Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Help] Windmill  (Read 8277 times)

[Help] Windmill
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:43:16 am »
I'm not much of a spriter, but I've been working on some graphics for my project. I've started tiling Kakariko Village, and need to sprite my buildings.... I've begun the work on the village windmill.
What I want:
http://images.wikia.com/zelda/images/e/e0/Ferris_Wheel.png (image too large for the forum..)
What I have:
I think I have a fairly nice start, but would love to hear C&C.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:44:48 am by ZoSo »
Re: [Help] Windmill
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:42:17 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Well, first of all that Link sprite is OSM's, so you should really credit him. :P
http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=18239.0

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:20:35 pm »
I know, credit will be given, I didn't mean to imply I made the Link sprite. I only did the widmill part, full credit for Link goes to OSM. Other than that, any c&c on the windmill?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:49:00 am »
  • It's just Max.
You know, it looks nice, but... what is it? I can't actually tell what part of the windmill that is out of context! D8
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 03:18:23 am »
It's the central hub where the blades meet.
Update:
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 04:27:22 am »
  • It's just Max.
Let me see if I can illustrate my point through characters:

____
        ____
__             ____
    ____
            ____
                    ____

See how the top line and bottom line, how each segment doesn't really line up with the segment below it, they're spaced oddly. In my experience, this creates a smoother, less pixelated looking line. In the sprite you've done, it looks real pixilated.

Also, and I don't know why, it doesn't look like a thin canvas stretched inbetween posts, it looks like the entire blade is really thick. :/

The colors are pretty nice though.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:02:55 am »
Thanks for the tip max, it definately helped..
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 10:37:32 pm »

BUMP
C&C please, I need to clean up the angled blades from the rotation, but cant figure out how to shade the canvas :-\ And also deciding the length of the bottom two blades..

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 01:35:53 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
It's looking great so far, especially with more than one blade. I think, however, that you might want to revise the lighting/shading of the blades when it gets fully put together. Also, a windmill typically only has 4 blades put together with a 90 degree angle...so a windmill with 5 blades might look a little weird. Just my thoughts, but you're doing great!
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 01:59:07 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
It's looking great so far, especially with more than one blade. I think, however, that you might want to revise the lighting/shading of the blades when it gets fully put together. Also, a windmill typically only has 4 blades put together with a 90 degree angle...so a windmill with 5 blades might look a little weird. Just my thoughts, but you're doing great!

Agreed.  While it is looking really good, the current lighting makes them look more like a sail than a windmill blade.  The lighting should not be symmetrical because the blades are supposed to be slanted in order to push the air off to one side.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 12:39:24 am »
Something like this?

New:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:17:45 am by ZoSo »
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 04:21:05 am »
That does look more natural. Good job! I recommend using graphicsgale for rotating your blades though. It wont wont blur the image and make it look like a JPG. Make sure your image is highlighted/selected, then just go to "image", and then "rotate" to set your rotation. Its free to use.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 12:35:24 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Yup, there is definitely some improvement going on there :). I still don't feel like it would look good if it were more than 4 blades, however, but I guess we'll see what the end result is like.
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 07:10:51 pm »
Well, 4 blades is the most common number with old windmills. Although any number of blades higher than 1 can be put on a windwill. I have seen a enough windmills with 3 blades or even more than a dozen. As long as there is a bit of room near the connector node to let the windthrough

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 05:08:18 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
If this is for a game, I'd recommend just drawing the windmill blades in 1 pose, and use whatever engine you're using/programming in to draw the blades at the different angles
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Koh

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 05:42:46 am »
  • Tamer Koh
I'm not much of a spriter, but I've been working on some graphics for my project. I've started tiling Kakariko Village, and need to sprite my buildings.... I've begun the work on the village windmill.
What I want:
http://images.wikia.com/zelda/images/e/e0/Ferris_Wheel.png (image too large for the forum..)
What I have:
Well your newer attempts are coming along nicely, but can you please give Link his classic brown hair?  I'm sick of Nintendo making him a blonde; it doesn't fit him at all :P.
  • Megaclipse Games

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 12:43:54 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
If this is for a game, I'd recommend just drawing the windmill blades in 1 pose, and use whatever engine you're using/programming in to draw the blades at the different angles

This is a good idea, btw. I strongly recommend you follow DJ's advice here.
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 10:43:12 pm »
What I want:
What I have:
Well your newer attempts are coming along nicely, but can you please give Link his classic brown hair?  I'm sick of Nintendo making him a blonde; it doesn't fit him at all :P.
Nope,he'llbe blonde :P

This is a good idea, btw. I strongly recommend you follow DJ's advice here.
I was hoping DJ would pop into this thread! I'm probably going to follow your advice star, and only have 4 blades for ease of animation purposes, and I will use the engine for animating.
@DJ any c&c? I was hoping to get one of the true pixel artists advice in here, no offense toanyone else :-X

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 03:09:32 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
@DJ any c&c? I was hoping to get one of the true pixel artists advice in here, no offense toanyone else

I don't mean to butt in, but I would strongly advise your wording of this sentence. Everyone who sprites here are true pixel artists, including yourself. I think what you should, in the future, word it as "looking for experienced professional pixel artists". It urks me when people say something like this that both degrades others (unintentionally in your case) and yourself. :)
Koo loo limpah!
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 10:50:01 pm »
Thanks for posting that star. It was not intended to make any feel badly or sound like I don't appreciate everyones input(because I do  8)).
So I've been working on a new sprite, and it's everyones favorite creep!

Cannot match the style of OSMs Link, any suggestions?
Image refereance for those wondering about why he looks like he's being strung up lol
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 74 queries.