Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project of the Week Suggestion  (Read 3869 times)

Project of the Week Suggestion
« on: January 04, 2009, 08:33:11 am »
  • Minalien
Suggestion: Use projects being developed by members who are active in the community and have shown at least some recent progress to the community.

I'd also suggest asking for nominations from the community.

Basically, include the community in the process of PROJECT OF THE WEEK.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
Re: Project of the Week Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:11:36 am »
Your suggestion neglects reality. I checked the Completed Projects, Scrapped Projects, Concepts, and WIP Projects part of the site and there has not been anything prominent and new that hasn't been recently covered as a Project of the Week. Furthermore, I looked over the Zelda Development and Other Development boards on the forum. The most recent updated Zelda projects are either not on the site or have been recently covered. The Other projects are mostly not on the site and are not really pursued that much on the forum.

I have asked certain users to post their projects on the site. These projects, at the time of me asking, would have been recently updated and worked on. However, these users never returned my messages to them. Some other people who have not been asked specifically haven't posted their projects as well for reasons known only to them.

And specifically today's decision. It was the first project of the week for the year, and that project was highlighted as the best in show for the NCFC. It was on the first page of the Zelda Development board. Not only was it a good project, but it was created by someone who is active on the forum - not to mention, it was a team effort, something that is lacked here quite a bit. I didn't have the luxury of not choosing a project as well, as if I sat on my hands, it would just look like I wasn't doing anything.

As I talked to walnut100 about and as you may have said in the past, I don't know you may have (either you or DJvenom), is that the Project of the Week should be changed back to Project of the Month. Its weekly occurrence makes it seem a little less worth it to be nominated at all - regardless of if it is one man's choice or nominated by the entire community.

Setting it to a monthly thing would make it seem less temporal and would allow the project itself to be more explored and viewed upon once chosen. And as the choosing of such a project would not need to happen every seven days, it would be easy to discuss with the news team as to what the project should be. The project would have staff and user comments, a review of the project with pictures, an interview with the creator(s), etc. I believe this is better.

In my honest opinion, the motive of you posting this topic is mainly your disagreement with me. In addition, your use of the word "community" over in over begets a point made on rhetoric alone. I do appreciate any suggestion though, so I thank you for it. Ideally, getting more people to the site as well as increasing the quality of what goes on the site is important. I believe the plan I mentioned above works better on a practical level and would just as well obtain a community presence.

As for why this hasn't been implemented right away, the news team has been focused on the character competition and the administration has had other things on their plate. Quite possibly, I haven't addressed my concerns to them as well as I could have. It will be resolved hopefully before the month of February, however.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:23:30 am »
  • Minalien
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=31439.0 - 30 Nov
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=32793.0 - Not at all.

Two games that are actively being developed, with updates showing IN the community. One of which hasn't been featured at all, while the other hasn't since the end of November.

And don't feed me !@#$% about me only posting this because I dislike you. How I feel towards you had nothing to do with it. Just because I disagree with a lot of what you want/say/do, does not mean that I only disagree because I'm sick of you.

And yes, I can see that you have your hands full with the character competition. It must be incredibly difficult and time-consuming to post a new article once every three or so days saying "such-and-such won this round in this division," and "so-and-so is up against whoever this week." Yes, must be challenging. Can't comprehend how much work you have to do.

New proposition: Change PotW to "4Sword's game of the Week award"
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:45:12 am »
The first example you posted was covered about a month ago and for some reason I had thought that I had already covered it twice. The second is recent, but was bumped down the page to where it wasn't that visible off-hand. While it was on the site, it was initially off-putting due its graphical style. I am not perfect and would be open to the suggestion of featuring it though as I can see it has its merits - likely it will be featured this next week or before the transition to the monthly style as I envision it.

And even so, that's only two projects to pick out of, and it would have gotten to a point where I would be covering the same project multiple times.

As for your comments about the character competition, I worked on updating the bracket, writing up more than just who won and who's next (I include colorful language to add more substance), getting the icon off of the bracket for use with the news item, stopping whatever I was working on at the time to do the news items, and in some cases writing up the news items in advance if the outcome is undetermined but the topic needs to be made as soon as possible. The technicality of it is not that difficult, but the tediousness of it is a little daunting.

And finally, walnut100 is now on the news team and he told me he wants to help out with the Project of the Week - he has been busy recently with college stuff though as well as the character contest.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:43:37 pm »
Not trying to be a DICK here.. but is there seriously any need for a seven paragraph reply 4sword?  I did read it, but neither of you should be trying to show up each other.

