Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Im new! A java programmer looking to make a zelda mmo.  (Read 11583 times)

spectrumbranch

Re: Im new! A java programmer looking to make a ...
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 05:38:31 pm »
I may send code your way sometime.

Do you have any plans or ideas for how you want to license your code?

unenergizer

Your local java programmer!
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 04:46:39 am »
  • Java Programmer. Working on a MMO!
Making an MMO will be challenging man, but I do see alot of potential from what you've posted.
So most graphics you will be using or currently using are custom?  :huh:

Yes my graphics are custom.  I have a video for us tonight/today (depending on where u are).  It's 5 aclock somewhere right? No? who knows. Anyway, enjoy this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEHN_FDwNKY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEHN_FDwNKY</a>

Read the youtube description to find out what is going on or visit the project website!  Soon I will have an about page and I will link to zfgc for kindly letting me talk about the game(yes I do appreciate it!).

best regards,
unenergizer
I am a java programmer.  I am planning on making a zelda like mmo.  I was around a long time ago when "Zelda Online" was being made.  I still remember this website and the guys making it.  I want to continue their idea but I have the funds and the drive to make it succeed!

www.RetroMMO.com
  • RetroMMO

unenergizer

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 04:50:18 am »
I may send code your way sometime.

Do you have any plans or ideas for how you want to license your code?

(sorry for double posting)

I am not far enough along in planning to answer this question.  More than likely for security reasons the code itself will be mostly private.  however this may change in the future depending on what we will feel is best for the players.
I am a java programmer.  I am planning on making a zelda like mmo.  I was around a long time ago when "Zelda Online" was being made.  I still remember this website and the guys making it.  I want to continue their idea but I have the funds and the drive to make it succeed!

www.RetroMMO.com
  • RetroMMO

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 10:33:46 am »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
I do hope that the entire game won't be as dark as that area. I know that MMO games with a set atmosphere exist but they aren't as enjoyable as a game where the entire world is vastly different. From the plot line we chose I'd imagine this to be a country as the "world" instead of a planet. So you might consider making regions to fit what might be found in one country. Or it could be two countries since one is evil and the other is good. Even if the full of each country isn't explorable it has many more options his way. They could be separated by sea which would allow for an islandic area. Above that could be... Plains. And each direction could have different terrain types. Maybe something like...

Good region
South- tropical
North- plateau
East- forest
west- mountainous

That makes it sound as if the good region has an all around higher altitude after leaving the coast. I imagine that the north could be a great place for the capital city but creativity allows for much more.

Maybe there is a city in the mountains where the monks train, or ninja and samurai settlements in the forests. Who's to say that it has the normal run-of-the mill set up? Maybe the knights aren't the ruling power. The country could be governed by a shogun for example.
If only to add to the high fantastical possibilities you could have the two nations with completely opposite terrain.

Evil country

North- tropical
Central- desert
West- savannah
South- volcanic lands (was abboreal the word?)
East- canyons/valleys

But those are just examples of how the world could be set up. Those areas being the extremes, As you would want things to be realistically changing. A gradual change from plains to forest, or as you enter the mountains you may pass through crag or caves. And the higher up you might have more and more snow.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:45:21 am by Kienamaru »
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0

unenergizer

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 11:54:07 pm »
The graphics used in the game and the screen shot is just to show some proof of concept and skill.  The world map will be vibrant and well edited.  This I can assure you.  I have a real life friend that is going to be joining me soon on this project.  He is a awesome artist and I know he will come through for us on this.  He also see's this game as being a way he can communicate his art in video games and potentially as a future career.  So we both have common goals, a love for games, and a want to join the game creation industry.  He doesn't know about the website yet, but I'll surprise him soon. :D

I like stuff like this:
http://deathkof.deviantart.com/art/proximamente-346513222
http://callmegav.deviantart.com/art/Don-t-fret-for-now-is-not-the-time-for-grieving-346960843

But I will make sure the art has it's own style as this will not be a pokemon or a zelda rip off.  This will be an original game and have an original story.  I would personally appreciate if people got involved more and gave their opinions on what they think the game should and should Not have.  Honestly, I want this to be loved by many and I want to make a game that not only I would love to play, but a game others will want to play too!

-une
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:01:16 am by unenergizer »

www.RetroMMO.com
  • RetroMMO

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 05:14:02 am »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
Well let's talk about what the game shouldn't have first. And this will probably be updated.

Voice overs- There shouldn't be full voices for characters, but more like Hah! Hyut! Hnf! Hmm? etc. If you intend to have full cutscenes that aren't in game but are animated or drawn out then I would suggest having a storytelling like narration.

Bland villages- There needs to be life in the villages, even if there aren't many players around. I'd recommend at least a person per house and a families for most of them. Have people walking around town, talking to each other, have some too busy to speak to you. They might be on duty or whatever. Children could play catch or tag etc. Adults could do any number of jobs from postman work, to getting water from a well and taking it back home, to guarding. Inside of taverns there should be dancing and maybe have tavern only music that plays to simulate the bards' instruments.

2 heights of people- I notice that most games tend to have characters who are either Adults or kids but no inbetween. I wouldn't make this mistake were I you. While age isn't necessarily known, it would help to have Children sized, adolescent sized, and adult sized characters to build a realistic world.
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 11:19:57 pm »
  • Let's do this.
This is pretty nice! :D
I am also working on a Java game and recognize the FPS counter on top. You are using Slick, aren't you?
Anyway, I will cast an eye at your project.

Greetings, Rayo :)
This is one of many tales Hylian lore speaks of...

Click here to check out my Deviantart!
  • Zelda Time Walker
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 48 queries.

anything