Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - September 28th, 2008  (Read 3577 times)

[ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - September 28th,...
« on: September 28, 2008, 04:06:48 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
How can we as a community come together to further improve ZFGC?

(nb4 make it dead/put it down/kill it/etc.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:07:19 am by 4Sword »
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
Re: [ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - September 2...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 04:09:22 am »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
Replace ZFG with something productive or axe it obviously.

I C'Z U

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 04:11:49 am »
  • Xiphirx
Kill the grudges
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 04:24:10 am »
  • I just saved Hyrule! I'd say that's worth a kiss.
I think greater involvement in the community project would always be cool!

I think the first thing we need to do is GET MORE MEMBERS. GET NEW FACES IN HERE. the fact that I left this place for like forever and just came back and I barely see ANY new people is a telling sign. We all need to do our part and spread the word and make this community lively again. Tell your friends! Show them all the cool stuff here! Get them into Zelda if you have to!

Maybe even show your friends the cool Zelda fangame you've been making! If you're lucky, they might even become interested in doing something like it!

Also, this is mostly tangential, but...if it wern't for the zelda fan games and the title of the forum being ZELDA FGC, you'd barely be able to tell this is a Zelda fan forum.... I mean nobody ever talks about Zelda games! Where are the heated timeline debates? People fighting to the death over the connection between the Zora and the Rito? People making sexual remarks about what they'd do with Zelda/Malon if they were real? Hell, I havn't even seen any Tingle hate in forever.

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"

"SFPFPWMF,MAZ,BMOTAONFC"
for short.

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
"SFPFPWMF,MAZ,BMOTAONFC" for short.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 04:28:26 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
How about contributing?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:24:08 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
How about contributing?

How about contributing something of value to this topic? :P

I agree a lot with Aliento, The forum, however, wasn't really based on Zelda itself, It was based on OoT2D, a zelda fangame and we do have an amount of those, although they aren't really substantial to our forum anymore.

The community project is probably the best thing we have going to symbolize what the forum should be about, Zelda fan game development, however, the staff do not want to be assholes about it and cut back on all of the community discussion.

And yeah, we have lots of new members, however they often barely make one post. We do get lots of new members, just not active ones. They'll make an intro topic, and that will pretty much make up their entire post count. It takes time to warm up to the community, I've been here for almost two years and haven't really started actually contributing until a few months ago.

But what can we do? Well, show more interest in Zelda fan games, help welcome new members, contribute to the ZFGCCP and give more feedback/constructive criticism
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 06:37:02 am »
The forum, when it began to go by Zelda Fan Game Central, seemed to be a place to showcase OoT2D and what ultimately spawned from people getting inspired by it - having a place where people could post their other projects in a place where nice projects were was also a positive attribute.

As for the Community Project, I have been in contact with Kren and Scooternew about it and I plan on featuring it in an upcoming issue of the Weekly as well as possibly writing up news items for significant updates that occur with it - since Darklight is a global moderator and a local moderator of the Community Project board though, I would assume that he could be the one to do this.  Also, in addition to all of that, I have suggested, and it has been positively received that the project be put up as a WIP project on the site so that viewing it can be easier than going though topics. 

Also, I have put forward events, continually called for other events, reported topics that have when dealt with have made the forum more orderly, have worked on a fan game in both Game Maker and C++, have posted intelligently, and have helped out others when I can.  Contributing is easy if you just do what you are good at and seek to better yourselves at things if you can do such in as non-conflicting a way as possible.

However, like I have said elsewhere, to improve development, C++ and other advanced languages would help us get new members who would stay here because we were offering something good and largely exclusive to ourselves, and those who are going to pursue game development of programming in general as a career path are going to be receptive to outlets of creativity involving that.  Game Maker is great in its own right and it can be used well by those who know how, but advanced languages are where it is at.

Also, I have a friend named Pagano who is a moderator on another site.  I am trying to get him to go to this one since he is getting better at game programming in XNA, he has a video capture card on his computer which could help out with game tournaments, he's intelligent like I am, and he is not too shabby at site design.  I'll bother him about this later, lol.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:41:18 am by 4Sword »

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 10:11:01 pm »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
Get more people to reply as as to how we can as a community come together to further improve ZFGC.

I C'Z U
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 11:21:45 pm »
I must have killed this topic when I posted in it, either that or there are a lot of people here who just do not care or cannot think of anyway to answer the question.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 11:34:14 pm »
  • The devil in the mirror.
I think that if we actually got the Community project rolling, and I don't mean yet another topic on what needs to be done, but actually get it somewhere, that would pull members, and thus help this place becoming better. And as 4Sword said, this is a nice place to help, showcase and get help on fangame projects, but anything outside fan-game projects doesn't belong here in my opinion(What do we have gamedev.net for?), aside from the small application that pop's up here and there. But lastly, make zfgc into just fgc. I think this place would do better with more focus on other fan-games, and not only Zelda games(Tho not abandoning Zelda completely ofcourse ;) )
Anyway, there have been many promising projects as of late, and if we got word of some of those projects to outside zfgc, we might yet beat the record of 300+ visitors in one day :P

Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 12:39:55 am »
People have got to stop saying "We should do this" "We should do that" and actually start doing something.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 12:46:53 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
People have got to stop saying "We should do this" "We should do that" and actually start doing something.

Everytime something gets done everyone bitches.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 12:49:33 am »

Then !@#$% back, say "You're not part of the staff so !@#$% off" and keep going about your buisness
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 12:57:59 am »
I don't think they should tell people to do that, but meh.  As I have been saying though, the problem isn't so much that the staff isn't doing anything, but that the everyone is getting lax and doing nothing. 
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 12:58:21 am »
  • Super Hero Time!

Then !@#$% back, say "You're not part of the staff so !@#$% off" and keep going about your buisness

A part of change is change that people will like. Even when you change what people want they !@#$%.

The only thing that hasn't been changed that people want is the font color but that's totally out of my control as I don't have access to the theme files and such.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 01:02:21 am »
Not all of the "bitching" is actually bitching - sometimes it is just healthy criticism which actually ends up refining the changes so that they are better and more future-proof.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 65 queries.

anything