Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 463004 times)

Re: Alttp - Horn of Balance [demo 15]
« Reply #740 on: February 10, 2013, 05:30:27 pm »
Not too much progress this week. Just another new enemy.

0.15.08 (10 feb 2013)
+ Added new enemy: Spiked Roll (horizontal / vertical)
« Reply #741 on: February 15, 2013, 09:19:20 pm »
Here is another progress listing and screenshot. I'm still a little absent minded due to work, but maybe I'll get some more work done in the weekend.
For those that care: I applied for division head recently, but (due to circumstances out of my control) might just as well get a temporary downgrade from coordinator back to programmer/tester in the near future... Great... :-\

0.15.09 (15 feb 2013)
+ Added enemy variation: Beamos can now be switch on and off on a whimp
+ Finished programming beamos puzzle/trap in room 23 of dungeon 2
+ Fixed issue: item gets equipped twice after opening a chest
+ Fixed issue: equipped items no longer get refreshed if you get un upgrade from a chest
« Reply #742 on: February 17, 2013, 07:31:32 pm »
Here is some more progress done and another screenshot.

0.15.10 (16 feb 2013)
+ Added third pillar puzzle (room) to dungeon2
+ Designed another room for dungeon2

0.15.11 (17 feb 2013)
+ Fixed error: destroying flying tiles (with your body) while running throws an error
+ Combined locked doors into a single object
+ Simplified conditional door objects
+ Tweaked dungeon 2 pillar puzzles to stay permanently solved
+ Added in another huge staircase like at the start of dungeon 1
+ Finished another room in dungeon 2
« Reply #743 on: February 19, 2013, 03:11:10 pm »
Exactly how big are you trying to make this dungeon?
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #744 on: February 19, 2013, 05:21:26 pm »
Uuhm. Dungeon1 had 44 rooms. Dungeon2 wil have about 50 rooms. I honestly intented to make the second one smaller then the first one, but I keep have more idea's for rooms.

What do you all think? Bigger is better or Less is more? I'm curious.

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #745 on: February 20, 2013, 11:23:47 am »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
That depends entirely on what you put inside the dungeons. You can make less more, or vice versa.
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0
« Reply #746 on: February 21, 2013, 01:59:52 pm »
Agreed.
Let me rephrase the question a little. Would you, as players, prefer a small dungeon with a few puzzles or a larger one with also some "pauses" designed inbetween the action and/or puzzles?
« Reply #747 on: February 24, 2013, 06:00:57 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Personally, I like fairly short dungeons in Zelda games, but lots of them. This is because I usually can't play for too long at one time, not like I used to when I was younger and had loads of free time on my hands. When I save and start the game up again, I'm at the entrance to the dungeon (in most Zelda games, this is the case), so that usually means that I have to go through a few rooms to get back to where I left off. Furthermore, if the dungeon is too big it might be a little hard to remember where I was last, though I doubt you'll make a dungeon massive enough for that to be much of a problem.

A good thing to do is to ALWAYS make the boss room fairly close/quick to access from the dungeon entrance, no matter how small or large a dungeon is (unless it's some kind of mini dungeon). That is especially important if you won't have quick saving or some way to save exactly where you left off. Another thing you might notice about Zelda games is that they tend to make previously ventured dungeon rooms a lot easier/quicker to navigate after you get the dungeon item, which is a neat little dungeon design trick to make backtracking not seem so boring or tedious to the player, but that's just part of good dungeon design, and it only works if you plan to follow the same system (i.e. getting an item mid-way through that is required to reach the end of the dungeon and will most-likely be required on the boss to win); if you don't design a dungeon to work like that then it obviously doesn't work, but you can do it on a much smaller scale with keys unlocking doors, or buttons that open up previously locked doors to open up shortcuts - stuff like that.

If you design a dungeon well using tricks like those, then you can have a much larger dungeon and still make people like me fairly happy as well as people that love really lengthy dungeons. Though I do still stand by shorter dungeons, but lots of them. ;)

-

Btw, I totally forgot about testing your demo until now. Do you still need any help testing? The latest I have is the "Zelda 0.14.13" test demo and I see you now have a demo 15 out, so I think I got a little out of the loop from being gone, but I'm healed up a lot now and I'm active again so I can help out a bit if needed. In addition to testing, I can easily record high quality and smooth gameplay. I could even put together a simple trailer if you ever need it. Or, if you don't have your own good recording software and you are looking to purchase a good one, then you can get Bandicam, which is what I use to record. There is another good one called PlayClaw, and it may even be better for you if you want all that third-party stuff and the various overlays. Both of those programs are far superior to Fraps, and all 3 are just under $40.

