Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [WIP] Zelda Online  (Read 5309 times)

Noone

[WIP] Zelda Online
« on: August 13, 2008, 07:32:37 am »
The MFGG community seems to really... pass by this project a bit, so here I post it on a dedicated Zelda fansite.  XD

Zelda Online
The Official Website
(Yes, the site has been down for the first time today... twice... -.-)

This project has many things planned for it. So far we have some snazzy movement, menus, and a H.U.D. (25+ variables for a HUD? :o). Yes. I know. Not that far  ::)

First of all, Melee is not THE primary combat. You can select from mage, archer, or knight. There is no main story-line, so to speak. There is just many smaller quests, and the main line of quests, the Zelda quests.

The gameplay, graphics, and audio are all from LTTP. This kinda hints towards... it being the sequel to Link to the Past. Especially with the storyline.

What I have so far is that Ganon was resurrected. The sages seal was penetrated, and it allowed the darkness of the Golden Land to flow into Hyrule, devouring much of the land to the east.

The only thing keeping Ganon from taking over the whole land of Hyrule is the blood of Princess Zelda (no surprise, eh?). There is planned to be lots of these based quests, in which you must stop Ganon from taking Zelda, or recovering her when he does. Hopefully though, it would be pretty exciting.

The Dark World, (enter able) would not turn you into a bunny. Instead, based on your Stats, you would become a Zora, Goron, or Deku. These each would have their own advantages and disadvantaged, requiring teamwork to get to many places.

The Online portion will be fun. Global, local, and private chat is in the future plans. PVP is also planned, but not going to be out for a while. (Desert Battle Arena, run by theives of course). New mails, shield, and swords are planned. Of course, we need new close affordable to beginners, so everone looks different, but I has no spriters  :'( I do know a fantastic one that would probably be willing to help.

I would link directly to my image galleries on my website... but since that's down, I'll just upload four on another host...

BTW, I love these smilies.
And no, I am not a stupid noob with absolutely no intelligence.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:48:48 am by Noone »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: [WIP] Zelda Online
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 07:35:27 am »
2 things

1- Site's down :(

2 - FREAKING AWESOME!
  • Phoenix Heart

Noone

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 07:45:35 am »
2 things

1- Site's down :(

2 - FREAKING AWESOME!

I know the sites down. It says right under the link.

And thanks!

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 07:48:57 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
looks good keep it up!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 07:51:31 am »
I must warn you that some people may !@#$% you about your work. Ignore it. I love LTTP and I would pay to play this. That's how good it is in my opinion
  • Phoenix Heart

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 07:53:21 am »
Good point, Tetiro. Ignore them and work hard. FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

Offtopic: if my post count were a year, the 80's were starting to suck. And Tetiro is almost an Oocca as of this post.

• Mirby Studios

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 07:54:38 am »
OOCCA!!! I mean, good work Noone *Tetiro walks away :D*
  • Phoenix Heart

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 07:55:55 am »
2K posts!

This game will be epic. My Epicity Meter reacts to it.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 02:08:14 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Graphics wise, this looks a lot better then a lot of the Online Zelda games being made, and you seem to know what you're doing. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.
hopefully you'll make loads and loads of quests to do. And maybe make it update-able, so you can add more?

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 02:42:47 pm »
  • Minalien
The Official Website
Probably because you're using a damn free hosting package.

We'll see.

It looks... basic, at the moment. How much network programming experience do you have, and what are you using to develop the project as a whole?
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Noone

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 10:37:39 pm »
The Official Website
Probably because you're using a damn free hosting package.

We'll see.

It looks... basic, at the moment. How much network programming experience do you have, and what are you using to develop the project as a whole?
It was actually down for maintenance to the server. Byethost is a really good host, though.
It's back up actually. Has been up all day.

"Network" as in all, or online programming.

Almost 3 years in all.

Almost no online experience -.-
But its not hard to figure out, at all.

Also, I'm using Game Maker. DON'T HATE.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 03:15:12 am »
  • Elbows deep within the borderline.
This looks better than most Zelda related online games out there, but one thing to remember is not to put to much into it all at once. Just make it where you can make updates, like new quests, armor, enemies, etc. later in production.
And the world rolls on...
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 03:37:08 am »
  • Minalien
As in developing efficient algorithms for management of players in either a Peer-to-Peer networking architecture or (as is more likely in a case of an MORPG), a server-client architecture.

Your project will be riddled with bugs, exploits, and will be inefficient, unless you get experience working with other network-reliant projects first.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Noone

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 03:54:13 am »
This looks better than most Zelda related online games out there, but one thing to remember is not to put to much into it all at once. Just make it where you can make updates, like new quests, armor, enemies, etc. later in production.
I just want to get the beginners quest, and the two quests you complete for it done first.

Which means I just gotta finish up Kakariko village, and the graveyard.

Yes, you start in Kakariko village.
Its a nice place.

Your house it a little off to the side though.

As in developing efficient algorithms for management of players in either a Peer-to-Peer networking architecture or (as is more likely in a case of an MORPG), a server-client architecture.

Your project will be riddled with bugs, exploits, and will be inefficient, unless you get experience working with other network-reliant projects first.
I'm using the server client method.

