to everyone else. Think of it this way, i wonder how many WoW forum accounts are of people under the age of 18, or have their parents paying for their subscription, with the threat of Online stalkers and Pedophiles going after kids online, if the parents find out their child's name will be fully viewable to everyone, it may make them think twice about paying for the Subscription.

I heard blizzard is possibly doing this to cut down on rule breaking and such, which seems confusing since i think you already at least need a payed account to post on the forums, not sure if trial's can post, i never tried on my trial account. Which still makes all your activity tied to the account in question.

All together what they're doing just seems pointless and really unneeded.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 06:54:52 am »
  • .越//
this thread reminded me of a thing i saw... no, i don't play it anymore but i ilike to watch it sometimes ;)

here screenshots of WoW RealID, looks like a social network for wow to me

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 05:38:16 pm »
  • Xiphirx
Yes, the moaning on the forums has dubbed WoW to WoF (World of Facebook).
  • For The Swarm

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 08:28:35 pm »
  • b e p i s
The only place I can think of where this would really be an issue is for younger players. When I first started playing games online when I was 11, my mom made it very clear that I should never give out my name or any information about myself. Of course I do now, but !@#$%, I'm 20.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 09:17:37 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Well, since WoW is M (if I'm not mistaken), it's not meant for the kiddies anyway.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 09:19:26 pm »
  • b e p i s
Well, since WoW is M (if I'm not mistaken), it's not meant for the kiddies anyway.

T, and easily passable for an E-rating without the cartoony blood. To me there's nothing wrong with a younger person playing the game with parental supervision. My mom let me play T-rated games when I was younger, and until I was 17 and could buy them myself she would rarely buy M-rated games for me.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 09:24:48 pm »
Let's just hope you're not too well known and/or ashamed of your account. If you cannot hide your name from your wife/husband/etc, boss, pedophiles, strangers, scamartists or anyone then that is a loss. Period. You are losing anonymity and choice so it's no wonder people are not pleased.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 04:13:24 am »
  • .越//
when i played it, there were many "kiddies" which were 12 and younger... it's not meant to be but there are younger people in there

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 75 queries.

anything