Guess I could've sent that last part as a PM, but I was already posting a reply... guess I'm a little lazy atm. :P
  • My Music
« Reply #748 on: February 24, 2013, 08:19:42 am »
Yes please! XD I'd love to get some help again. Both with testing and creation a trailer. Would you also be willing to brainstorm a little on good dungeon design (concerning both dungeon 1 and 2)? I haven't had anyone to bounce my ideas of in a while now so I'm not entirely sure the dungeons are all that they could be.

I'll wrap up my current version to present a private demo sometime later today.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:28:18 am by Martijn dh »
« Reply #749 on: February 24, 2013, 08:43:42 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Yes please! XD I'd love to get some help again. Both with testing and creation a trailer. Would you also be willing to brainstorm a little on good dungeon design (concerning both dungeon 1 and 2)? I haven't had anyone to bounce my ideas of in a while now so I'm not entirely sure the dungeons are all that they could be.

I'll wrap up my current version to present a private demo sometime later today.

Sounds good. I can test some and I can make a trailer, but I'm not sure I can help much with the dungeons besides saying what I already pointed out in my previous post, but I'll see what I can do when I play the demo and check things out a bit.
  • My Music
« Reply #750 on: March 03, 2013, 04:03:25 pm »
Another progress report:

0.15.12 (21 feb 2013)
+ Finished masking two more rooms for dungeon 2
+ Added hitswitch that only reacts to arrows

0.15.13 (22 feb 2013)
+ Items from above can now appear with a delay
+ Added some hidden rupees underneath a bridge and from shooting a cyclops statue
+ Tweaked pillar puzzle 3

0.15.14 (2 mrt 2013)
+ Started work on new enemy: Tektite
+ Added new enemy: Deadrock
+ Started work on new enemy: Octorok

0.15.15 (3 mrt 2013)
+ Finished new enemy: Octorok
+ Added new enemy: Slarok
+ Tweaked chase routine soldiers + hardhat beetles
+ Improved the movement efficiency of enemy projectiles some more
« Reply #751 on: March 10, 2013, 10:33:07 pm »
Time for the weekly update.

Lately I've been adding all kinds of new enemies from the original, more or less because I can. Well, this weekend I thought up a purpose for these out of place creatures: a hidden bonus dungeon (consisting of 9 rooms and without a boss). It's supposed to be a lot harder then the regular dungeons, but in return you gain the best items in the game (like the silver bow & arrows and the master sword). I'll link it to the overworld soon. Anybody feel like playtesting when that's done?

Ooh and I finally fixed all (known) surface errors that occured when pressing CTRL+ALT_DEL. 8)

--------------------------------------

0.15.16 (9  mrt 2013)
+ Fixed graphical glitch in the HUD after CTRL+ALT+DEL key combination
+ Finally managed to get rid of those pesky surface errors (in regards to ground surfaces) after pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL

0.15.17 (10 mrt 2013)
+ Adjusted AI Wizzrobe
+ Adjusted AI Large spiked block (chasing type)
+ Added "The gauntlet" mini dungeon (9 rooms)
« Reply #752 on: March 16, 2013, 08:06:50 pm »
Hello all. Well, today has been an exceptionally productive day. FrozenFire did a "Let's Play" on my game yesterday (and found a bunch of issues with it) and I've working hard on analysing it and tweaking my game where needed. The results thus far can be read below.

No screenshots or video today. Maybe tommorrow.

0.15.18 (11 mrt 2013)
+ Added conditional doors to gauntlet dungeon
+ Broke up the gauntlet dungeon into two gamemaker rooms

0.15.19 (14 mrt 2013)
+ Fixed graphical issue in (some) warp transitions
+ Fixed graphical issue with soldier starting frames
+ Fixed hud issues with redetermining equipped items if no items are equipped yet
+ Fixed character collisions with fireballs while having the default shield equipped

0.15.20 (15 mrt 2013)
+ Fixed glitches with locked doors
+ Fixed hud issues with redetermining equipped items while dying
+ Changed contents for all green chests

