Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Request] LA sprites in ALttP style, please!  (Read 7416 times)

[Request] LA sprites in ALttP style, please!
« on: July 11, 2009, 06:49:20 pm »
Hey you all! I'm new here to zfgc. I guess I was brought aboard here while surfing the endless randomness of the Google Ocean. I saw some amazing sprites by a Terrific Tara and so, while browsing the place, I saw that it was kinda cool! So here I am! Howdy!

Well, here goes...

I want to make a sequel of Link's Awakening in the sense that Link's Awakening is the direct sequel to A Link to the Past (which would make my game sort of the third installment of this "trilogy"). Since I want it to look like an SNES game and not a GB game, I'm using mainly ALttP tilesets and sprites, etc., which is pretty much the point of my request. I saw some of Terrific Tara's sprites and I was dumbfounded! I guess my request is pretty much this:

Can anyone help me (by help I mean find or make, please :P) by turning some Link's Awakening sprites into A Link to the Past style sprites? Link for example: Grandpa Ulrira, the Grandma, Martha (the mermaid), the NPC animals from Animal Village, Kaepora Gaebora, and well, that's pretty much it for the moment!

Thanks in advance!
Re: [Request] LA sprites in ALttP style, please!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:52:01 pm »
Welcome to the site. It's a kind of haven for Zelda fangames. The lack of anti-Zelda posts alone makes it worthwhile, let alone some of the competent members.

I'd like to give you a tip when making requests, especially when you're new: show some of your progress somewhere. How far along are you engine-wise for instance? You'll get help a lot sooner if you can convince people that the sprites will be used, if not used very well. Or when you present yourself in a skillfull or determined programmer/designer/whatever. Makes sense right?

No negative undertone intended. Just honest advise.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 09:09:29 pm »
Fair enough!

My project is not done with an RPGMaker (kudos to all you guys who do work with it, though - I myself am working on my masterpiece (not of the Zelda universe, though :P) with it for several long years now). I'm actually editing a A Link to the Past rom (rom hecking - don't know if you guys here frown on it  or not :-\). I've done a lot with it and it's called Dream Scepter.

The story is basically this:
While traveling, your uncle finds you on your wreckage and takes you to Hyrule. For unexplained reasons you infiltrate the castle to get the Triforce. Zelda, sensing an evil presence in the castle, goes to stop you. You kill Zelda, then fall to the floor, unconscious. You wake up from a nightmare, yet you're in a prison cell (where the game starts). Your uncle has been keeping watch over you. He's going to go to the King to sort things out. It seems that the Nightmares from the Windfish survived in your mind. There, they saw your memories of the Triforce and decided to take it for themselves. They bring Koholint back as well as break all hell loose. You have to find a way to get to Koholint again and recover the Triforce in order to return everything to normal.

scene from the intro:

Here's a map of Hyrule:

and a map of Koholint:

So I guess now you know why I need the sprites, eh ;). They will play a most crucial role in my game.

As of the moment I'm editing some of the tools (graphix wise) and the first "dungeon". When I finish with what the menu might look like, I'll post it here! Also, I refrained from posting any other maps I made - just in case  ;).

If I can't discuss games made by editing actual roms, then I won't mention it, but I would please like to request resources nonetheless!  XD I've seen some of the work done here and it's very impressive!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:13:01 pm by Disco Peach »

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 09:26:59 pm »
Hmm, very interesting sequel...indeed, truly remarkable. We might just have to become allies, DP, because I am already working on Link's Awakening SNES (Titled Link's Awakening Remastered)

http://www.create-games.com/project.asp?id=1614

Attached is an intro demo, redone for LttP style.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 09:50:16 pm »
Niiiiiiiiiice! I hope you guys are able to finish it soon! Love to play it!  :D

Well, in my heck, you are possessed by the Nightmares. They use you to get the Triforce (killing Zelda in the process). You escape the castle (obviously) and have to find a way to get to Koholint to stop the Nightmares. So basically, Koholint works pretty much like the Dark World did in ALttP. As for the title of the game, it's because the Dream Scepter is an artifact you find that allows you to go from the dream world (Koholint) to the waking world (Hyrule). Which is why I'm trying to get some graphix for my game! That way I can make it truly feel like your playing Koholint thru A Link to the Past!

