Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: About 100 C++ classes later..  (Read 3988 times)

About 100 C++ classes later..
« on: April 20, 2008, 12:31:55 pm »

Hooray for doing !@#$% by hand!
Re: About 100 C++ classes later..
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 04:04:10 pm »
:D. Pure awesomeness. Could use better graphics though :P.

Was this that project you were asking me for help on yesterday?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 04:56:22 pm »
  • :'O
Congratulations, now try making it without the XP window ;D
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »
Neat, I've been working through some C/C++ direct X things myself for the first time. Good job!  :D
Intel P4 3.2 GHZ
2.5GB SDRAM DDR400
350GB SATA
ATI RADEON HD 2600PRO 512MB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z
Windows XP SP2

Current Projects: None.
- Trask
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 05:21:22 pm »
Congratulations, now try making it without the XP window ;D
Obviously you don't understand the point of what he's doing >.> ... Either that, or thats a bad joke.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 08:21:18 am »
:D. Pure awesomeness. Could use better graphics though :P.

Was this that project you were asking me for help on yesterday?
yeah, and i just randomly made those graphics in photoshop ;p, if i do end up using this to make a game it'll probably be custom job for each one.

Neat, I've been working through some C/C++ direct X things myself for the first time. Good job!  :D
thanks, I'm using opengl to build this one in particular.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 12:08:37 pm »
I'm lost. Is it the custom windows stuff?

I am just not nerdy enough to see beyond the box.
the a o d c
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 03:45:03 pm »
It's everything. That which is inside the box, including the stuff you can't see, such as threading, I/O, scene graphing, event handling etc.
Actually, just counting them now, there's actually 55.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »
yea its hard to fathom all the hard work you gotta put into things just to make a simple, but fully functional-yet expandable and reusable UI system
alot of work indeed
even the hardened coders forget sometimes, but we all have it written already, by ourselves, ages ago
all we have to do is tinker with it a little to make it fit for [current project] or just rewrite some of it because old code tends to be a little crappy
so, keep at it :P

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 04:15:24 pm »
  • If not now, when?
Congratulations :)
It's always nice to see hard work pay off, no matter how little you may have to show for it.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:25:14 pm »
  • Life is Terminal, =)
Well, if thats the sort of dedication it takes, I think im in for a long ride.

I can sorta do stuff with straight code, but I really have no clue on most of it.
  • The Void
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 09:34:03 pm »
It's everything. That which is inside the box, including the stuff you can't see, such as threading, I/O, scene graphing, event handling etc.

55 what? Also, what are you doing with threading and scene graphs in what looks like a dialog test?

Just curious. :)
  • My Myspace?
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 09:37:41 pm »

55 what? Also, what are you doing with threading and scene graphs in what looks like a dialog test?

Just curious. :)

55 classes.

I assume his threading and scene graphs are all part of the back end, its an entire engine he's writing not just a UI system :P.
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 11:24:10 pm »
  • Fear my Blades
Eh, sorry for reviving a week old topic, but this is the same thing discussed in this tutorial, right?  I'm planning on trying to seriously learn C++, and it seems like a decent project for me to try.  I already know some basics, but I like to do stuff that's challenging anyway.  I'm more likely to run into problems I'll have to solve myself that way, and I just learn better like that.

I'd guess the threading is at least partly for the mouse so if the rest of the program is running slowly it still feels responsive, and the scene graphs are used to keep sub-windows and controls attached to their parent windows, and keep them all organized, right?  Anyway, any tips or insight you can give me would be nice.

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 05:35:41 pm »
Eh, sorry for reviving a week old topic, but this is the same thing discussed in this tutorial, right?  I'm planning on trying to seriously learn C++, and it seems like a decent project for me to try.  I already know some basics, but I like to do stuff that's challenging anyway.  I'm more likely to run into problems I'll have to solve myself that way, and I just learn better like that.

I'd guess the threading is at least partly for the mouse so if the rest of the program is running slowly it still feels responsive, and the scene graphs are used to keep sub-windows and controls attached to their parent windows, and keep them all organized, right?  Anyway, any tips or insight you can give me would be nice.

I'd think it's 'more or less for learning purposes. I've run mouse input on the same thread as everything else in fairly complex apps, and had no issues with it. I really don't see a scene graph being that useful out side of 3D work. For a GUI, a window/control hierarchy could easily be stored in a tree, in my opinion.
  • My Myspace?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 07:39:34 pm »
Sorta, that tutorial seems to contain a lot of similar information in the way I've approached things, of course I'm designing a whole engine and not just a GUI.
I thread all my game's logic as rendering is fairly resource intensive to insure things are still travelling along you could say, the difference I presume will be more notable on those who lack the capabilities to render things sustainably.

The best advice I could probably give would be to plan it out carefully, decide on what is necessary for each component etc. I have somewhat failed to do that, and so as a result it's made things a little more difficult.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 11:00:50 pm »
The best advice I could probably give would be to plan it out carefully, decide on what is necessary for each component etc. I have somewhat failed to do that, and so as a result it's made things a little more difficult.

Best. Advice. Ever.

There is no such thing as too much planning. UML diagrams, map things out. Make it clear what you plan on doing before trying to conquer the world! :)
  • My Myspace?
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 03:24:56 pm »

Here's another screenshot, I've been spending most of my weekend on lighting, loading models and also added support for jpg textures (using libjpeg).

To get this to work I've had to implement a few new concepts:
Materials (How the surface reacts to light and the texture)
Meshes, Faces, Vertices (All those things you normally associate with this kind of stuff)
3dsLoader (to load/render the model)
Lighting

I also had to extend my Vector class to perform vector calculations (so I could calculate the surface/vertex normals) and extend my image class so i could read jpgs.

I've been doing some of this stuff in class already, but I've been finding it a little difficult, so I find this to be a nice way to get my head around it.

(Note: I didn't create this model, I just used it for testing purposes to demonstrate that my loader was working properly)
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 06:46:06 pm »
Fun!

It's always exciting to see something after putting work into it. I'm curious though, how robust are your matrix/vector classes?
  • My Myspace?
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 07:17:38 pm »
Light on functionality, but they get the job done :P
I've been spending the day adding Anti-Aliasing and further implementing things like exceptions (previously my code would end up crashing outright whenever it wasn't able to load a resource, now it just ignores it) and resource loading (which is done in a separate thread) which has been an interesting experience.  It's nice to see things just add themselves to the scene once they've finished loading, I use a ticketing system which uses a call back mechanism.

There's a sample of how the AAing turned out (minus the textures, as I'm having a few issues with those atm).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:19:27 pm by Windy »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 77 queries.

anything