Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A hint on using C++  (Read 1076 times)

A hint on using C++
« on: July 19, 2006, 04:55:05 am »
  • The Broken King
Okay, the first obvious hint, don't use managed C++ and unmanaged C++ together.
The second hint: If it worked in Visual Studio 2003, there's no guarantee it'll work in Visual Studio 2005. turns out they changed a lot of things, and some things that you could do in 2003 you can't do the same way in 2005 anymore. So you may have to relearn a few things.

So...if your project is to make a WinSock client using TCP/IP and UDP/IP that simulates a chat program using a console application, don't push yourself and try to make yourself a visual, Windows-Forms chat application using multi-threading and managed forms (while you only know how to use WinSock unmanaged).

That homework assignment took almost 40 hours. It was due one week after it was assigned. Basically, ambitious doesn't necessarily mean smart when you have a deadline.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 01:04:12 am by 4Sword »
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]

Pedlya

Pederp
Re: A hint on using C++
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 04:56:15 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
It would be brilliant if you could merge this with my C++ stikied topic
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 04:58:20 am »
  • The Broken King
This really isn't that good advice. It's mostly me whining about how stupid I was for trying the above. D =
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 05:46:59 am »
  • Huzzowee!
The second hint: If it worked in Visual Studio 2003, there's no guarantee it'll work in Visual Studio 2005. turns out they changed a lot of things, and some things that you could do in 2003 you can't do the same way in 2005 anymore. So you may have to relearn a few things.
Wow... amen to that! I had just downloaded 2005 and a book my dad's friend gave me referenced an older version. Not only was some of the layout changed (although not too drastically), but throughout the book it uses code snippets that have the main function as just "main() {". While that's obviously bad practise, it apparently used to work. When I tried it took me the better part of 15 minutes to figure out why the hell my program wouldn't compile. Finally I decide to look up the error code and it turns out that 2005 doesn't accept it without a return type. So from then on I'd just use "int main() {" and it worked.

Long story short, Lesson 3 is don't copy code blindly! Who knows where it'll lead you ;).
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 07:38:18 am »
  • The Broken King
it will lead you...

TO PAIN!

no really. it's a fact. *rubs sore fingers*
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 47 queries.