Regardless.. I don't think involving the community with the process is necessary either. As it is weekly, however a monthly or every three month 'Project of the ___' wouldn't be a bad idea.. if we waited every three months, 12 games could be put against each other, if we did it monthly, only four, but still not a bad idea.. and it would make a fitting weekly question for when you run out of those.

Just a thought.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 07:22:49 pm »
The number of paragraphs in my post was the result of me trying to be thorough and me being courteous enough to break my entire thought up into sections related to each idea. To draw my motive for that post's length to be so I could show someone up is to overlook that.

In the news currently, projects that get highlighted mostly just happen to be shown in the Project of the Week. Interviews used to be included with these, but ultimately, conducting them was a hassle to do on a weekly basis, impractical in that some projects did not have that much to talk about, etc. The Project of the Week detracts from the fact that for some weeks there are multiple projects that deserve mention.

Looking forward, either a three-week or a month format would work best, preferably the month format since it is easier to look back on in retrospect and gives enough time for interviews, reviews, and user comments - and would receive a month of recognition for their hard work. This does not mean that other projects would not be talked about, just that the way they would be handled would change. Most likely, there would be something like a weekly roundup which talked about all the noteworthy project updates of the week. This would give news writers more to do and would increase the quality of the coverage of projects on the site.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 07:26:31 pm »
Yeah, make's more sense.

I hope to properly organize the journalist team soon, perhaps even today. I have a bit of work to do today though.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 07:38:33 pm »
The number of paragraphs in my post was the result of me trying to be thorough and me being courteous enough to break my entire thought up into sections related to each idea.
That's a very nice thing of you to do, however I think you should use some colour or pictures to liven your posts up a bit. Any good spokesman will know what is important to the audience that he is adressing. If we take ZFGC's target users in mind, we will notice that many of them are dumb illiterate fools who'd rather just post "tl;dr" than take the time to read your post and provide insightful feedback.
To draw my motive for that post's length to be so I could show someone up is to overlook that.
I see that. But you must realize that it's not always in your best interest to be so verbose in your posts. Still, I must concur and say that Vash is not exactl your Grade-A poster around here either. He should put some more effort into his work, but I digress. We should save such a discussion for a later date.

In the news currently, projects that get highlighted mostly just happen to be shown in the Project of the Week.

Fair enough. Ken still raises a good point that I just cannot ignore. You provide a satisfactory reasoning behind your PotW concept, but I do feel the execution and, ultimately, the result can be lacking. The community really should be more involved, since this is after all a Zelda FanGames Community.

Interviews used to be included with these, but ultimately, conducting them was a hassle to do on a weekly basis, impractical in that some projects did not have that much to talk about, etc.
I understand completely. There are several practical problems that may arrive in such a situation. Still, you as the organizer should take the task on your hands to give it your all so that the PotW can be regarded as one of ZFGC's most successful achievements. The success or failure of such an undertaking depends on you, I would say.
The Project of the Week detracts from the fact that for some weeks there are multiple projects that deserve mention.
Certainly so, but we need to keep a set number, I would say. Limiting PotW to just one project a week is a good way to make sure that the quality keeps up to a certain level. You'd rather not have several projects highlighted, but see that the coverage of each project is fairly mediocre and unsatisfactory, no?

Looking forward, either a three-week or a month format would work best, preferably the month format since it is easier to look back on in retrospect and gives enough time for interviews, reviews, and user comments - and would receive a month of recognition for their hard work.

Very true. I think this could be a good counterbalance to PotW. Such a concept would have the advantages you mentioned, as it would be easier to organize and produce. I'd like to see this become reality.
This does not mean that other projects would not be talked about, just that the way they would be handled would change.
This will require careful dilligence, since it could lead to an unfair divide between the highlighted projects. You'll need to make sure that each project gets the attention it deserves, but who is going to judge which project is more "important" than the other?
Most likely, there would be something like a weekly roundup which talked about all the noteworthy project updates of the week.

And who would be seated in such a commission? Would it be practical to organize a round-up like that each week? Picking your team members could be quite difficult.
This would give news writers more to do and would increase the quality of the coverage of projects on the site.
I'm still not convinced on this. It's going to depend on the people behind the organization. I'm not sure if there are enough ambitions posters like you out there who could handle such a delicate matter. Still, you have my wishes of luck.

