Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 52   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer is dead - long live The Shadowgazer!  (Read 386326 times)

FireStone

Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer (15/6/2...
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2006, 06:39:42 am »
Thats another something thats sweet!

coopmaster

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2006, 02:16:43 am »
is it only one map or something becuase i read the signs and they say to hyrule castle are those parts included in the demo

Ice_Dragon

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2006, 09:30:18 am »
is it only one map or something becuase i read the signs and they say to hyrule castle are those parts included in the demo

Nah its a one map technical demo, or at least thats what Mob said :P
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2006, 05:07:08 pm »
Sigh... It pains me to show this...
Here are the errors from your tech demo.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2006, 05:09:45 pm »
OMG! What happened there!
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2006, 01:30:08 pm »
OMG! What happened there!

Beats the crap out of me. I have more pictures but I don't want to post them right now. Link even disappeared once. I could only see his shadow...
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2006, 02:36:36 pm »
  • Am i here or am i not?...
i com to this topic... ...thank??s gud!?!

cant read of the luck ive got to come here to download this... ...demo!
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2006, 06:30:35 pm »

Ah, crap. This happening to anyone else?
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say it looks like an issue with your graphics card, cb43569. There were no problems on the cards I've tested it with (64MB up to 512MB) but, to the best of my knowledge, they were all ATI Radeon. I used to have an Nvidia 256MB card and had some problems with Game Maker. I suspected it was a driver problem, but I upgraded before ever sorting it out... Have you got the latest drivers? You can get them here.
If it's not the drivers, I don't know what I can do about it, mate...  :(

But thanks for your kind words. And thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement - it's appreciated. I took a break from the project last week (we don't get much sunshine in the UK so we have to make the most of it!) but picked up where I left off yesterday. Those whose PMs I haven't replied to yet - sorry, I'll get round to it shortly.  ;D

Work has started on building the first dungeon:

As you can see it's a lava dungeon. Got the bones of 10 rooms built so far, the rest are sketched out on paper. The idea behind this dungeon is that it's a temple being dug up by a bunch of archaeologist-types: conveyor belts and pulleys move excavated rock round the temple which Link can hitch a ride on, using the dungeon's signature item - the boomerang - to stop/start, change direction etc. The dig has woken the temple's guardian which is terrorising the local inhabitants, so it's up to Link to venture inside, rescue the trapped archaeologists and slay the monster. So, business as usual.

Another update soon...

Cheers,

KM

Edit:
I've put the demo on a second host as some people seem to be having trouble downloading it...
Mirror 1
Mirror 2
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 10:28:10 am by King Mob »
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2006, 07:44:40 pm »

Ah, crap. This happening to anyone else?
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say it looks like an issue with your graphics card, cb43569. There were no problems on the cards I've tested it with (64MB up to 512MB) but, to the best of my knowledge, they were all ATI Radeon. I used to have an Nvidia 256MB card and had some problems with Game Maker. I suspected it was a driver problem, but I upgraded before ever sorting it out... Have you got the latest drivers? You can get them here.
If it's not the drivers, I don't know what I can do about it, mate...  :(

I don't think it's the drivers, since I've got the latest that work with my PC. I have a suspicion it's my processor speed, but I don't think so. I've never had any other problems with GameMaker.
The first dungeon looks great, good luck with it!
Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer (26/6/2...
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2006, 07:07:06 pm »
  • Loopier than a bowl of Cheerios
Woah your screenshots are amazing! can't wait for a more comprehensive demo and the final product, of course.

thenoblesheep

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2006, 11:38:45 pm »
 This game looks great, I am quite fond of the style. Your first dungeon idea sounds quite original, and looks good so far. Your tech demo ran fine on my computer and I did not encounter the glitch in question. So will the next demo feature some of the first dungeon?
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2006, 11:57:19 pm »
  • srsly, <3
all i can say is wow. this has to be one os the smoothest demos i have played in a while.
i found no problems with it, and am looking forward to see more of this!
good luck, and keep it up
avvy made by: TheBlackMarket
  • my site

A Storm in the Desert

Eternal Triangle
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2006, 04:17:34 pm »
  • Wear the Deku Sprout Smile :]
This is looking VERY sweet. I just played the tech demo, and am most impressed by your work! It's probably just my computer's specs, but Link seemed slow. I'm fairly sure that it's my computer that's slow.
Surely you can do it!
Believe in your strengths...Believe...

-Happy Mask Salesman
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2006, 05:02:49 pm »
I think this is one of the most professionally done Zelda games I've ever seen. Perfect collision, movement is top notch, the effects, tiling, graphics, sounds (though a few are lacking)...are all amazing. The textbox looked really cool. You now have me hooked as a fan of a fantastic game. Keep up the good work. I recommend to anyone who wants to make a fan game to look at this and see how it should be done.

To add, I was wondering if I could have the rain background that you used. I've been looking all over for one so smooth, but I only found one with four frames. (Yours looks incredibly smooth).

