Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shuriken/ item ideas  (Read 8025 times)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
Re: Shuriken?
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2007, 12:22:36 am »
  • Silly cat!
Mwahahahaha! Rise Forth And Do My Bidding! Graveyard Post I Command You!  >:D

but seriously this was a good topic what happened? 
That's easy, you dug it up :P.

Hi.
First let me say that in my opinion HoF's point is valid and I'm not trying to dispute that however I still don't think that just because Zelda allows for items from other cultures that they necessarily fit with the style.

How would we feel if in the next Zelda Game Link ends up finding a........Hmmmnnn... this is hard most of the things that clash the with the style the most are either Japanese or stupidly modern like a gun but that wouldn't be a fair comparesen at all......

What they could do is put blades on the boomerang or something like that.

I do think Nintendo should add some new weapons but something that seems slightly more "Heroish" like a lance or a Helmet or something.
Somehow I just can't see Link sneaking along in the shadows and throwing a Shuriken at someone.
it might be good for an enemy though.
also I seem to remember that in "Super Smash Bros Melee" Shiek had throwing stars.
I think a Lance would be pretty cool, actually. It'd be a nice weapons to use on your horse, I don't know why Nintendo didn't throw it into Twilight Princess (probably because they realized Twilight Princess was already lacking in innovation and they wanted to make it worse).

But yeah, this topic is dead XD.

Hoffy.
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2007, 12:32:57 am »
I think a Lance would be pretty cool, actually. It'd be a nice weapons to use on your horse, I don't know why Nintendo didn't throw it into Twilight Princess (probably because they realized Twilight Princess was already lacking in innovation and they wanted to make it worse).

I don't know. I think the ball and chain was long due.

but that is for a differant topic this topic is beyond even dehvknulls Mighty powers.
Ya I'm a show off.
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2007, 01:47:40 am »
  • Hookshot to the Future!
Uh, you don't have to point out the obvious, REV2K7, but his or her post has enough content, so it is fine.
oh i didn't know if you added enough content it be fine so its just like lol or something is wrong ?
Check my ZRPG development blog at rev2k9blog.spaces.live.com
  • My Blog
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2007, 02:00:57 am »
If your post has a significant amount of well-thought and meaningful content, than you can post it, but doing this repeatedly for the sole purpose of getting a higher post count is unadvised and would be a bad thing.  The thing is, this topic can still be relevantly discussed, but bumping a request topic or something that is really dated and a new post wouldn't work because of chronological necessity is wrong.  Don't go out of your way, if at all possible don't do it.
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2007, 02:22:24 am »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
*Shuriken.

And, no. They're too un-Zeldaish. If you notice, 95% of all Zelda items are either a) Medieval or themed to the game (e.g. sea themed for WW)  or b) magic.

Shuriken are neither.
Or c) modern/ridiculous, like bombs or Hookshots. :P

1. Bombs the style of Zelda are vaguely historically themed. Especially with the fuse style of the bomb...
2. There's no way you can explain the hookshot without saying "magic" at some point. Also, they're vaguely medieval styled in terms of aesthetics, even if not the functional properties.
I'm pretty sure that in OoT Dampe said it was spring powered...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 04:28:15 am by 4Sword »
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2007, 03:03:10 am »
*Shuriken.

And, no. They're too un-Zeldaish. If you notice, 95% of all Zelda items are either a) Medieval or themed to the game (e.g. sea themed for WW)  or b) magic.

Shuriken are neither.
Or c) modern/ridiculous, like bombs or Hookshots. :P

1. Bombs the style of Zelda are vaguely historically themed. Especially with the fuse style of the bomb...
2. There's no way you can explain the hookshot without saying "magic" at some point. Also, they're vaguely medieval styled in terms of aesthetics, even if not the functional properties.
I'm pretty sure that in OoT Dampe said it was spring powered...
I think I remember it too.
Mwahahahaha! Rise Forth And Do My Bidding! Graveyard Post I Command You!  >:D

but seriously this was a good topic what happened? 
That's easy, you dug it up :P.

Hi.
First let me say that in my opinion HoF's point is valid and I'm not trying to dispute that however I still don't think that just because Zelda allows for items from other cultures that they necessarily fit with the style.