Bugs are simply faults in programming. Not just for multiplayer. And all bugs can be fixed.
Exploits... again. Fixable. As for heck protection... I have four methods to prevent most noob hackers will be blocked, while the smarter hackers can be easily banned (IP, randomly named files in the system directory and registry, etc).
Inefficient... heck no. Movement takes around 200 bytes a second... which is not much. Limit chat and item use to once a second, and 50 characters, and those shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm only dealing with the movement being a little jumpy, which should be fixed when I get delta timing in...

CrystalAngel04

Resident ZFGC female
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 04:08:37 am »
  • \\*Caution*\\ The Internets: May contain Women
Now the technical programming isn't my thing so I'll just comment on some things I noticed graphically though looking at the screen shots posted on your website and here.

1) The wood grain you have going behind text boxes as their background will really hurt the eyes with text on it (well, at least from what I saw with the server screenshot you have on your site) I suggest sticking with the basic lttp text box: it's generally simpler and will fit in better with the hud you are using.

2) The blue option buttons you have going with your hud don't fit at all. The bright blue is completely distracting and does not fit with the general hud pallet. As I said with the wood grain, try to keep it to traditional lttp text box style. It'll fit much better with everything else overall.

3) You haven't really shown any maps so I can't critique that but as a word of advice make sure they are as full and diverse as possible. It makes for appealing eye candy and to make a more rich (maybe more interactive too?) world that will bring in a larger audience.

With that said I wish you the best of luck!
  • -= Crystal Angel Creations =-
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 04:38:39 am »
  • Minalien
while the smarter hackers can be easily banned (IP, randomly named files in the system directory and registry, etc).
Well, I sincerely doubt that, with the... quality... of this project, that you'll have to worry about the more intelligent ones. However, I should let you know, IP bans? Easy to get around. Randomly named files in system directory & registry keys? Yeah, good !@#$% luck with THAT being undetected on the computer of somebody with any common sense of security.

You don't appear to be taking security as a serious issue.

Just as another question, what do you plan on doing in terms of running a server for this project? You're not exactly going to find a free host that will allow you to run it ;)

• Development Blog

Noone

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 04:55:44 am »
while the smarter hackers can be easily banned (IP, randomly named files in the system directory and registry, etc).
Well, I sincerely doubt that, with the... quality... of this project, that you'll have to worry about the more intelligent ones. However, I should let you know, IP bans? Easy to get around. Randomly named files in system directory & registry keys? Yeah, good !@#$% luck with THAT being undetected on the computer of somebody with any common sense of security.

You don't appear to be taking security as a serious issue.

Just as another question, what do you plan on doing in terms of running a server for this project? You're not exactly going to find a free host that will allow you to run it ;)

-.- IP bans help block somebody. No matter by how much, it still helps. And I sure hope you aren't deleting files in your system32 directory. Registry... I know its blockable to start adding stuff in, but for the computers that don't block it...

And sorry. I don't think I should care about people feeling secure if they are hecking my game. In that case, they don't seem to care about mine.

I am going to run the server off my laptop, and look into having some other people to help with hosting.
You think I'm dumb enough to think I can use a web hosting service for GM games?

Now the technical programming isn't my thing so I'll just comment on some things I noticed graphically though looking at the screen shots posted on your website and here.

1) The wood grain you have going behind text boxes as their background will really hurt the eyes with text on it (well, at least from what I saw with the server screenshot you have on your site) I suggest sticking with the basic lttp text box: it's generally simpler and will fit in better with the hud you are using.

2) The blue option buttons you have going with your hud don't fit at all. The bright blue is completely distracting and does not fit with the general hud pallet. As I said with the wood grain, try to keep it to traditional lttp text box style. It'll fit much better with everything else overall.

3) You haven't really shown any maps so I can't critique that but as a word of advice make sure they are as full and diverse as possible. It makes for appealing eye candy and to make a more rich (maybe more interactive too?) world that will bring in a larger audience.

With that said I wish you the best of luck!

I can take away the wood grain and make a small bar separating the servers and other information.

I do think I should take the grain out of the chat box and make it into a larger, semi-transparent chat box. But the buttons are meant to grab your attention, as you can't play the game while you are in "pause" mode (not really paused, you just can move or use an item.)

Also, by maps, do you mean the huge map of hyrule that you can view for directions, or the lay out of places?

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 05:02:32 am »
layout of places, or rooms in this instance.

• Mirby Studios

Razz

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 05:13:08 am »
Yo Noone, wassup. As I've told you before countless times, this game is looking to be supremely impressive. I can't wait. Just for anyone who's curious, I'm a beta tester for the game; and I've known Noone for quite some time. We're good friends. I joined cuz I wanted to support him, and I have a project I'm about to unveil in about a month or so.

Well, I sincerely doubt that, with the... quality... of this project,
... what? You haven't even played the game yet, you can't judge what it's like just by a bunch of screen shots. The game runs really nice for an online game, and specifically an online game made with GM (Coming from the mouth ... er, fingers, or whatever, of a person who beta tested the engine.)

Just wait until he releases the demo, then rant about the quality of the project.

Noone

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 05:16:05 am »
Just wait until he releases the demo, then rant about the quality of the project.

NONONO

Complete game.

Because a demo is a work in progress. CC for that.

Anyways. Hey
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 74 queries.