0.15.21 (16 mrt 2013)
+ Tweaked dungeon 1 difficulty through altered enemy placement / numbers
+ Tweaked enemy stats: Stalfos headless, Stalfos floating head, Stalfos Archer
+ The room with the three movable small soldier statues in dungeon 1 now has the statues locked in place. They were only ever implemented as a red haring.
+ Removed some rupees from dungeon 1, because it was too easy to get lots currency
+ Changed the workings of the lower left and lower right doors in the master chest room of dungeon 1. You now have a permanent shortcut to this room from the lower part in the room to its right.
+ The creation positioning of magic from the rods has been altered.
+ Special chests are now displayed as green blocks on your dungeon map, rather then the regular yellow. This way players know what chest are and are not needed to progress through an area.
+ Tweaked text when lighting the first torch in dungeon 1
+ Fixed glitch: your character can no longer keep walking during the beginning of a scene unless explicitly stated otherwise.
+ Altered the chest contents of special chests in dungeon 1 some more
+ Fixed outside scene after dungeon1, along with the transition into the credits
+ Fixed slowdown when destroying multible containers in specific rooms in the desert dungeon
+ Added breakable wall to gauntlet dungeon
+ Adjusted the starting positioning of thrown boomerang
+ Adjusted the starting positioning of magic created by the various rods
+ Once you clear a room with just flying tiles in it the tiles now stay destroyed till you exit the dungeon. This goes for both dungeon 1 and 2.
« Reply #753 on: March 20, 2013, 01:50:22 am »
Man, you are beyond human, Martijn dh. Do you have a team behind you or are you doing all this yourself?
Games that I support:

« Reply #754 on: March 20, 2013, 02:04:53 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
+ The room with the three movable small soldier statues in dungeon 1 now has the statues locked in place. They were only ever implemented as a red haring.

And anyone who could see my LP would laugh when reading this, ha ha. On that note: I should be doing another LP in a couple of weeks or so, and hopefully it won't be a fail so I can release it as public instead of keeping it private between Martijn and I. :P

Man, you are beyond human, Martijn dh. Do you have a team behind you or are you doing all this yourself?

Martijn is one of the very few people I know who is really efficient and committed. I really wish I was more like him in that regard. As far as I know, he has been doing almost everything himself. In the past, I have given him a very small bit of sprite work and he has had a bit of testing done by various people. Besides that, I think he's done most of it himself. Of course he's also gotten help by listening to the suggestions made by the ZFGC community.
  • My Music
« Reply #755 on: March 20, 2013, 05:50:16 pm »
He deffinately is the most committed one of all of us here. None of the others here ( including myself ) show this much progress all of the time. Its hard to keep on going all the time, to keep inspired to do more and not to let other fun things take most of that little spare time there is for this kind of things.
« Reply #756 on: March 22, 2013, 02:02:03 am »
    :'( Thanks, guys. That really answered everything.

* blows on a tissue *

Now it is time to get serious.
    • What is the inspiration behind the gauntlet dungeon?
    • Will we see any more classic Legend of Zelda bad guys and good guys?
Games that I support:

« Reply #757 on: March 22, 2013, 06:00:49 pm »

Nope, no team. FrozenFire send me a Let's Play last friday and that got me all fired up to better my game. Just two feedback issues left from that btw. They require quite a bit more effort then the rest, but I'll try to get them done this weekend as well.

Now it is time to get serious.
    • What is the inspiration behind the gauntlet dungeon?
    • Will we see any more classic Legend of Zelda bad guys and good guys?

• Recently I've added a bunch off enemies to the game just for the fun of it. However, they don't really belong in the second or the overworld so I needed a new area for them. I eventually came up with the idea of a secret mini-dungeon to provide an additional challenge.
  • You're talking about the re-use of more enemy and character sprites?

arceusrules

Update stalker
« Reply #758 on: March 23, 2013, 02:11:10 pm »
  • You can find me on Deviantart to! :D
Im surprised i havent seen this before O.O
I joined for the sake of an engine i saw on the forum, it got me quite excited to see it in use! I had found this forum some while before that, but it is only now that i see the pure awesomeness of it! XD

I cant wait to see some fanmade zelda games, nevertheless support the ones who program them :D I sure can cheer people up!

My profile picture is Tonae, a character from my fanfic. She is a sheikah, who are teamed up with Link against her will to restore the balance of time. She is named after my aunts username in Guildwars 2. They have a guild called Hellfire bunnies.

Heres my Deviantart: http://arceusrules98.deviantart.com/

Wiki page:http://wiki.zfgc.com/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Time_Collapse
« Reply #759 on: March 24, 2013, 09:45:05 pm »
Some of the progress made this week.

0.15.22 (17 mrt 2013)
+ Items will once again dissappear in real time after you exit the room.
+ Tweaked floor button in dungeon 1 to (de)activate cannonball spawning at the start of the dungeon.
+ Tweaked hinttext in dungeon 1 in the cannonball puzzle room
+ Added hinttext in dungeon 1 near the weakened floor puzzle
+ Increased the volume of the crumble effect used to point out fragile floors
+ Lowered volume health alarm
+ Adjusted Stalfos movement AI

0.15.23 (24 mrt 2013)
+ Containers no longer spawn their contents more then once unless you die or exit the area/dungeon
+ A little something something for FrozenFire concerning archers
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 78 queries.

anything