How would we feel if in the next Zelda Game Link ends up finding a........Hmmmnnn... this is hard most of the things that clash the with the style the most are either Japanese or stupidly modern like a gun but that wouldn't be a fair comparesen at all......

What they could do is put blades on the boomerang or something like that.

I do think Nintendo should add some new weapons but something that seems slightly more "Heroish" like a lance or a Helmet or something.
Somehow I just can't see Link sneaking along in the shadows and throwing a Shuriken at someone.
it might be good for an enemy though.
also I seem to remember that in "Super Smash Bros Melee" Shiek had throwing stars.

That's a very good idea. I can easily imagine how that would look. It would be extremely one with a Wiimote. XD
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 04:28:28 am by 4Sword »
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2007, 04:19:02 am »
  • SHOOP DA WOOP
The only reason someone would think having a shuriken as an item in a Zelda game would be a "good idea", is because they suffer something I like to refer to as the "crossover complex".

This is when a person has a strong interest or obsession over two different things, such as japanese weaponry, and Zelda thinks for one reason or another that it would be a logical idea to combine the two. Occasionally this emotion driven conclusion can conflict with the opinions of those who are only a fan of one of those things, and have no interest or opinion of the other.

Those that are only a fan of Zelda, and not of japanese weaponry, do not see it as a suitable Zelda item because of the pattern of previous Zelda games, and lack of any form of interest or opinion in japanese weaponry allows them to think about in a less emotional and more rational manner.

Additional information:
Returning boomerangs were origionally thought to be magical in nature, and boomerangs have an origin in many different cultures
Aztecs brought the ocarina to Europe, and went on to become popular in European communities as a toy instrument.

You do know that that was just a mention to the control scheme, right? (When TP was still in GC.) Phantom Hourglass is a normal Legend of Zelda game except the controls and it is coming out after TP.
Thank You!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:56:09 pm by Mandrag »
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2007, 03:50:41 am »
Actually the place I got this from was FF3. I thought Zelda maybe too, because FF has a similar fusion of cultrues.

A lance is an awesome idea, perfect.
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2007, 06:21:53 am »
  • SHOOP DA WOOP
Before you consider a lance for... what I'm going to go out on a limb and assume is a fangame, you should really consider the possible uses for the lance that can't already be done with the sword (besides be very long). What would make the lance different from the sword aside from the length? Would having it add anything to the gameplay, or would you be adding a lance for the sake of it being a lance? And considering  how often it's going to be used, would it even be worth putting in? (like the Slingshot, Dominion Rod, Spinner and Horse Call in TP)

What I'm really trying to say is that you shouldn't find an item then try to give it a use, you should think of a thing that would be fun to use and make it into an item we can all recognize.

While on the topic of items that would fit in a Zelda game, How well would a hula hoop size chakram fit? (with young link)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2007, 06:40:44 am »
  • Silly cat!
Before you consider a lance for... what I'm going to go out on a limb and assume is a fangame, you should really consider the possible uses for the lance that can't already be done with the sword (besides be very long). What would make the lance different from the sword aside from the length? Would having it add anything to the gameplay, or would you be adding a lance for the sake of it being a lance? And considering  how often it's going to be used, would it even be worth putting in? (like the Slingshot, Dominion Rod, Spinner and Horse Call in TP)
Received in a jousting minigame, can be used on horseback for the rest of the game. If there was a dungeon in which you could take Epona into, you could possible receive the item in there and use it against the boss. I think it would make a terrific item.

What I'm really trying to say is that you shouldn't find an item then try to give it a use, you should think of a thing that would be fun to use and make it into an item we can all recognize.
I do agree with this... and it's pretty much what Miyamoto does when he's coming up with a new game... He doesn't think of a series (eg Zelda) and try and give it a game, he thinks of a new way to play a game first.

Hoffy.
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2007, 07:31:53 pm »
Maybe you could hook it on to metal bars that the hookshot couldn't get (because they are metal). And maybe enemies that are armored (so no arrows) and are too tall to reach the weak point with your sword, or its hard/impossible to get close enough to use it.

Also if it was like a sewer, or a place with really tight spaces, it would be easier to stab with it.

And for the ZFGCCP, maybe you use it as a balance (not holding it in the center, or taking off the blade, of course) so its harder to fall off tightropes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 57 queries.

anything