Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Underwater diving  (Read 8705 times)

Underwater diving
« on: July 24, 2015, 03:48:59 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I mentioned this earlier in another post where link would be able to dive underwater to get items and stuff (And maybe even a temple? Like the water temple from TP?) I put a small mockup of how it might look. The top part has the most vegetation since the sun is hitting most of it. But, as you get deeper down into the ocean floor, there will be no plant life, just dead sand. And you might even find a huge abyss waiting for you down there. I put a small one in the mock up, but can you imagine swimming on top of a big one? Just pure darkness waiting for you bellow your feet, and perhaps if you stay too long ontop of the abyss, some king of sea creature (Big Octo?) comes out and eats you? Or maybe just some whirlpool suck you down to the depths or a tentacle gets you and drags you down. Basically telling the player NOT to go there again. What do you think?
Re: Underwater diving
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 07:56:31 pm »
  • You can have my Heart! I have no use for it.
Maybe some kind of overlay(light blue, transparent) and/or bubbles(besides the one Link will make) to add more depth?(no pun intended)

Zelda Untitled - Demo coming soon!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 08:08:28 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Maybe some kind of overlay(light blue, transparent) and/or bubbles(besides the one Link will make) to add more depth?(no pun intended)

Yes, I was thinking the same, bubbles definitely will added as a layer and a blue/water layer as well, maybe that moves a little?

Also it would be cool to see fishes swimming around and octorocks walking on the sand, crabs, lobsters, and stuff. fish from other zelda games, like the ones from PH and WW.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 08:51:11 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
This would be pretty cool.  Do you have tiles for the other side of walls?

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:16:17 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Question: Is Link allowed to swim in 3D space? Like, up/down/left/right/in/out, similarly to the underwater segments of the Mario & Luigi series? In that case, how can the play know where he is, besides a shadow that may or may not show up due to the "depth overlay" that is being discussed above?

Just a thought to consider.

Also, an overlay filter to produce an underwater blur effect would be good for immersion (pun not intended).
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 11:21:38 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Love the tiles and idea, especially the colors. For actual map design though, I think there's gonna need to be a bit less depth though, since Link wouldn't be able to just shoot up over the layers of wall, right? I mean, this is still a 2D game so we should consider how the mechanics should work. I imagine it's gonna be like Oracle of Ages' mermaid suit or HM Dive in Pokemon sapphire/ruby, where it's basically like walking on another map, but with a different animation (swimming).

Or are we gonna have great changes in undersea elevation, but Link stays swimming at a certain elevation near the surface? So you'd see the floor drop out, see different heights below him, but he'd just swim right over. If so, we could wall in the maps with certain walls, while other walls he just ignores since he's actually near the surface you can't see. If this is the case, how will he interact with things on the seabed?

Lol, basically, same question about showing Link's relative depth as Miles, just he probably phrased it better.

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 11:40:53 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Love the tiles and idea, especially the colors. For actual map design though, I think there's gonna need to be a bit less depth though, since Link wouldn't be able to just shoot up over the layers of wall, right? I mean, this is still a 2D game so we should consider how the mechanics should work. I imagine it's gonna be like Oracle of Ages' mermaid suit or HM Dive in Pokemon sapphire/ruby, where it's basically like walking on another map, but with a different animation (swimming).

Or are we gonna have great changes in undersea elevation, but Link stays swimming at a certain elevation near the surface? So you'd see the floor drop out, see different heights below him, but he'd just swim right over. If so, we could wall in the maps with certain walls, while other walls he just ignores since he's actually near the surface you can't see. If this is the case, how will he interact with things on the seabed?

If he keep Link at the surface of the water, then could we introduce a diving mechanic similar to OoT? Like, Link can dive a certain distance, but will then come back up after a certain amount of time/distance? And he could upgrade his diving capabilities somehow, so he could dive longer/further, or even change direction while diving, etc.
Also, this lends itself to using a 'Iron Boots/Zora Tunic'-like combination well, if you choose to go in that direction.
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 12:56:58 am »
  • It's just Max.
Hmm, yeah. Which isn't that great for 2D, leading me to think we should keep things flatter?
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 09:31:22 am »
  • Just call me Brad
I was thinking it should be more like the pokemon underwater diving, he just dives near the surface but goes ontop of the abyss areas and stuff. Since it is a completely different "world" from the overworld, lets make it so it doesn´t have a shadow. With the layers on top, the player will not notice it. I mean in pokemon, it doesn´t have a shadow when he dives.

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 01:29:05 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
I've thought of another idea: Four Swords Adventures.
In FSA they have the blur effect for height differences, for example for the Floormasters. Maybe that could be considered?

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 03:15:16 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I've thought of another idea: Four Swords Adventures.
In FSA they have the blur effect for height differences, for example for the Floormasters. Maybe that could be considered?

I think for the Blur effect we should use the Blizzard overlay from FSA. It looks like it would fit the  "underwater" theme.

I found a topic where there is a hunch if the overlays there, you can choose which oone fits better. http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=38894.0

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 05:10:08 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Blizzard doesn't look quite right.

However, if we can to keep as close to TMC style as possible, we could use M&L:SS sprites. Just edit some of the background animations in this sprite sheet so that we can get the effect we need, and that should match just well enough.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 06:54:59 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Blizzard doesn't look quite right.

However, if we can to keep as close to TMC style as possible, we could use M&L:SS sprites. Just edit some of the background animations in this sprite sheet so that we can get the effect we need, and that should match just well enough.

How b´out this?

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 07:03:15 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
^^ Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe if the light-blue strands and the mid-blue ribbons were separated as two overlays, and they undulate with an offset, it'd look really watery. Just my opinion.

Underwater diving Update
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 04:50:29 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
So yesterday I made some tiles for underwater editing the existing minish cap tiles. Since we discussed the water diving mechanic, I thought of a cool way to implement  diving into the game.

In the attachment I made three ways we can make it.

1. In this case, when the player dives, the map transitions to the underwater map, but you can see the exterior areas.
2. In this case, the water is actually a transparent layer on top of the dirt tiles beneath. This could be cool and I have seen other games do it.
3. Same as 2, but instead of brown dirt, we use water colours for the dirt.

Link will need animations for swimming underwater, but that is easily managable. Also, link can stay still underwater, so you can open chests while you are swimming.

Which one do you prefer?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:21:18 pm by SpritingBrad »

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 04:41:23 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
I prefer option 1 for the "from above water" view, as it is a) familiar to those who have played Minish Cap, and b) it hides the new mechanic until it is revealed with its unlock. Also, I'm certain that players may be tempted to interpret the transparent water as shallow water, so it'd be best not to do it that way.

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 12:49:49 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I agree with Miles, option 1 would be the best way to go!  Especially considering we have some water areas mapped out already

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 72 queries.