Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you call a nerd/geek?  (Read 3785 times)

What do you call a nerd/geek?
« on: October 30, 2007, 09:45:19 am »
Well, I'm on my school computer now. People usually call me a nerd because I know much about computers to compare with them. I'm just visiting ZFGC now. But, seriously. What are the guys in the same computer class doing?

They are visiting sites like myspace and hyves to make online friends O.o

I think people who tries to make friends with online spaces are more nerd/geek than visiting a community like ZFGC.

Discuss.
  • Virtual Security

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: What do you call a nerd/geek?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 09:47:12 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
A nerd is simply defined as someone who knows a lot about a particular subject; so theres sports nerds (hey, fantasy football is nothin but D&D for jocks.), computer nerds, video game nerds, history nerds, etc...

I am quite proud of my status as a nerd :P

(BTW Watch revenge of the nerds, --- hehe Booger is a nerd, but he's a master in nastiness, making him a nerd in that subject XD)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 10:35:28 am »
Nerd - Someone who likes a certain topic more than most. They usually know more about that topic than others do. Some types of nerds are bullied for their topics of interest, like D&D or Computers or Chess.

Geek - A nerd that specifies in video games or computers. Usually a higher class than nerds.

To be honest and vain, I would classify myself as neither. I know much about computers and video games, but I also have real friends that I play football with. In other words I also have a life. >_>
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 03:29:45 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
A nerd is classically defined as what ^^^ said, but I personally think they are people who sit in the library all lunch at school watching anime by themselves with headphones on instead of talking with regular people.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 01:51:05 pm »
  • b e p i s
I consider geeks nerds that have a social life. You know, while at home they may fiddle with computers and enjoy video games, fantasy novels and similar things, but would still rather go out and party with some friends than sit in and do those things.

I personally consider myself a geek. I have struck a nice balance between a great social life and my own nerdy interests.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 02:00:58 pm »
Well as some already said, a nerd is a person who knows allot about a certain subject. So actually we are all nerds in some way...
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 12:34:32 am »
  • :D
I consider geeks nerds that have a social life. You know, while at home they may fiddle with computers and enjoy video games, fantasy novels and similar things, but would still rather go out and party with some friends than sit in and do those things.

I personally consider myself a geek. I have struck a nice balance between a great social life and my own nerdy interests.
I would name it the other way (nerds = more social, geeks = less social), but I would definitely categorize myself in your definition of geek :)
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 10:19:21 am »
  • alastair
So that basically means that people with jobs are nerds. Since they know a lot about a particular job.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 10:21:16 am by alspal »
  • alastair

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 10:22:49 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
O_o... although... the term "Geek" didnt mean squat back in the day... at least, nothing more than nerd... so I dunno how you guys are differentiating them o.o<... "Nerd" encompasses "Geek", "Dweeb", "Hot sex king", and all of those terms :p at least... it did back in the 80s :(
*goes back to watching Revenge of the Nerds*
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 04:01:39 pm »
  • [sic]
Personally, I don't give a toss either way. I don't think it makes a !@#$%'s worth of difference. Even if they called you "amazing supreme overlord," the fact is that you'd still be on ZFGC and they'd still be on MySpace. And yes, for the record, ZFGC > MySpace.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 07:03:20 pm »
I won't try to act big and say I'm not a nerd. Face it, I spend more time online than most people do in a month. That's not to say I don't have a social life, but really, I'm not an incredibly cool or popular person, so yeah.

It might also be due to the fact that I'm a jerk.
The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 08:16:21 pm »

I would name it the other way (nerds = more social, geeks = less social), but I would definitely categorize myself in your definition of geek :)

I would say, other way around. Geeks are more social. Nerds are social too, but usually with other nerds.
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 08:20:22 pm »
I think people who tries to make friends with online spaces are more nerd/geek than visiting a community like ZFGC.

But that's what everyone and their mothers are doing now. Now that's normal. Building and upgrading computers doesn't even make you too much of a nerd anymore; all those "hardcore gamers" are into it now and they sort of foul up the hobby.

I consider myself a geek, because I'm interested enough in hardware not to shun something just because it isn't top of the line, because I dabble with alternatives (whether they're operating systems, software programs, or ways of thinking) and because I have no social life (and prefer it that way).
  • Penny Arcade
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 10:10:28 pm »
In my country there's also another cathegory called CDF - I don't know if there's an English translation for that, but it stands for "iron-ass" in Portuguese. The irony would be that the person has such good marks at school that he or she would need to have an "iron-ass" to stay so much time sitting on a chair studying. <_< It's just silly - they call a person a CDF to haze them, because they envy their marks.

Don't know if nerds are the same in the U.S., but here a "nerd" is a person who gets very good marks at school.

^ In this sense, I'm much more of a nerd rather than a geek. I'm the best student of the 11th grade in my school, and I have lots of interest in mathematics and modern physics. Most of my classmates believe I spend the whole day studying, but no, I'm here XD lol. I'm good at programming because I'm very good at physics and mathematics, but in fact I don't know much about computers compared to a standard teenager.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 11:24:22 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
Nerds and Geeks I call homie :D Cause nerds and geeks gotta stick to blood. Blood.thickness >= Water.thickness! Endl;
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 07:24:05 am »
  • Silly cat!
lol mamo, "dweeb". What an awesome name. I'm so giving myself that title.

As for, 'what is a nerd/geek'? I don't really think one or the other is described as being antisocial. If someone's antisocial, then they're a loser. A nerd is a fanboy, and I'm sure we all know what this is. A geek is a person less-than-often described as "brainy". But I don't think one or the other is less likely to have friends or make friends... that depends on, well, confidence and personality and background and !@#$%.

I'd actually have to say that I am neither nerd nor geek. I have obsessions with games, but I usually keep that obsession at home. I've got mild computer-smarts, but I don't express that anywhere, even if someone asks me something about them. I'm more of a... people person. I don't know, there's a lot of people around me who have interests in a particular anime or game or comic, but they're also really social people. I guess that's what I am too.

Hoffy.
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 10:32:11 pm »

I'd actually have to say that I am neither nerd nor geek. I have obsessions with games, but I usually keep that obsession at home. I've got mild computer-smarts, but I don't express that anywhere, even if someone asks me something about them. I'm more of a... people person. I don't know, there's a lot of people around me who have interests in a particular anime or game or comic, but they're also really social people. I guess that's what I am too.
Completely agree, >_> one friend loves Neo Genesis Evangelion and he is not seen as a geek or nerd, In here those terms doesn't exist because of the diferent language, IMO a Nerd is considered a nerd because he is always talking about that no matter what.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 01:42:14 am »
I don't really differentiate between geek and nerd.

You'd never find me calling myself a geek/nerd, but more normal people would definitely classify me as one or the other. I'm not very talkative and I'm way into video games, so yeah. I do have friends at school who aren't into video games, but we really don't do much outside of school.

Seriously, people are way too social. I like being in control of my time, and that control is pretty much gone when you're constantly with other people. One of my school friends once said she'd go crazy if she was alone for more than five minutes. For me, being alone is a great way to actually stop and think about stuff (I tend to like thinking), and I really get physically tired if I'm around people too long.

So excuse me if I don't need as much human interaction as other people. That doesn't mean I "have no life."

I think I should stop before I get ranty and off-topic. XP
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 01:45:47 am by Hylian Lemon »
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 06:58:03 pm »
  • Oh.
You.
Hm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 72 queries.