Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved] Classic Microsoft Paint  (Read 3582 times)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
[Solved] Classic Microsoft Paint
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:48:02 am »
I completely hate the Windows 7 version of Paint. It's awful! Can't Microsoft do anything right?

So could someone find me a download link to Vista or XP paint?
I can't do any spriting with 7's version.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:32:53 pm by Xiphirx »
  • Phoenix Heart
Re: [Request] Classic Microsoft Paint
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 11:09:07 am »
My suggestion is to use Paint.NET. It is a free graphics editor based on the old version of MS Paint, with a lot of added features that also appear in Photoshop and GIMP.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 11:26:06 am »
I feel your pain, the reason I run out of memory is because the new paint loads the image 10x for the undo limit, whereas the old one did it only twice. I have not got a copy, but if you find one, I would like it.
  • Elliott Parkinson

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 12:54:25 pm »
It's ironic how the only of the truly user friendly programs on vista is now unfriendly on 7. Microsoft sure know how to screw up. Im gonna keep looking
  • Phoenix Heart

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 01:31:20 pm »
  • .越//

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 02:45:49 pm »
Sweet action. Does anyone have Vista's MS Paint? That one was my personal favorite.
  • https://colbydude.com

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 11:15:12 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Dunno how "Microsoft screwed up" when the new paint offers spriters the ability to layer and add transparency. If anything, it's a more robust tool for professionals to use, instead of the amateur original paint :|. There's a difference between someone fuckin' up, and someone not being able to get used to change :P

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 11:26:05 pm »
Dunno how "Microsoft screwed up" when the new paint offers spriters the ability to layer and add transparency. If anything, it's a more robust tool for professionals to use, instead of the amateur original paint :|. There's a difference between someone fuckin' up, and someone not being able to get used to change :P

I'll list why they screwed up when Im not tired.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 11:38:48 pm »
Sweet action. Does anyone have Vista's MS Paint? That one was my personal favorite.

I don't know if this will work but check the attached file.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 02:13:32 am »
Eh, I've gotten so used to the features in photoshop I'd be mad to switch. It's as easy as changing my settings to the spriting profile for pixel perfectness.
And I always thought win7's paint looked a lot better and more sophisticated than the old ones, I don't know how you could use an image program that doesn't have layers.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 02:36:43 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
You don't need layers for spriting.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 03:44:52 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

And why not exactly..?

Maybe not for some stupid small scale games, but games where you have a lot of interchangable equipment it comes in handy. Not to mention objects in-game that require multiple layered enemies. The more complex your game requirements become, the more complex the spriting becomes. Layers are a must-have for all sorts of in-game applications. Then again; no, you don't need layers for Zelda Classic games or most stupid GM games <_< but they're not really high end to begin with.

tl;dr (not that it was long)- "hurr durr you don't need layers if your sprites are one-offs and not really used for anything."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:48:38 am by Mamoruアニメ »
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 06:30:59 am »
That is why I use Paint.NET instead of MS Paint. It offers everything ms paint has and much more, including layers. From what I know was that it originally was meant to replace the original mspaint in Vista already, but the creators thought it was best served as a freeware tool.
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 11:03:00 am »
I moved back to Vista Paint ever since I got Windows 7. There are ways to even let Windows recognize it and use that version of Paint. Google it.
Windows 7 Paint sucks so hard.
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 12:48:23 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
multiple layered enemies

You're right, I forgot about stuff like this.  :V  I'm too accustomed to Gameboy Zelda games where they don't have complex sprites.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 04:51:15 pm »

And why not exactly..?

Maybe not for some stupid small scale games, but games where you have a lot of interchangable equipment it comes in handy. Not to mention objects in-game that require multiple layered enemies. The more complex your game requirements become, the more complex the spriting becomes. Layers are a must-have for all sorts of in-game applications. Then again; no, you don't need layers for Zelda Classic games or most stupid GM games <_< but they're not really high end to begin with.

tl;dr (not that it was long)- "hurr durr you don't need layers if your sprites are one-offs and not really used for anything."
You seem to use the word "stupid" in exchange for simple, and that's just not accurate. Just because some art is simple or doesn't need complex tools to achieve doesn't make it a stupid game.

I personally use the old Paint because it does everything I need it to do(even if it is a bit crippled), and I just don't like the new one, and no that's not because of change. I hate the ribbon interface, the pen tool cursor is annoying(I prefer the +), zooming is worse(sure you can zoom in more, but you can't specify where). Also, I still don't see any options for layers or transparency in my Windows 7 version... so really there is no huge benefit for converting, unless I got some crippled version with my Windows 7.

I say let people use what they're comfortable with instead of trying to make them convert using belittling words. Sure, people who use the old paint probably do have a hard time changing, but that doesn't change their skill(even if they have to work harder), and doesn't make anything they do stupid. And more importantly, the new MSPaint does not offer anything more important for pixel artists, making it a useless conversion. They're better off switching to something like Paint.NET, Gimp, Graphics Gale, or something suited to pixel art if they're actually willing to make the change(something they could have done a long time ago).

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 11:50:32 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yes, I am using the word stupid in exchange for simple. The point still remains <_<

Ever hear the expression "stupid simple"? Yup, same context.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 12:04:54 am by Mamoruアニメ »
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 04:30:27 am »
Yes, I am using the word stupid in exchange for simple. The point still remains <_<

Ever hear the expression "stupid simple"? Yup, same context.
No I haven't, because I find it offensive that you think anything that comes out of MSPaint is "stupid" or "simple." Just because a tool is simple doesn't make the outcome of said tool simple.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 74 queries.