Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recruiting!  (Read 3522 times)

PoeFacedKilla

Prussian Killer Bee
Recruiting!
« on: February 15, 2010, 07:38:44 pm »
[story ]
Link and his sister are journeying hyrule, when they came to Darunia (the city of the gorons), the decide to rest for the night.  While they were sleeping moblins raided the city killing links sister and many gorons.

Link then sets out to find the one behind the raid, but ends up on a quest to save Hyrule for destruction.

I am beginning to work on a fan game.  I've already gotten the overview written, so I know whats going to happen.  I just don't want my game to fall apart like most others.  

I am using GM6 (because it wouldn't let me update)
i can program and sprite a little, but I need a team, or this game won't finish!

Programmers
Spriters
Mappers

if you are interested, email me at burford.dylan@gmail.com or just reply to this topic
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:02:56 pm by linkthemaster »
the Indyboard - User Generated Social Forum | Now With Even More Discussion!
Poe, The Independent Programmer
  • Zelda Shrine
Re: Recruiting!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 07:56:27 pm »
  • Minalien
Why not, you know, post some details for the project so that people don't ignore this thread altogether?
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

PoeFacedKilla

Prussian Killer Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:01:39 pm »
sorry, updated
  • Zelda Shrine
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:32:10 pm »
  • Minalien
On second thought, maybe you were better off not showing anything.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

PoeFacedKilla

Prussian Killer Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:35:33 pm »

i don't believe i asked for criticism, its pretty early in development.  And if you are just gonna talk s**t, then this thread isn't for you, now is it?   
  • Zelda Shrine

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:48:59 pm »

i don't believe i asked for criticism, its pretty early in development.  And if you are just gonna talk s**t, then this thread isn't for you, now is it?  

+1. While constructive criticism is appropriate, the way Min said it is not. Just remember, if all you listen to is positive feedback, your game will suck and it might not even get a demo out.

It's not a bad story, but there's already a plothole: if Link and his sister were sleeping near eachother, why did they kill her and leave Link alone? Other than that, it seems just a prologue. Intro, yada yada yada now save Hyrule. From what? How? Why?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:51:45 pm by dotd94 »
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:02:47 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
[story ]
Link and his sister are journeying hyrule, when they came to Darunia (the city of the gorons), the decide to rest for the night.  While they were sleeping moblins raided the city killing links sister and many gorons.

Link then sets out to find the one behind the raid, but ends up on a quest to save Hyrule for destruction.

I am beginning to work on a fan game.  I've already gotten the overview written, so I know whats going to happen.  I just don't want my game to fall apart like most others.  

I am using GM6 (because it wouldn't let me update)
i can program and sprite a little, but I need a team, or this game won't finish!

Programmers
Spriters
Mappers

if you are interested, email me at burford.dylan@gmail.com or just reply to this topic

linkthemaster,

First, MiNalien is just that way. He speaks his mind. I do not believe "sensitivity" is in his dictionary.

In all honesty though, I see where he is coming from. I'm only going to say the following because I'm not sure you will get anyone to join your project with what you have said.

People that are available will probably join a project that they think has THE MOST promise. Who would want to join a project that doesn't look like it'll become amazingly sexy and crazy-fun to play?
I hate to be mean or anything and I'm not trying to be, but, if you really want people to take this project seriously, I think you need to change/add to your project's plot and present it again after you've made some changes.

How about, instead of killing Link's sister, she is kidnapped? Killing her just seems... overkill (no pun intended). Link would set off to find her and save her.

Also, you should have a little bit more figured out before you present your project for recruiting. People need to know you have plans, that you've got a solid idea and you just need a little help making it happen. From this, it looks like everyone else will be doing most of the work when, ideally, you should be doing most of the work as head of the project.

If you really don't want your project to fall apart like the others. Figure out a way to present it as a solid, well-thought-out, and well-organized, project.

Key idea: People need to know that it is worth their time and effort to help you with this.

I wish you the best of luck. :)
  • My Music

PoeFacedKilla

Prussian Killer Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 09:03:48 pm »

i don't believe i asked for criticism, its pretty early in development.  And if you are just gonna talk s**t, then this thread isn't for you, now is it?  

+1. While constructive criticism is appropriate, the way Min said it is not. Just remember, if all you listen to is positive feedback, your game will suck and it might not even get a demo out.

It's not a bad story, but there's already a plothole: if Link and his sister were sleeping near eachother, why did they kill her and leave Link alone? Other than that, it seems just a prologue. Intro, yada yada yada now save Hyrule. From what? How? Why?
that is just the intro.  But, i'm trying to play it like nintendo and not release much of the story. I have quite a bit of the story written.
  • Zelda Shrine
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 09:05:19 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
that is just the intro.  But, i'm trying to play it like nintendo and not release much of the story. I have quite a bit of the story written.

.. which means that my suggestion on the plot should be scratched I guess. :P
  • My Music

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:06:05 pm »
Nintendo already has a team of developers ready to work. You are a lone developer recruiting over the internet. You NEED to release information to get people to join you.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 09:41:35 pm »

Like dotd94 said, Nintendo doesn't need to recruite. They release info to wet consumers appetites. When a producer pitches a new idea they have to show everything to get a team and approval to make something. You don't need an approval, but you do need a team. Thus that means you need to show things. Making a progress topic for starters and showing perhaps some mock-ups of ingame situations.

With what you have got now I won't give a thought about joining you. Because it looks as if you got an idea for a situation, but nothing designed and worked out. That is how it looks. And I have to agree with earlier statements, that the plot does not really hold up or would be enjoyable.

Then you've got the problem that in the current situation everyone is busy with their own projects and real life.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 03:19:54 am »
This is why projects almost always fail... because these fans seem to think people will praise their ideas.

Study story-telling and learn about writing more then you should pick up on the story.

My documentaions for most of my games as a MERE 'concept' range anywhere from 15 to 29 pages.

When I have the games plot and idea I expand and make a story... this is just a paragraph really.
Game Designer and Artist

My Zelda Projects Official Site:
http://unicornslair.byethost17.com

I encourage you, please rate my Project here!
  • The Legend of Zelda: Secret Depths of the Unicorns Lair
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 62 queries.

anything