Oh and:
how the !@#$% is this spam

this is an alt account for hyrule_boy

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 07:48:43 pm »
  • b e p i s
MiN's suggestions are quite good, actually. However, there is also the problem of there simply not being enough going on in the dev forums, a problem I predicted when I first started the Weekly.

Solution? Highlight members. I did this with Sprite Collector once and asked him very in-depth questions about his creative drive, his inspiration, and some vague-ish stuff about the philosophy of art. The reception seemed to be positive and he was very enthusiastic about the interview.

The "featured" section of the Weekly was originally intended to highlight creativity in the community, not just a project. Not saying you've strayed from it at all! Just posting a friendly reminder that not all of the work being done here centers around game development, no matter what we associate ourselves with.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 07:49:56 pm »
MiN's suggestions are quite good, actually. However, there is also the problem of there simply not being enough going on in the dev forums, a problem I predicted when I first started the Weekly.

Solution? Highlight members. I did this with Sprite Collector once and asked him very in-depth questions about his creative drive, his inspiration, and some vague-ish stuff about the philosophy of art. The reception seemed to be positive and he was very enthusiastic about the interview.

The "featured" section of the Weekly was originally intended to highlight creativity in the community, not just a project. Not saying you've strayed from it at all! Just posting a friendly reminder that not all of the work being done here centers around game development, no matter what we associate ourselves with.

I like this idea much better... >.> Projects are too few and far between.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~

Tet

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 08:09:38 pm »
  • I believe. I believe in ghosts.
That's a very nice thing of you to do, however I think you should use some colour or pictures to liven your posts up a bit. Any good spokesman will know what is important to the audience that he is adressing. If we take ZFGC's target users in mind, we will notice that many of them are dumb illiterate fools who'd rather just post "tl;dr" than take the time to read your post and provide insightful feedback.
This sounds like a quite interesting communication method. But we must also consider the implications on personal and website bandwidth. If someone with posts as large as 4sword's were to use sufficient image and color formatting to enhance the appearance and content of their posts, the network strain would be enormous. It is good that you are thinking constructively, but we must think practically as well.

I see that. But you must realize that it's not always in your best interest to be so verbose in your posts. Still, I must concur and say that Vash is not exactl your Grade-A poster around here either. He should put some more effort into his work, but I digress. We should save such a discussion for a later date.
Indeed, we should. Posting techniques are far and in between here on Zelda Fan Game Central. As a community we should hold a meeting to formulate a standard posting template to support easy posting and easy reading.

Fair enough. Ken still raises a good point that I just cannot ignore. You provide a satisfactory reasoning behind your PotW concept, but I do feel the execution and, ultimately, the result can be lacking. The community really should be more involved, since this is after all a Zelda FanGames Community.
It is as you say, community is the most important factor in the Project of the Week. Thus, I move to suggest that we set the foundations for an honestly community driven Project of the Week. Why not install a system where members of the community select a Project of the Week via standard parliamentary procedures?

I understand completely. There are several practical problems that may arrive in such a situation. Still, you as the organizer should take the task on your hands to give it your all so that the PotW can be regarded as one of ZFGC's most successful achievements. The success or failure of such an undertaking depends on you, I would say.
I could not have summarized my own feelings on the subject better if even I had attempted to state them. If executed correctly by its coordinator and the community, the Project of the Week could ascend to its rightful place as the epitome of Zelda fan gaming. It would not be an easy task to undertake, but it is my belief that with a strong, intelligent, and loving community coupled with a leader that types as much as 4sword, it can be accomplished.

Certainly so, but we need to keep a set number, I would say. Limiting PotW to just one project a week is a good way to make sure that the quality keeps up to a certain level. You'd rather not have several projects highlighted, but see that the coverage of each project is fairly mediocre and unsatisfactory, no?
I feel that I must agree on this point. An "honorable mention" field would be acceptable, but history has shown us that in order to maintain maximum quality per Project of the Week, we should constrict the primary showcase to one single project per output.

Very true. I think this could be a good counterbalance to PotW. Such a concept would have the advantages you mentioned, as it would be easier to organize and produce. I'd like to see this become reality.
Even though it is sad to admit, the number of projects released by the community is shockingly total. Therefore, yes, the best way to cope with this proverbial harvest of gaming would be to replace the Project of the "Week" with a, say, Project of the "Month" and so on.

