Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dexter  (Read 1191 times)

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
Dexter
« on: February 16, 2008, 09:11:51 am »
  • With a Capital G
DEXTER

Does anyone else besides Racoon Boy watch or enjoy this show?  My brother got me into it over the holidays and I've just blazed through all 24 episodes (two seasons, 3rd in the works).

Okay, for the unfamiliar, I'll paint the picture. Dexter is a likeable, borderline-genius, 30-something guy who works as a forensics investigator and blood spatter analyst for a police department homicide unit. Dexter is also a serial killer. For reasons that would serve as minor spoilers to the 2nd season if I wrote them, he was basically left emotionless as a child and raised by his adoptive cop father to always blend in, fake social interaction, and follow a code of taking out those who deserve it. Essentially, a somewhat-inadvertently yet well-trained serial killer who only kills other killers.

So each episode consists of Dexter hunting and brutally killing freed murderers and other "bad guys", hiding his own tracks from the PD, dealing with co-workers who have it in for him, faking and bumbling his way through relationships, developing and struggling with feelings and his personal identity, and following the season-long story arcs.

The Dexter character also narrates parts of the shows, in the sense that you hear what he's thinking, and it gets really witty and twisted. Sometimes he just doesn't have a clue, other times he's pondering who the hell he is and why, or how he's supposed to manage his priorities, and sometimes he just plain mind-rapes people.

Highly recommended. It's on Showtime which I believe is a specialty channel in the U.S., but yay for torrents. It's also got the best intro sequence to any show I can think of. The show was based on a novel, so the first season has some story elements that are cool when you see them but might seem a bit sappy in retrospect - I personally would have saved that story arc for the second or third season.
Re: Dexter
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:42:29 am »
I watched a little of Season 1, and watched around the last few episodes of Season 2, Can't wait for Season 3

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:49:26 am »
  • With a Capital G
I watched a little of Season 1, and watched around the last few episodes of Season 2, Can't wait for Season 3

That's exactly what I did before watching the entire series in order.
Then I realised there were parts in the episodes I first saw that didn't make sense without knowing the continuity.
But as far as watching episodes as stand-alones, it works better than, say, Arrested Development, or TNA iMPACT. :P
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 09:52:36 am »
But as far as watching episodes as stand-alones, it works better than, say, Arrested Development, or TNA iMPACT. :P

Using both Arrested Development and pro-wrestling in the same sentence...this is unheard of.  As far as the  actual topic goes, I read the first book in the series but haven't watched the show.  I loved the book though and have heard lots of good things about the adaptation.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 09:58:10 am »
  • With a Capital G
I read the first book in the series but haven't watched the show.  I loved the book though and have heard lots of good things about the adaptation.

Yeah, I'd say they nailed it. The main difference is that Deb is not nearly as smart in the show, but it makes for a fun character.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 10:13:16 am »
How did you know I watched the show. >_>

Anyway, yeah, I love it. I just saw the 1st season finale on Thursday, and it was probably the best episode I've seen. It was a perfect finale that felt like an ending to a story, while still leaving some possibilities for season 2 (which I haven't seen, as it starts this coming Thursday in Australia.

Dexter is pretty much one of the best characters in any show ever.

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 4468-1342-3783

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 09:00:42 am »
  • With a Capital G
How did you know I watched the show. >_>

'Did a search first to see if anyone made this topic already. :P

alirazaq

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 12:51:54 pm »
It's pretty cool, my friends watch it. My brother showed me it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 50 queries.

anything