Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Indie Game Maker | Now released in the US!  (Read 2116 times)

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
Indie Game Maker | Now released in the US!
« on: June 29, 2009, 08:50:19 pm »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
-----------------------
EDIT: Ok, so this has been release in the United States now. Check it out here:
http://download.cnet.com/IG-Maker/3000-20416_4-10925245.html?tag=mncol

It costs $90, btw.
-----------------------

Go here --> http://www.actiongamemaker.com

Read everything you can, specifically the Information and Features pages.

Ok, done reading? Good. Now for the discussion.

This seems like a very interesting program. In case you didn't pick this up, it is made by Enterbrain, the people behind the RPG Maker series of programs. This one, however, isn't limited to RPGs; it's more of a general purpose development tool that is specifically geared towards things like side-scrollers, overhead action-adventure games, ect. This means it could end up being a HUGE deal here at ZFGC. We are, after all, a Zelda development community and having a program that is geared, in part, towards making action-adventure games could be a HUGE help to our development community.

Obviously, there isn't a fully translated version of the program yet and it probably won't even be release officially in English. This means that either people can 1) import the program and learn Japanese, 2) wait for a translation patch (which will come, there already is one for the trial version of the software) and then import the program or 3) wait until somebody cracks and translates the program just like they did with RPG Maker (will happen eventually).

Anyway, so I just installed the trail, and I'm messing with it now. I'll post again with my thoughts on how it works.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:26:19 pm by Raen »

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Action Game Maker | Really Interesting Devel...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 09:25:14 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Looks pretty neat. I've always liked Enterbrain for their work, regardless of the limitations behind most tools. (They don't promote their stuff as a powerful scripting language or anything)

Raen

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:29:19 pm »
Enterbrain is good at making easy to use tools that, despite limitations, can be really really versatile in the hands of an advanced user and yet are very easy for a beginner to pick up an mess with. It's nice that they made something that makes games that aren't RPGs.

So, I did mess around with the program a bit. It looks pretty neat. I mostly just looked at the example games (which were all in Japanese, so I only vaguely understood what was going on due to my limited Japanese vocabulary), but it seems like a pretty versatile tool. One of the example games was essentially a rip-off of LttP, but it showed that it can achieve that sort of gameplay really easily. Here's hoping the full version is, uh *coughcrackedandtranslatedcough* soon so this can actually be used as a useful tool.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 09:32:21 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
Oooh, shiny.  I like the RPG Maker series 'cause I can actually understand all the tools and stoof so I'll probably like this...  I hope there's some form of an english version soon.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 09:36:57 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Was it "Coming-of-Age day"? XD

Honestly, I'd probably use this to pump out some quick flash games. It's got some neat export features. I wouldn't use it on a larger scale, but still- flash games <3
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:40:54 pm by Mamoruanime »
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 09:47:50 pm »
*coughcrackedandtranslatedcough*
Heh.

I've had this for a bit. Just haven't created anything yet. Kinda confusing at this point. Yeah, you can export your game to the X360 or to Flash as well as the standard engine.
  • Pyxosoft

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 11:27:57 pm »
If u can really sell games on Xbox Live with this, I'll be using it when they release a english version/translation
  • Phoenix Heart

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 11:39:41 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
If u can really sell games on Xbox Live with this, I'll be using it when they release a english version/translation

It's over community games; and I highly doubt you'd be able to sell em having obtained a pirated english version of this tool ;p

Raen

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 11:44:49 pm »
I want to point out of couple things I've found out:

1) If you download the trial version + the English fan translation patch, be prepared to be insanely confused. The translation is far from perfect and I am having a heck of a time trying to figure this thing out.

2) From the sound of things, it looks very unlikely that Enterbrain will actually release this in the USA, unfortunately.

Raen

Re: Indie Game Maker | Now released in the US!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 11:28:19 pm »
Well, I was completely wrong. This has, in fact, been officially released in the United States! Check it out here:
http://download.cnet.com/IG-Maker/3000-20416_4-10925245.html?tag=mncol

It has been renamed to IG Maker (or Indie Game Maker) for the English release (I don't really know why). It costs $90, which is quite a hefty sum, so I won't be buying it any time soon, but I'm going to download the demo at at least check it out, since the Japanese demo just confused me. It's at least worth checking out, I suppose, although I've heard a lot of people complaining that it isn't good for anything other than Zelda-like games, which may or may not be a bad thing here.

Re: Indie Game Maker | Now released in the US!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 12:23:04 pm »
  • The king of Awesome
Please note that there's no real coding with this engine, it's not possible to make hearts like zelda, where as you can start at 3 and end up at 20 later on.  But as for the battle system that's doable.. just not the fancy hearts(which sucks...)

Construct is like this but better and has python scripting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 56 queries.

anything