This will require careful dilligence, since it could lead to an unfair divide between the highlighted projects. You'll need to make sure that each project gets the attention it deserves, but who is going to judge which project is more "important" than the other?
True quality work should be admired in full. All other projects can be discussed and given the "attention they deserve" in their respective topics. That is what they're there for, after all is said and done.

And who would be seated in such a commission? Would it be practical to organize a round-up like that each week? Picking your team members could be quite difficult.
Very much so. But, again, I myself tend to hope that from the unwashed masses of the community, those capable and wishing to tackle such a burdensomely ambitious collaboration as the Project of the Week will rise up and take charge.

I'm still not convinced on this. It's going to depend on the people behind the organization. I'm not sure if there are enough ambitions posters like you out there who could handle such a delicate matter. Still, you have my wishes of luck.
We keep coming to this part about the community, you and I. Don't you trust in the joyful social bonding of ZFGC? Surely they can meet the challenge if given the opening.
n__n
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 08:12:48 pm »
My posts do in a lot of cases get wordy, but the post in this topic in question did have a lot of points to address and explain. If I made it shorter, some of those points would not have been made or I would have had to explain them later - not to mention, being succinct at three in the morning is difficult.

The problem with how the idea for community involvement is given is that disagreeing with it is somehow vilifying. If I made the word "community" bold and kept repeating it without much further explanation, insisting on it being right without much further explanation beyond that is weak. The ideal of the idea is good, but the practicality in reaching the goal of the idea is not enough. Should users submit ideas for what they think should be featured? Yes, but most users do not care either way, and those deciding what is to be featured can be sent a PM. But really, this topic was in reaction to the recent pick for Project of the Week. What he is asking for in terms of covering active projects is what I have pretty much done in past weeks, this just happens to be a little deviation.

Conducting interviews for the Project of the Week came to be impractical due to users not being able to conduct an interview out of either not caring, not being online at all, or the projects not having that much to comment on. It got to be further impractical when an interview would be scheduled, the person interviewed would agree to it, but then they would put it off with no word back to me.

Thus, if it were to be a Project of the Month, that project would get more focus, more community reaction, more news effort, etc. It would be practically feasible and more noteworthy. Projects that were prominent for that week would get highlighted and would still be eligible to be Project of the Month. The projects of that week highlighted would receive mention more in that if eligible they would get talked about every week assuming something with their project was new.

The project roundup would not be that difficult to do at all, it would just have to follow a format that would be appealing to the viewer and beneficial to the developer.

As for members being highlighted, personally I would like there to be a Member of the Month again; possibly that it even be given a spot on the site's frontpage as well. This is a moral booster and would help new users see that we care about our members and may leave them more inclined to stay.

Finally, here are some things that I was planning on with other ideas of yours included sort of:
- Project of the Month
- Member of the Month
- Project Roundup
- Graphics Update
- ZFGC Weekly

Oh, and furthermore, I think that this community should be bolded because we are such a bold community.

community
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 09:37:53 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
I'm pretty positive Guardians of Hyrule was already a project of the week.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 09:39:06 pm »
I know that. That's why I included a note in the Weekly indicating that it was now featured more than once.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 12:08:14 am »
  • The Mike
Thus, if it were to be a Project of the Month, that project would get more focus, more community reaction, more news effort, etc. It would be practically feasible and more noteworthy. Projects that were prominent for that week would get highlighted and would still be eligible to be Project of the Month. The projects of that week highlighted would receive mention more in that if eligible they would get talked about every week assuming something with their project was new.
Something that could be done with PotW (heh heh) and PotM. Users could vote for their favorite project to be selected for Project of the Month. If that can't be done, just one project shown off a month would be much easier and not rushed I guess.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 12:28:03 am »
New circumstances emerged and if the idea is agreed to, the selection of a Project of the Week will be handled for the next three times by a group of people who help out with stuff on the site. Likely starting in February, the Project of the Week will be changed to Project of the Month. The aforementioned group will handle project nomination; some members of the group will also be helping with reviews and the interview for the project selected as well.

I had also planned on user reviews for the project, but I haven't fully fleshed that out. A thing to be avoided is telling a bunch of users what the project was before it was announced as being the project of the month. Thus, either very few users would be asked and sworn to secrecy or users would give suggestions as to what they wanted and if the nominated project matched, then they would get to provide their opinion of the game in the project of the month's news item.

There already is a voting system for projects on the site, so that could be worked in someway  as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 70 queries.

anything