Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

How was the demo?

Great, it needs work, but keep at it!
- 8 (61.5%)
Ok for a demo, but I want to see more!
- 1 (7.7%)
Yeah, just work on it harder!
- 4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LoZ: The Chrome Ball Chronicles(Demo .01 released!)  (Read 28096 times)

Koh

LoZ: The Chrome Ball Chronicles(Demo .01 releas...
« on: July 10, 2006, 11:42:11 am »
  • Tamer Koh
Team
1.) Jackofalltrades-  In-Depth Story Develepmont/Ripper and Editor..
2.) Dlbrooks33- Idea of Game, Spriter, Beta Tester.
3.) Dark Xion- Coder.
4.) Tre Lantana- Ideas, Coder.
5.) Shanech- Beta Tester.

Well, it's finally here. ZFGC's first taste of The Legend Of Zelda: The Chrome Ball Chronicles
. I put together this demo just to try to get things rolling. There are A LOT of ideas that haven't been implemented and bugs to be ironed out yet. All graphics, resources, etc. are subject to change. Again, this was just thrown together to illustrate a game idea and by no means represents the final product.

This demo is based off of spookymagician's "pinball game engine." You'll immediately see that all I've done is added music, cosmetic changes, etc. Nothing too major on my part; I just wanted to push this project to get started. [I used unregistered GM 6.1 to edit it for those wondering.]

I had planned on taking a screenshot, but I'm having problems with my videocard currently. If someone would want to take one, it would be greatly appreciated!

Download The Legend Of Zelda: The Chrome Ball Chronicles demo 0.01
 here
 (right-click, SaveAs)

For full credit details and the game's controls, press F1 after starting the game. Also the game begins immediately once it's loaded!

Known Bugs:

The ball gets hung up on walls & sometimes the flippers
The ball is constantly bouncing. This sometimes leads to the ball bouncing back and forth in a constant loop, gradually increasing in speed
... anymore?

Known Issues:

The ball's physics could use being improved
If you get stuck, try using tilt (this will not always work and you may have to reset the ball)
There are cheap ways to rack up lots of easy points (ie: ball getting stuck in bouncing loop)
Mixed sprites/graphics
The MC Link sprite is a messy edit. I chopped off pixels so that he would fit into a 16 x 16 box.
The flipper sprites should probably be just a pixel or two longer, but I didn't feel like making the adjustments.
The "LoZ: CBC" title is on the game board itself. I think it's a bit distracting and probably should be moved to an intro screen, whatever.
Like the "LoZ:CBC" title being on the game board, I also have a Triforce graphic at the top of the board that is also probably distracting. I had thought about removing it and instead tiling a pond or something, but never got around to it.

Future plans (I think it would be nice if eventually we could get the following made in addition to the game itself):

An original looking "The Legend Of Zelda: The Chrome Ball Chronicles" title
A support banner
A custom program icon

Enjoy!

Screens
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 10:09:44 pm by dlbrooks33 »
  • Megaclipse Games
Re: I just had the greatest idea ever!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 11:47:18 am »
Hey, that's a good idea, but I deslike pinball :\ But still a nice thing to see.

moree

Bizon-Ent.com
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:21:19 pm »
  • N/A
Thats a realy great idea!
so Link is walking/running without pressing any buttens?
and if you hit a wall, will link turn around and walk the other way?

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 01:23:23 pm »
It's not exactly a new idea, but it's worth trying! Sounds good, are you gonna make it?
  • Me on deviantART

Dark Xion

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 01:43:42 pm »
Hmmm... you should go in the direction of sonic spinball with this man, I loved that game dude!!!

