Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Spoilers]X-men Origins: Wolverine  (Read 1762 times)

[Spoilers]X-men Origins: Wolverine
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:10:46 am »
Yesterday was the opening of the new Wolverine movie. And because I'm a sucker for these kind of movies, I went to see it. I had heard the stories about the leaked version and how bad the movie was judged by it. So I went with the expectation that it was horrible. In the end I must say that it wasn't that bad of a movie. It was a nice take on the origin story of wolverine. It is not completely in line with the comics, but of course it had to connect with X2, as it is a prequel to the X-men movies.

But there are some points of remarks I have to make:
Show content
1) The special effects guys sometimes dropped the ball a bit and made the scenes look a bit unbelievable. For example when Wolverine is examining his new claws in the bathroom, or when Xavier stands by the helicopter waiting for the escaping mutants.

2) The line up on mutants was a bit misplaced, some appeared just briefly and it sometimes felt as if they pushed in some mutants they couldn't do in the X-Men movies. Like Gambit, Emma Frost and the Blob. This resulted in a number of characters from the Wolverine lineup to be excluded. For example I missed David North aka Maverick and Raven Darkholme aka Mystique in the Team X, instead they had Wade Wilson (Deadpool) and Fred Dukes (The Blob).
It also contained Cyclops, but he has a complete origin story on his own which doesn't have any connections with Wolverine whatsoever.

3) It was nice to add deadpool in the mix as he is connected to weapon X, but it is to bad his final incarnation in the movie didn't have his insane chatter. In the comics he is known as the merc with a mouth. The combat action was really nice though.

4) Finally, I found it a bit anti climactic how wolverine lost his memory. It felt like the writers having an Oh-!@#$%-we-still-need-wolverine-to-lose-his-memory,-but-we're-at-the-end-of-the-movie moment.

Wolverine is definitely not the best movie, but also not the worst. For this movie the creators could have better focused on the Wolverine comics instead of the X-men comics. But it probably explains why it is "X-men Origins". All in all it I actually enjoyed the movie. I wonder who's origin story is up next.

What do you guys think?
Re: [Spoilers]X-men Origins: Wolverine
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:28:33 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
I didn't know the movie was out yet.  I've only seen the leaked work print.  Anyway, I thought it was pretty good.  The lack of a proper Deadpool was the biggest disappointment, but Wade Wilson was still pretty awesome for the little time he was shown.

Also, Liev Schreiber makes a sexy Sabretooth.  >:3

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:20:01 am »
In the Netherlands it has been released. I don't know about the rest of the world.

I never watch leaked versions, because they always contain green screens, unremoved ropes, early CGI and missing sound bites, which make the movie only look bad.

Liev Schreiber does a better sabretooth than Tyler Mane did in in 2000
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 11:28:36 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
I believe it's not out til May 1st in the US.  I got to see the movie a month in advance, so it was worth the missing special effects.  But I'll definitely be seeing the actual finished film as well.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 07:03:41 pm »
  • w00t
Saw the leaked version since my friend had it and was showing a group of my friends.  Seemed pretty cool, but since I never read the comics I imagine I missed some of the backstory.  Will still be seeing it when it comes out in theaters (and the fact that I'll be working for a theater starting mid-May will help, heh).
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:37:22 pm »
Nope you're not missing any back story. If you've seen X2 that is more then enough. If you've read the x-men comics you recognize the various mutants. But that is also the case if you've seen the X-men series. I think if you know the back story of the comics, you probably are going to expect story twists that aren't there.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 12:14:35 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
<_< I can't believe that you mentioned the
Show content
merc with a mouth part, but completely ignored that they butchered Deadpool's character in every other way possible too. Katana's that extend from his hands? Cyclop's powers? No. He has teleportation, regeneration, and self awareness. That's it :(... They ruined his story, added too much stuff, and got rid of his mouth...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 12:28:05 am by Mamoruanime »
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 10:22:04 am »
He is one of my favorite characters of the Marvel Universe. If I had to rant on everything they did incorrect with
Show content
Deadpool. I wouldn't be finished today.
His comedy was always the strongest part. That is why I mentioned it. And because it is a movie about Wolverine and not
Show content
Deadpool
, I allow for some creative aspirations. I heard the movie was produced by Hugh Jackman himself, and because he didn't even know who wolverine was, let alone the rest of the X-universe I can understand why not everything is correct.

But to recap
Show content
Deadpool's abilities:
1) He has regeneration, given to him by implanting wolverines DNA. This is done in correct in the movie.
2) In the comic he uses katana's he carries on the back. In the movie they come out of his arms. Which is incorrect.
3) In the comics you don't see his mouth, but that is because of a mask, similar to that of spider-man. In the movie it is grafted shut. I don't know how he will eat, but it destroys Deadpool's strongest part: the comedy.
4) In the comics he uses all kinds of fire arms. But in the movie they replaced it with Cyclops optic blast. Funny, but a no go with Deadpool's character.
5) When firing the optic blast he gets black patches around his eyes in a specific shape. The shape is kind of correct, but again as with the mouth, the patches are a part of his mask. Not the body.
6) He gets teleporting mutant powers in the movie, but in the comics it initially is a device created by his first sidekick Weasel. Currently, it is connected to Cable's teleportation device.
7) Deadpool cannot form any coherent thought so he can't be controlled with mind controlling devices or telepathy. In the movie he much like a robot.
8) Do I need to go on....?

BTW: according to imdb the next origin story is about Magneto (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499519/).

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 12:02:34 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
I just saw it last night and I think it was a pretty good movie but they did mess a lot of stuff up, Wade was awesome at the beginning though.
Show content
I'm hoping for a good deadpool movie but if they do decide to make one its most likely gonna be based off of the origins one so they can try and have all the movies fit together, hopefully he somehow loses the powers other then the healing, in the movie they did say his bonding with the powers wasn't complete when they released him.. they're bound to find some way to completely turn him around and back into the real deadpool. anyway, who here got the deadpool ending in the theater?
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 01:54:44 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
[spoiler=Uhm, Spoilers?]I really hope they make a Deadpool movie, too.  His character needs redemption after they screwed him up in the Wolverine movie.[/spoiler]

Also, I'm glad they're making a Magneto origins movie.  Magneto is awesome. >:3  It better be good.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 02:05:24 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
None of you watched the scene after the credits, did you? =\

warning: spoilers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX5dwUA5Yyc

EDIT:

BTW: according to imdb the next origin story is about Magneto (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499519/).

Yes, Magneto is next and it's going to follow the Magneto Testament comics.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 02:30:07 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
I heard about that scene following the credits, but I didn't know it was up on the net anywhere.  It wasn't included in the leaked workprint, and I haven't seen the full movie yet.
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 07:18:39 am »
Nope I haven't seen that ending. I thought the extra ending shown during the credits was the ending. I read that that particular ending is different in each theater. Well I think I'll wait for the DVD and Blu-Ray to come out to see those.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 64 queries.

anything