There're a lot of things I'm changing, as well. I hope to finish this baby in a couple of years!

Jeod

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 10:10:25 pm »
Hm...I'd like to take your plot and summarize it to my liking, if you don't mind.

Prologue

A few months after the events of Koholint, Link returns to Hyrule after determining that Ganon could not be revived. However, little does he know that the Nightmares have taken refuge inside him, and thus Link is tricked into retrieving the Triforce from safekeeping, in the Temple of Time (Or some other place).

After Link is in the presence of the Triforce, the Nightmares put him into a deep slumber and, using Link, demand that Koholint be restored not as a dream but as a real place. The Triforce pieces together memories from Link's mind and restores what it can of Koholint. The Nightmares have other ideas though. They craft their own versions of Koholint and fuse it with Link's memories.

And so it was that Koholint came to be, existing as a large island off the coast of Hyrule. But all is not well. While the Nightmares have their home back, and while it is no longer a part of the Wind Fish, they lust for more power. They demand one final wish from the Triforce, to be able to live on their own and not need another's mind. Together, the four Nightmares set out to conquer Hyrule, leaving Link in eternal slumber in the depths of the Temple of Time.

Present

Link wakes up in a bed. Marin is smiling down at him, and once again he mistakes her for Zelda. Confused, he asks what happened. Marin tells how Koholint is back, and how Hylian soldiers came to the island to explore and took her back to Hyrule. Link's uncle is also present here, and he tells Link what he must do.

And so the adventure begins. Link, confused and dazed, must solve the mystery of exactly what the Triforce did, and destroy the Nightmares once and for all.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 01:51:44 am »
Hmmmmm... that's pretty nice... but - since I sparked your interest, I might as well tell you the whole story (you can see my thread here: http://acmlm.no-ip.org/board/thread.php?id=4339).

Due to complications with working around the rom, I had to change the story around a bit. To summarize the story, this is what happens (in a nutshell, of course ;)):

Since Koholint is materialized thanks to the Nightmare's wish, you travel back and forth through these planes as I mentioned earlier. Koholint isn't a dream in this game. The Nightmares materialized it because they grew accustomed to it all those years. Also, they use it to have the WindFish sealed in the egg again out of spite. So basically, Koholint is analog in function to the Dark World.

The Nightmares wish to rule all realms. However, they were homesick of Koholint and wished for it to be real. Ironically, you placed Koholint in the ocean and that's the purpose of the Great Sea (the southwestern most part of the map). However, though it's a real place now, it exists in the Nightmare's plane of existence. So in order to go back and forth from Koholint, you need the Dream Scepter.

The plot is much more thicker than that, I just don't want to spoil any twists along the way. But yes! I'm glad you got the idea more or less! However, instead of guards in Koholint, you got moblins. Also, since it was "Link" who killed Zelda, the King has put a ransom on his head. So you're not safe in Hyrule, neither. I'm trying to make this tried and true. If you look at the world map I made for Koholint, you can sort of play a where's waldo of sorts with all the familiar landmarks of Koholint ;).

Thanks for your interest!

Jeod

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 02:51:18 am »
Sweet. I have a request, since it seems you mapped those minimaps of Hyrule and New Koholint. Can you do the original Koholint? I tried it out myself with a tileset of the minimap but couldn't get it right.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 02:59:40 am »
No prob, bro! I love helping out fellow ALttP and LA nuts and you seem to be one of both as well as I! I don't know what program you're using to make your game, or which chipset you're using, but if you tell me exactly what you want, than I can do it in no problem!