Koh

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 03:23:17 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
thats where i got the idea from, I have sonic spinball too. but i am far too inexperienced with GM to take this, and no you have to move Link arouind he won't be walking byhimself.
  • Megaclipse Games

moree

Bizon-Ent.com
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 03:24:55 pm »
  • N/A
so basicly, he can only he can only jump with the pinbal-flippers?
seems quite original ;)
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 03:34:49 pm »
I once tried a Zelda pinball game, but it was more bat and ball styled game, since I couldnt find a good pinball engine.

moree

Bizon-Ent.com
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 03:36:06 pm »
  • N/A
LOL, I tried I ones too, but when I came to programming the flipper, I didn't knew what to do, so I quit :P
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 03:58:09 pm »
  • Serving Your Trainer Needs!
That is an awesome idea. I would love to play "The Legend Of Zelda: Chrome Ball Adventure" or whatever! lol It would be great if someone would attempt this.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 06:34:55 pm »
  • Back again.
We could try putting a team together. I can't program or sprite, but I'm pretty good at story development[in-depth]. Also, I'm learning to sprite, so eventually, who knows...
Just kinda moseying along.

Dark Xion

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 03:19:11 am »
Well I suppose I could help program, I have been working with GM for many many years so I am pretty good at it, but I would need a full graphics set (talking at least one level, the flippers the character and everything else you would want in the first level) before I would start programming anything, if anyone wants to sprite/tile for this that'd be sweet so then get on and send me the sprites and I will code up a demo level for ya

P.S. AS I said before I LOVE Sonic Spinball, just had to say it again

Koh

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 01:52:16 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
well i could get you Hyrule Lemons GB recolors.  Those are some great things. Also if you do do it good luck and I wish to be a spriter or a beta tester (if you want me to sprite you gotta wait for me to get my cdomputer fixed, right now i'm using my sis's laptop)
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 10:42:08 pm »
  • Taste the soup of my brain!
    I would like gameplay if it were like this:

There could be 2 styles of movement.
    • Link is the little ball.  You cannot control his movement, only the direction he faces.  He can face in 1 of four directions at a time, but if he is moving his speed will greatly decrease and he will begin to fall back towards the bottom.
    • Link is the little ball.  You cannot control his movement or the direction he faces.  The only way to protect yourself from enemies is to use weapons.  Weapons only appear for a short time when you fire them, though.  I/E:  You use  the master sword and Link holds it in front of himself and begins to spin.  After 1 or 2 spins he will put it away.  Another example:  You use the shield because you are about to hit an enemy and you are not facing towards it, and you are to close to kill it with your sword.  Link bends over and holds the BIG OL' SHIELD on top of him and it protects him from the enemies until he gets up.  The shield could be used for an unlimited amount of time, but it would not let you collect rupees or defeat enemies, thus stopping a player from doing something "cheap" to defeat a level.

There will be somewhere at least flippers throughout the board/pinbal machine.  You will have to coordinate the flippers and Link's movement to defeat the level.

For levels I have THIS idea:

Each level could either be 1 of my two ideas:

• The level could be a large pinball machine, created with tiles used from a LoZ game.  You have to collect all the rupees or defeat all of the enemies to move on to the next.
    • The level could have a layout like that of an actual dungeon.  Each room would have at least two flippers, and normal exits on the rooms like normal LoZ dungeons.  There would be normal locked doors like in any LoZ game, and there would be secret passages only openable by bombing or dashing at a wall.  The objective of a dungeon would be the normal one: 
      • Find the bosskey
      • Get the treasure
      • Find the boss' chamber entrance
      • Defeat the boss
      You would also get your items here, such as the Pegasus boots, the Bow, the Boomerang, etc.
    For weapons, I have this idea:

You will have 3 weapon buttons.  1 for sword and 2 for secondary weapons like the shield, boomerang, arrow, and hookshot (not limited to just these).  You can pause the game to switch them around.  Most will have different effects, like the sword will swing in front of link/do a spin attack, and the shield will block all directions.  While switching weapons, the game will pause for you.

