Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [WIP] Link's Awakening Remastered  (Read 8682 times)

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
[WIP] Link's Awakening Remastered
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:23:30 am »

After getting lost in a brutal storm at sea, Link finds himself on the island of Koholint in the care of Marin, a harpist who Link mistakes for Zelda. When Link goes to retrieve his sword from the beach he washed up on, a mysterious owl speaks to him.

"Hoot! Hoot! So you are the lad who owns the sword...Now I understand why the monsters are starting to act so violently... A courageous lad has come to wake the Wind Fish... It is said that you cannot leave the island unless you wake the Wind Fish..."

As from the title, I am recreating Link's Awakening in SNES style. I've been working with some others on the maps (in the graphics forum) and have been putting together some basic things myself.

File select screen, for now. Still tweaking with one that fits the style more closely.

The name input screen, which is complete.

The inventory screen. Incomplete, as seen.

Just making the engine and testing some basic actions...

The ending, digitally remastered. Credit to Harim for it, he even did the sound.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
Re: [WIP] Link's Awakening Remastered
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 02:00:19 am »
  • The Mike
Looks pretty good so far. I guess you would need to get the HUD up next unless you're just worrying about maps right now.

• Zelda Eternity

Jeod

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 02:03:57 am »
I'm refining the things I already have first, but HUD will come next. I'm not so worried about maps right now because most of the section before the first dungeon is finished. The dungeon itself is another story, however. I haven't attempted to retile a dungeon before so I'm not sure how it will turn out.

My goal is to release a full demo that plays up until the end of Tail Cave. It will take the longest though, because everything after the initial coding of items, enemies, etc is a cakewalk.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 06:44:16 am »
Awesome Jeod !:D

btw, isnt it better to have the actual game as the background in your inventory? :O
If i dont remember wrong, you can still see everything around you when you open the menu in a link to the past and that would look alot better.

Jeod

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:28:49 pm »
Possibly, and I might be able to make it work.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:40:34 am »
  • The Mike
I could be a beta tester when the time comes for the demo.

• Zelda Eternity

Jeod

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 12:47:03 am »
I put the project on hold because it was open for selection in the community projects. Since the program I'm using is not Game Maker, I stopped development until the community project was decided.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:57:54 pm »
The "HUD" wording on one of the screen shots made me laugh XD

But I am wondering if by re-mastering you mean upgraded graphics, gameplay or an overall game experience.
Will there be more puzzles, story, extras or what?
What will this be for re-mastering or are you just re-making it graphically?

What are your plans?

I have seen so many "re-makes", "re-masters" and so many other types like this project I always think there is a time limit of 2 - 3 weeks or 2 - 3 months before the project author decides to give up on it.
Game Designer and Artist

My Zelda Projects Official Site:
http://unicornslair.byethost17.com

I encourage you, please rate my Project here!
  • The Legend of Zelda: Secret Depths of the Unicorns Lair

Jeod

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 10:18:31 pm »
*Points to the community project*

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 01:27:03 am »
  • The king of Awesome
Looks awesome man, keep at it!

Jeod

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 11:50:58 pm »
UPDATE: I have a projects page on a website called The Daily Click.

http://www.create-games.com/project.asp?id=1614

Gamefreak202 is the lead programmer for this project, and I am the graphic artist and co-programmer. We're getting pretty close to a technical demo, so keep up with the times and look for it in the near future!

Jeod

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 05:51:30 pm »
Psst...INTRO TRAILER! Yes, I know the backgrounds are just recolors. But it's good enough, can't expect top-notch Nintendo quality ya know :P I'm also aware of the file size. I'm working on reducing it as best as possible. But since this is just a trailer, I'm not too worried about it.

Credit:
Reo
D-Pad
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 05:55:27 pm by Jeod »

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 09:40:09 am »
Looks good!

If you DO want to improve on the visual etc. then I'd suggest three things:
-Use multible layers for the clouds, sea, surf and maybe the trees on the beach. This can create some very nice effects with not THAT much extra effort.
-The girl appears to pop up. Might just be on my computer, but it should be fixable. If not by adjusting the timing, then by having her start outside of the screen and moving in.
-Try and slightly adjust your title text. It's kinda hard to read with the grey letters so close together and against that background color. Maybe use different (colored) letters?
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 12:50:03 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Great work man. :D

I agree with Martijn though. If you want to polish this even more you should listen to him.
Looking forward to more of this. :)

Currently Listening to: Mos Def - Summertime

Jeod

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 04:14:20 pm »
Looks good!

If you DO want to improve on the visual etc. then I'd suggest three things:
-Use multible layers for the clouds, sea, surf and maybe the trees on the beach. This can create some very nice effects with not THAT much extra effort.
-The girl appears to pop up. Might just be on my computer, but it should be fixable. If not by adjusting the timing, then by having her start outside of the screen and moving in.
-Try and slightly adjust your title text. It's kinda hard to read with the grey letters so close together and against that background color. Maybe use different (colored) letters?

Thanks! I'll try to fix Marin up. I don't get what yu mean with the multiple layers bit though. We're not trying to make something like that; just a simple intro. As for the text, I'll fiddle with it. Maybe I can add a glowing yellowish border.

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 04:46:59 pm »
Okay. Not to push a point, but I'll try and explain a bit more.

When you look at your sea you'll can see waves at various depths right? Some seem close by and some look further away. You take that piece of sea and cut it into multiple layers. One with the waves close by. Another with the waves a little bit further away. It may need a little customizing later on but once you've done this you can place these layers behind one another to create the original image again. Only this time move them to the side a different speeds.

Maybe this example will clarify some more. Go sit in a car, train or some other moving object. Now look into the distance and focus your sight at one single point. You will then notice that objects further away and closer than that point seem to move at different speeds before your eyes. That's the effect you'd be recreating.

As for the beach. You could do the same with waves moving up and down. Just a tip but if you then also add a brown area under the waves you'd have the illusion of wet from retracting waves. Search for the intro of FF8 on youtube and you'll know what I mean.

It's not that much work to incorporate, despite the lengthy explanation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 70 queries.

anything