Also, if there are any custom sprites, did you sprite them?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 08:18:49 pm by Scooternew »
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2006, 05:29:35 pm »
This game looks great, I am quite fond of the style. Your first dungeon idea sounds quite original, and looks good so far. Your tech demo ran fine on my computer and I did not encounter the glitch in question. So will the next demo feature some of the first dungeon?
Yeah, it will. The next demo will be a big one. Remember how long it took to get to the Dragon Roost dungeon in WW? If I don't change the plot I've got written, there's about as much storytelling and build-up as that. :P This will be the first dungeon and the demo will end once you've defeated the boss. I don't intend releasing another demo after that, just the final product. But, hey, that could all change...

I think this is one of the most professionally done Zelda games I've ever seen. Perfect collision, movement is top notch, the effects, tiling, graphics, sounds (though a few are lacking)...are all amazing. The textbox looked really cool. You now have me hooked as a fan of a fantastic game. Keep up the good work. I recommend to anyone who wants to make a fan game to look at this and see how it should be done.

To add, I was wondering if I could have the rain background that you used. I've been looking all over for one so smooth, but I only found one with four frames. (Yours looks incredibly smooth).

Also, if there are any custom sprites, did you sprite them?
Actually, the rain isn't an background. Each raindrop is an individual object. I was never satisfied with using an overlay, didn't look good enough to me. So I went down this route, with each raindrop having a random (to a point) lifespan, at the end of which it would turn into a splashing object, destroy itself and create another one. I assumed that using that many objects in addition to everything else in the game field might slow the game down, but whaddya know? Worked perfectly. Could be done with particles too, I guess...

Anyway, thanks, man! And yeah, I'm doing all my own custom spriting and tiling.
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2006, 07:32:41 pm »
Yes, it can be done with particles too. I see you're using Game Maker, especially because of the loading screen. That many objects shouldn't cause lag as long as they are destroyed. Anyway, are those the LTTP sprites or your own? Either way, if it's raining, I suggest you have some kind of either A). fog overlay or simplay draw a rectangle over the screen with an image alpha of 0.5 or so to give the impression of darkness. Lightning would help too.

I guess I enjoyed this so much because it's so rare to see a game with so much attention to detail. I can't stand games sloppily thrown together, especially fan games, where almost all graphics and sounds are provided for you. Especially collision - collision is something I've got down to the nitty gritty perfection in my game (no, not trying to brag lol) and yours seems really good to. I'm just glad to see someone who holds their game development to the same standards as I (Yes, I'd ask you to help sprite for my game, but I'm not going to annoy the hell out of you right now).

The worst part of this game is that my game has recurrent themes of sleep. And I don't want to be caught copying.

And I'm just wondering, which sprites were custom in your demo?

ZaC-UK

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2006, 09:58:25 pm »
Awsome game, but Minish Cap does NOT fit horseback riding, It looks wayyy to bright and colourful for a battle like that to take place. Maybe it should be darker, But ONLY on the overworld. In villages etc it should be normal colours. Just add a transparent layer on top of the overworld and it could look better. Experiment with things! Otherwise i look forward to it!!
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2006, 01:55:19 am »
  • When you express in one word, “the anus”
The quality of the graphics is really good, especially that banner in your sig. Good Job

Hoodlum4hire

Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2006, 04:02:44 am »
I actually don't like MC Graphics, but I will definately play/beat this game.

I've never been particularly fond of MC graphics either but youve done a great job on the custom stuff, well done! ;)
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2006, 05:37:13 pm »
Awsome game, but Minish Cap does NOT fit horseback riding, It looks wayyy to bright and colourful for a battle like that to take place. Maybe it should be darker, But ONLY on the overworld. In villages etc it should be normal colours. Just add a transparent layer on top of the overworld and it could look better. Experiment with things! Otherwise i look forward to it!!
Nah, I'm not trying to recreate the look of Twilight Princess, so I don't think it needs making any darker. The idea behind the game - entering people's nightmares - gives it the scope to be 'dark' (most over-used adjective in the English language?) but I'm more interested in capturing the creepy/quirky mix of Majora's Mask. I think that game proved you could do 'dark' without using clich??s, and you could still retain the series' barking mad sense of humour. So I'm not going to worry about it looking too cartoony. It's kinda what I'm aiming for.

I guess I enjoyed this so much because it's so rare to see a game with so much attention to detail. I can't stand games sloppily thrown together, especially fan games, where almost all graphics and sounds are provided for you. Especially collision - collision is something I've got down to the nitty gritty perfection in my game (no, not trying to brag lol) and yours seems really good to. I'm just glad to see someone who holds their game development to the same standards as I (Yes, I'd ask you to help sprite for my game, but I'm not going to annoy the hell out of you right now).

The worst part of this game is that my game has recurrent themes of sleep. And I don't want to be caught copying.

And I'm just wondering, which sprites were custom in your demo?
Thanks. I've played the demo of your project. Very slick. Looks promising. The topic doesn't give much away though - do you want to PM me the outline of your story so we can see if we could avoid any similarities? Not that I'm worried about copying, but it might be good for both of us to know we're taking the whole 'sleeping' theme in different directions...  ;)
As for the sprites, there are actually very few custom graphics in the demo itself - couple of subtle edits, but nothing I would claim as mine. So just the items icons, I think... All the custom stuff is under wraps for now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 52   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 78 queries.