Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REVISE] Overworld concept layout  (Read 20401 times)

Re: [REVISE] Overworld concept layout
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2012, 08:29:23 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
I think that one looks better than, design-wise and Layout-wise, Niek's
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2012, 03:51:56 am »
I also like this one more. Having the water sources spread like that makes it more interesting, and the valley surrounding the mountain makes more sense since you have to travel through it to get to the mountain.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

thestig

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2012, 04:14:29 am »
Lake Hylia could stretch out a little bit more into Hyrule Field imo. But I like the approach Steve's design is going in.. this is what I was trying to get at when I argued against the grid-based layout.
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2012, 01:12:31 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Lake Hylia could stretch out a little bit more into Hyrule Field imo

Like I said, it's not drawn to scale :)

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

thestig

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2012, 01:32:02 pm »
Lake Hylia could stretch out a little bit more into Hyrule Field imo

Like I said, it's not drawn to scale :)
Oh you and your key terms :C
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 07:10:32 pm »
Okay here are some of my comments to them.

1) I don't think Castle Town should surround Hyrule Castle. In none of the Zelda games Hyrule Castle has been ever surrounded by a town. In OOT the town was to the south, although the Castle was encased between the town and (more so) death mountain. In TP the town was in its entirity south of the Castle. And MC even had a bit of Hyrule field between the Castle and Hyrule Town. Besides if gets a bit hard to believe that the Royal Family doesn't see the slums from one of the towers when they are mostly surrounded by all sides.

2) The part of Death Valley south of the desert is a bit weird and probably pointless. In all the Zelda games that had a desert. The desert was surrounded by rock walls and there was only one entrance from a single area. It looks like some additional appendix just to justify Hyrule Field becoming Gerudo Desert.

3) In OOT and TP Zora's Domain is up on a mountain region. When Death Valley is at the foot of the mountain, it seems like Zora's Domain is on the level of Hyrule Field. And thus how would the water flow through River Valley. I always thought that River Valley was a river with waterfalls, that gradually flowed from Zora's Domain to Lake Hylia. You also said that Zora's Domain is underground, thus that would mean the water is flowing up?

4) There is a single off-shoot from river valley. Is that the only additional water way through Hyrule? For such a large large border with Hyrule Field and River Valley, there are no passages from one area to the other? Also Castle Town has only one passage to Hyrule Field, as the second one drops you in the river. In TP and MC there are more entrances/exits out of Castle Town. There are also no passages between Hyrule Field and the Valley of Death.

5) I'm not so fond of the cave passage connecting Hyrule Field and Goron Mountain. Just so that the player won't get into that area before it's time. There is nothing wrong with the player passing through a part of Death Valley a bit to get to Goron Mountain.

6) It is that you said that it is not at scale yet, because Castle Town and Lake Hylia are really small compared to the rest of the world. And Zora's domain is actually really large.
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 08:16:58 pm »

1) This is really subjective, but ok, all views are considered!

2) I'm not sure I understand?  How is Hyrule Field becoming the desert?  The valley is simply a separation of Hyrule Field from the Desert and mountains.

3) I'm not exactly sure how you concluded what the geography of Hyrule looks like by looking at a 2D layout.  There can simply be a waterfall high up on the rocky portions that flows into Zora's Domain and down the river.

5) It's a means of control.  Did you see anything wrong with the player accessing Zora's River in OoT before getting bombs?

6) Correct, it's not to scale.

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2012, 12:49:30 am »
Just some points
You can't possibly consider using rivers for any guidelines. A river can change course  after a single storm. After a hundred years, two hundreds years, the river may be flowing completely differently to a different place.

Voclanoes and death mountains, they have the potential to completely dissapear overnight and grow 500 m in one eruption. Volcanoes are also located on a path, which is parrelal to tectonic ridge. Where a active volcano used to be in one game does not mean that's where its'going to be in an other.

Cities in medevil times changed, grew got destroyed and rebuilt all over again, so never does hyrule castle and town have to be the same.

The desert issue, why does an area become a desert so suddenly? Probably due to limitations back then. Those limitations don't apply to as now. What I propose perhaps is to to a mountain ridge or something like that. Seperating fields from desert. Windwaker did mention that hyrule was sorrounded by tall mountains.

« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2012, 04:37:33 am »
2) I'm not sure I understand?  How is Hyrule Field becoming the desert?  The valley is simply a separation of Hyrule Field from the Desert and mountains.
Death Valley is the way it is due to tectonic activity of Goron Mountain. So why is there an off-shoot of Death Valley running all the way to the west separating the desert. In all other Zelda games that had a desert in Hyrule, it was always surrounded by a giant rock wall with a single small entrance.

3) I'm not exactly sure how you concluded what the geography of Hyrule looks like by looking at a 2D layout.  There can simply be a waterfall high up on the rocky portions that flows into Zora's Domain and down the river.
Well you have to imagine somethings to see the potential. And natural physics have water flowing from high to low. So this means that Zora's domain has to be higher then Lake Hylia, but that strokes a bit with the underground idea you presented. Unless Zora's Domain is on its own mountain.

5) It's a means of control.  Did you see anything wrong with the player accessing Zora's River in OoT before getting bombs?
No there isn't, just as much as it isn't wrong for Link to enter the lost woods before finishing the first dungeon in OOT. The cave feels really forced. There was nothing wrong with Link going through the Lon Lon Ranch area to reach the Minish woods before he actually had to do something in the Lon Lon Ranch area.
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2012, 05:38:19 pm »
Death Valley is the way it is due to tectonic activity of Goron Mountain. So why is there an off-shoot of Death Valley running all the way to the west separating the desert. In all other Zelda games that had a desert in Hyrule, it was always surrounded by a giant rock wall with a single small entrance.
Valleys can typically form due to erosion from water and glacial activity, not tectonic activity. That would be a mountain you're thinking of.   For this to work though, I should route part of the river through there OR we can say that the valley formed and then when it was deep enough, volcanic activity plugged the river up on that side. 

Well you have to imagine somethings to see the potential. And natural physics have water flowing from high to low. So this means that Zora's domain has to be higher then Lake Hylia, but that strokes a bit with the underground idea you presented. Unless Zora's Domain is on its own mountain.
No, it doesn't mean that.  It means that the source of water must be higher.  You must have misread.  The source of water at the top of a mountain can poor into the river as well as Zora's Domain.

No there isn't, just as much as it isn't wrong for Link to enter the lost woods before finishing the first dungeon in OOT. The cave feels really forced. There was nothing wrong with Link going through the Lon Lon Ranch area to reach the Minish woods before he actually had to do something in the Lon Lon Ranch area.
Point missed again...don't forget, you CAN'T access the full river in OoT without bombs due to the rocks.  Nothing wrong with entering there first, yet they still don't allow it.  Again, gameplay control.  If I remember right, LttP did something similar with the old man in the cave at Death Mt.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:40:00 pm by MG-Zero »

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2012, 05:20:59 am »
Quote from: MG-Zero
I took a try at it.  Black lines are points of entry/exit between two locations.  Also, that yellow-brownish line in the valley of death is a wall for a cave.  I didn't really draw this to scale btw, I just wanted to figure a possible layout.

To get from Zora's Domain to the mountain, you'd go through a cave in the valley.  This is to keep the player from actually entering the valley before they're supposed to.

I think this makes some decent sense.  To the north is the rocky and arid geography.  Right next to it, underground in Zora's Domain starts the water supply which travels south to the swampy, foresty and wet places.

(I haven't read any previous comments (only some) so if I repeat what others said, my bad. =P)

My only complaint is that Lake Hyila feels too small... Other then that, I like it. =)

Quote from: Niek
In all other Zelda games that had a desert in Hyrule, it was always surrounded by a giant rock wall with a single small entrance.

Actually, FYI Twilight Princess had no entrance to the desert. =P
    ~ Shane
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2012, 10:36:52 am »
Quote from: Niek
In all other Zelda games that had a desert in Hyrule, it was always surrounded by a giant rock wall with a single small entrance.

Actually, FYI Twilight Princess had no entrance to the desert. =P
    ~ Shane
Actually, it had an entrance. The canon in Lake Hylia. But it didn't have an exit that did not need teleporting.
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2012, 03:39:02 pm »
I'm moving my variation on this to another thread, keep this one to Niek's layout.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 113 queries.

anything