Jeod

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 03:01:26 am »
Awesome! Well that site I gave you earlier is where we do most of our updates, and we usually post there if we need something. I'm using GIMP for sprites, Multimedia Fusion 2 for programming, and this chipset from The Spriter's Resource for the minimap:

http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/zeldalinkpast/sheet/7647

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 03:09:50 am »
Lol... Lightworld map ripped by Kakashi. Give credit where due.

The credit goes to sephiroth3 for making Hyrule Magic - a program designed to edit a A Link to the Past SNES rom. If that person ripped anything it was from the program's part for editing the world map. If you're gonna use that chipset, you might as well use the one I made for my own game ;). It's got all the important stuff you need anyways. Observe:

This is the map chipset I had to use for both maps, so imagine all the trouble I had to go through to design this chipset - I had to use it to make both Hyrule and Koholint. If a true to life Koholint is what you want, I can make you a custom world map chipset based off of this one I made. That way I can make it more for your game, which is purely Link's Awakening. Meaning I can make a piece with the phone-booth-tree, etc etc. It's got the Catfish's Maw, the Gaponga Swamp flowers, etc (just look at my map and you'll see what I mean ;)). And OBVIOUSLY the WindFish's egg, which is absent in that chipset you linked me ;). Is all that ok?

Jeod

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 03:12:47 am »
It's all good! But like I said, I can't put it all together like I did the overworld map. It just doesn't fit right.

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 03:15:12 am »
How big do you need it to be? As big as the one I made? Cuz I can make that like in no time. Also, the Koholint World Map in LA only has one tile per place. For instance, houses occupied only one tile. If this were the case here, your world map would be extremely small. Doable, but small. Understand what I mean?

Jeod

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 03:17:17 am »
Yeah, that's another wall in my way. But unlike the other set I had, yours is actually lined up to the 8x8 grid. My plan was to simply double the dimensions of the original minimap. So it'd be 32x32 squares. I'm not sure if that fits the style though.

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 03:19:59 am »
It'll look to big if you simply take my 8x8 tiles and cuadruple (:P) them to 32x32. Well, in any case, let me know what you want. If you tell me what you need, dimensions, size, etc etc, I'd probably get it done in like a day. Flat.

Jeod

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 03:24:11 am »
No, no. There were 16 8x8 tiles for each row and column in the original minimap. That's what I mean by double.

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 03:29:23 am »
Oh ok. Well, either way, I was thinking and that size does look ok. And it is the style you're looking for. Remember, you want it ALttP style ;). If you want any landmarks in particular you think are missing from my tilesheet, let me know. If you look at my New Koholint (liked that ;)) map, you can see everything. Kanalet Castle, Yarna Desert, Animal Village, Mabe Village, Toronbo Shores, Mysterious Wood, the Face Shrine, Richard's Villa, Turtle Rock, the Eagle's Tower, Turtle Rock, Catfish's Maw, Tail Cave, the WindFish's Egg, Gaponga Swamp, Tabahl Wasteland, Ukuku Prairie, the Rapids (just to name a few :P). They're simply out of place from the original LA and placed more to my convenience parallel to Hyrule (because of the nature of my heck). But please! Let me know. I can do this for you no prob.

Jeod

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 03:30:23 am »
I'll attempt it myself first, I think. Gawd, everyone must hate us for spamming up the board by now :P

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 03:34:25 am »
Lol, it's ok. We're practically working on sister projects. If you finish your game, I'll kindly show it off to the world. That way, my "trilogy" will really be complete! All in ALttP style! So at least I don't mind if you're spamming my thread ;). You scratch my back and I scratch yours! No sweat.

If you get a chance to look at my project I'd look some feedback. You're a Zelda nut looking in the same direction I am. If anyone's opinions can help me greatly, yours is someone's that can help, as well.

Jeod

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 04:08:17 am »
Bah I still can't get it right. You'll have to do the minimap.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 78 queries.

anything