Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Legend of Zelda: Using the Computer for What It Is  (Read 7914 times)

Legend of Zelda: Using the Computer for What It ...
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:28:15 am »
  • My Other Drug is Triforce.
Most of all fangames that turn up for any genre tend to use the keyboard and super tiny graphics.  I would never buy a comercial game that has a super tiny screen or  some terribly distorted sprites/models.  The keyboard is nice and all, but it just doesn't feel like a controller, and not all fangames have joypad-functional gameplay.  So what do I propose?  Well not all people have a gamepad so why not use just the mouse or even a tablet if the person has one.  Grahpics should also be a lot bigger on a computer screen, theres plenty of room.

It'd be nice to see a zelda game mimic the zelda PH gameplay style with the mouse.  I'm not very creative with storyline ideas and such so I don't bother with that.

I'm sure im pretty late on this idea, but I'd like to see some bigger graphics guys.
to zelda
sweet as nutella
  • Skymist

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Legend of Zelda: Using the Computer for What...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:36:13 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
The issue is that people are making fangames using premade sprites from the franchise. Sadly, they're not high resolution to begin with.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 01:43:39 pm »
  • :3
1st how big is bigger?   
2nd start making an engine :P
  • daniel-kun
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 01:28:41 am »
Bigger is big enough for me to see, look at how big your screen is, then figure how big the character could be.
and i cant program...i can only make gfx
to zelda
sweet as nutella
  • Skymist

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 01:38:16 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Bigger is big enough for me to see, look at how big your screen is, then figure how big the character could be.
and i cant program...i can only make gfx

That's a bad approach to development though... It sets up the graphical team to spend exhausting hours on something that should be considered later on in development (placeholders ftw) <_< That causes issues in 2 ways; commercially it makes your budget go through the roof (graphic artists tend to make MORE than programmers. Don't ask me why), and if you're doing a personal game, it makes you lose interest real quick.

My commercial project has a standard tilesize of 128x128; if I were to go any higher, you'd be wasting space for unseen/unnoticed visuals, since even that is big on HDTV.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 02:03:13 am »
For most programmers placeholders don't cut it, they need visuals to keep them occupied.
Unless the said programmer is a robot and doesn't care about that.

And how would a fan game make money, thats illegal.
to zelda
sweet as nutella
  • Skymist

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 02:14:18 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
For most programmers placeholders don't cut it, they need visuals to keep them occupied.

Technically so is making a fan game to begin with. Most companies are too busy having sex and rolling around in their gigantic piles of money to care. But again, now you're asking people to create graphics which they technically don't need to for FREE. As a graphic artist myself, I'd definitely be turned off by a "Need graphic artist to make Hi-def versions of every Zelda sprite from Minish Cap because I don't want to have a 2x scaled version on screen." post, but that's just me. Not saying it's a bad idea, because if I stumbled across a hi def minish cap sheet, I'd !@#$% bricks!

As for mouse controls, that would be sorta cheap unless you're planning on a point and click game which is pretty much all a mouse can do. A Zelda game would be limited to 2 items at any given time IF you don't want to be able to engage in conversation, or unless you wanna utilize mouse3. The keyboard is the perfect "gamepad" imho. You have your up down left and right, plus essentially unlimited ammounts of other buttons. Not to mention it's easiest to map up/down/left/right to w,a,s,d and then have your other functions be on the numpad, or something... I dunno.

I hate sounding so negative, but it just feels like the whole "innovative" gameplay pitch again. Innovation isn't making link do a  spinslash by spinning the mouse around him, it's making Link have to do a complex puzzle to even GET the spinslash! :D
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 02:18:28 am »
I hate sounding so negative, but it just feels like the whole "innovative" gameplay pitch again. Innovation isn't making link do a  spinslash by spinning the mouse around him, it's making Link have to do a complex puzzle to even GET the spinslash! :D

Nah that's not innovative. Innovative is when you make Link do a complex puzzle to get to a complex boss to get the spin slash, and THEN making Link do a certain button combo to do the spin slash.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 02:26:39 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

o.o having worked professionally on games in the past (Helix), I can tell you that tasks keep them occupied, not visuals... In fact, most programmers hate having to get too caught up in making things visually perfect... John (old programmer) got irritated quite frequently when I wanted things to be focused around graphics.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 02:37:28 am »
  • Colbydude was here.

Nah that's not innovative. Innovative is when you make Link do a complex puzzle to get to a complex boss to get the spin slash, and THEN making Link do a certain button combo to do the spin slash.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 02:57:22 am »

Technically so is making a fan game to begin with. Most companies are too busy having sex and rolling around in their gigantic piles of money to care. But again, now you're asking people to create graphics which they technically don't need to for FREE. As a graphic artist myself, I'd definitely be turned off by a "Need graphic artist to make Hi-def versions of every Zelda sprite from Minish Cap because I don't want to have a 2x scaled version on screen." post, but that's just me. Not saying it's a bad idea, because if I stumbled across a hi def minish cap sheet, I'd !@#$% bricks!

As for mouse controls, that would be sorta cheap unless you're planning on a point and click game which is pretty much all a mouse can do. A Zelda game would be limited to 2 items at any given time IF you don't want to be able to engage in conversation, or unless you wanna utilize mouse3. The keyboard is the perfect "gamepad" imho. You have your up down left and right, plus essentially unlimited ammounts of other buttons. Not to mention it's easiest to map up/down/left/right to w,a,s,d and then have your other functions be on the numpad, or something... I dunno.

I agree with DJ whole hearted

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 02:59:37 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
The issue is that people are making fangames using premade sprites from the franchise. Sadly, they're not high resolution to begin with.

I'm all for doubling or tripling the size of Zelda graphics so they fit more of the screen.  I'm used to using Zelda Classic, which has fullscreen and large modes, but I guess Gamemaker and other stuff don't have those options.

Check it out—bigger graphics.  ;D

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 03:27:06 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
lol that's scaling though; that's different from making high resolution graphics :p
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 03:37:54 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
I know, but it still looks fine and it's "bigger".  O:

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 03:49:17 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
XD yeah

Well; every developer should offer different resolution settings by default <_<;; but to invest countless hours in making high res graphics for a fangame is blegh
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 05:52:08 am »
this forum is wierd
i represent something as a statement, not a question
and i get an answer

i love it, i think ill be here for a while
to zelda
sweet as nutella
  • Skymist
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 06:18:42 am »
this forum is wierd
i represent something as a statement, not a question
and i get an answer

i love it, i think ill be here for a while
XD people argue about everything here, get used to it.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 06:21:30 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Lol; well... When a statement is fundamentally flawed it's going to get a response correcting it :p

Bottom Line: Fangames aren't going to have high res graphics <_< Nobody here cares to put that much effort into it. The ones that do are making their own IPs :p
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 06:28:19 am »
I think one of the advantages of using a computer is options. Let the player decide what keys they want to use, volume of music/SE's, fps (obviously keep them as nice choices, like 30/60, or leave it open ended), graphic quality, screen scaling, resolution, difficulty. This is where computers beat most console games hands down.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 08:08:43 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hqx
Use a scaling algorithm.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 75 queries.

anything