My ideas for weapons so far are:
    • Bombs:  Link places a bomb on his current location.  Can be used to open passages in crumbling walls.
    • Pegasus boots:  Link temporarily doubles his speed until either he:
      • Hits a wall
      • Uses an item/uses the pegasus boots again
      • Hits a flipper
        These will open passages just like the bombs will.
    • Bow:  Shoots an rrow in Link's current direction.
    • Bracelet of Momentum:  Gives the player total control over Link's current direction for a short time.  When used must recharge for a fairly long length of time before next use.
    • Lantern:  Illuminates the stage.  Can burn down groups of bushes.  Does not require use.
    • Boomerang:  Thrown in Link's direction and returns back to Link.  Cannot be thrown again while a boomerang is on screen.  There are two types of boomerang:
      • Normal Boomerang:  When thrown will immediately return
      • Magical Boomerang:  When thrown, will circle the player until called back (until the player presses the key set to boomerang).
    • Bottle:  Can hold potions, fairies, etc.
    • Block Making Staff:  Produces a block which is then thrown in the direction of Link.
    • Power Glove:  Allows Link to puch aside heavy blocks and pots.
    • Swords:  Link swings sword in front of him.  Used to hurt enemies, just like most other items.  There is more than one type of sword:
      • Kokiri Sword:  Small sword that does little damage.
      • Master Sword:  Larger sword that does much damage.  Longer swing range.
      • Giant's Knife:  HUGE sword that is very flimsy.  This sword is large enough to have a range of 315 degrees.
      • Biggoron Sword:  Exactly like the Giant's Knife except that it is incredibly sturdy and well-made.
    • Shields:  Link will bend down and cover himself with the shield.  Shields effectively protect in all 360 degrees.  There is more than one type of shield:
      • Kokiri/Wooden Shield:  Protects against low level enemies.  You must acquire a better shield to enter harder areas.  You begin with this shield.
      • Hylian Shield:  Protects against all levels of enemies.
      • Mirror Shield:  Protects against all enemies AND deflects projectiles back to their source.
    NPCs would most likely be handled like this:

Again, 2 possible ways to handle them.
    • NPCs could activate when hit.
    • There could be levels in which you can control Link's direction of movement AND speed.  And you could have an action button.

I personally like the dungeon idea for levels.  That would be very fun for me. 

With that, I bid you farewell.  And I am just making suggestions.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 10:45:32 pm by trelantana »
She'll pull out your feathers for her brand new hat and when she's done that she'll feed you to her cat.
People you love will turn their backs on you.  You'll lose your hair, your teeth. Your knife will fall of its sheath, but you still don't like to leave until the end of the movie.
If I threw my guitar out the window, so far down, would I start to regret it?  Or would I smile and watch it slowly fall?

Koh

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 11:21:05 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
i don't really know about the dungeon layout-like exits and rooms, but the rest sounds like a good idea, anyother people had ideas on how they would like it?
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 12:20:51 am »
  • Back again.
I was thinking along the same lines as him. But, a MUST is multiplayer mode. It could be like FS: You can fight with eachother, or against eachother., Fighting against eachother would be like a normal pinball game, exceot that you can bump eachother, can when someone falls between the flippers, they lose a quarter of a heart. Fighting with eachother would be exactly the same as normal.
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 12:22:29 am »
  • META MAJINKEN!
I think it's an OK idea.
well, no comments to say. but
(that avatar.... is made by Gashin in PZC, you have no right to take it, unless you asked him of course)

The Creator Of:
  • PureZC
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 12:36:04 am »
  • You're the yellow bird that I've been waiting for.
I'd also being willing to help program along with Dark Xion :]
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 03:18:21 am »
  • Back again.
I made some pinball flipper sprites. These are my first custom sprites, so be gentle with the reviews.
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 03:22:01 am »
  • META MAJINKEN!
I might make some bouncy wall thingies....
(and about that gashin sprite, I asked him and you weren't allowed to use it! Take it off! It's Gashin's work! Don't steal sprites!!!)

Meh, sensitive to these things, and stealing is wrong O.o

The Creator Of:
  • PureZC
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 80 queries.