Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Resignation  (Read 7062 times)

Resignation
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:02:37 am »
I'm sorry to say I'll be unable to continue the operation of this forum. I have found that ZFGC is taking up far too much time, with very little productivity out of it. I need something that I can physically see results with and right now I'm just not feeling it with ZFGC. Whether it by my style of leadership or the current state of ZFGC itself, I really don't know. Regardless I can't keep up with the demand ZFGC is requiring when I get no enjoyment out of managing it at all.

I realized this today while chatting with a few former members about the current state of ZFGC. The thought finally clicked when I came to the realization of what I want to see ZFGC become. My vision for the forum consisted of a (Zelda) Fan Game website, which seems fairly achievable from a distance. Looking closer I've come to realize without ZFGC's original purpose (OoT2D) there's nothing that pushes ZFGC towards the fan gaming element. I want to note I do recognize the successes of AoDC, King Mob and others with creating amazing games over the past few years, I just feel there should be more than a handful of games to account for. I've also come to realize that attempting to push ZFGC towards the (Zelda) Fan Game concept is nearly impossible, because its very similar to what was done to the user base during Project-X. We forced users to focus on one thing, while they were attempting to focus on another, which ultimately lead to the downfall of the project over all.

Now, I'm not saying that ZFGC can never achieve these results, but I am saying I am not the person to take ZFGC there.

I will be stepping down from the title of "General Manager" of ZFGC. Due to an agreement with Justin (Metallica) I will not be giving up the domain name, if I did the domain name would ultimately return to his hands if it goes anywhere at all.

With that said I plan on discussing my options as soon as possible with Mammy regarding my replacement.

You're free to comment on this post if you feel the need to do so. I've opened announcements to posting.

Thanks to everyone who have helped me along the way and specifically to those of you who put up a fight with me, and supported me at my side. You've all made me grow in different ways.

Thanks ZFGC! :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 02:18:03 am by 4Sword »
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
Re: Resignation
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:12:30 am »
Cya Andrew, I think my post in the staff board more or less covers my feelings. You'll be missed :).

ZFGC just can't survive at the moment gived its very narrow target audience, especially when users are so resistent to change.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:49:36 am »
This was a bit unexpected, but I suppose it's not entirely surprising.

I can't really blame you, as I feel about the same way.  I feel as though I put far too much time into ZFGC, (and I'm not even that active of a member, much less a part of the staff), that I could otherwise put to more constructive use. There is a definite lack of focus overall, but it doesn't seem that there is a great deal that can be done to change this without alienating a good portion of the user-base.  I feel bad for saying this, but I've started to ignore all the fan game projects almost completely.  I would leave, but I enjoy the community for the most part, with only a handful of annoying exceptions.

I hope you stick around in some capacity now that you've freed yourself from official obligations with the site, (not including maintaining ownership of the domain).  If you do leave, you will be missed.  You've done a great job, and I thank you for that.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 02:12:40 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
Well, this was kind of out of the blue...

I hope you have a good time doing whatever else you were going to do, I hope Mammy becomes the General Manager :D

Other than that, I just think it is hard for us to attract new members other than through word of mouth, or friends at school... I guess that's just how the cookie crumbles, there is hardly an attraction to Zelda Fangaming anymore, AoDC's project was pretty much our last hope.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 02:30:11 am »
Well, this was kind of out of the blue...

I hope you have a good time doing whatever else you were going to do, I hope Mammy becomes the General Manager :D

Other than that, I just think it is hard for us to attract new members other than through word of mouth, or friends at school... I guess that's just how the cookie crumbles, there is hardly an attraction to Zelda Fangaming anymore, AoDC's project was pretty much our last hope.

If you haven't already, take a look at King Mob's project: http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=3937.0
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 02:36:35 am »
  • w00t
As I said before, it's been an honor serving under you. 
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 05:03:07 am »
I have always been your biggest source of disagreement, but for good reason, so I understood when you were frustrated; I never thought that you would step down when the disagreements were for the most part ended by my voluntary demotion and promotion of Mamoruanime, it seemed like everything cooled down a bit because of that.  I know the general feeling of a stressful work load; if I left completely, the moderation would buckle and die.  But whatever, your service has been admirable and you did what you needed to do. 
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 05:34:01 am »
  • Ancient Admin / Gaurdian
Keep in touch.

Also, I apologize for my recent inactivity. My house has been under remodeling and my net connection goes crazy (the contractors often play with the cables). I will try to be more active.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 05:41:50 am »
Wow, this is really unexpected. I'm sorry to see you step down. We've definitely had our fights in the past, but i respect you. You will be missed.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 05:42:32 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
O.o this is quite unexpected; and suckful lol
* Mamoruanime stabs

we must talk for a moment lol
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 05:52:26 am »
*80% sure zfgc is absolutely !@#$% now*
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 06:00:13 am »
very unexpected :( i wish you luck
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 07:15:16 am »
I'm probably gonna have to agree with .TakaM with that one.

Anyhow, we will all miss you, and your very long almost professional-like posts, but also the work you did for ZFGC. I'm sure none of us will forget you though. I also have to say that I hope you don't completely quit, and you will come back every once in a while.
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 08:19:56 am »
  • I choose you, Zorua!
I'm surprised it took so long for a cynical response to appear.
My name is Pitt
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 08:22:28 am »
I didn't mean it like I was 100% sure while andrew was admin

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 10:54:17 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
That was really unexpected.
  You were the best admin I've ever seen in any forum, but if you think you must resign, then do it :D
Lets just hope that under Mammy(or whoever) we as a forum will prosper.

~LynkW
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 01:18:04 pm »
I'm sorry to hear this but I understand your reasons completely. It seems like the only thing the members here have in common nowadays is that they've been members of the same forum for four years... :P Whatever happens to this place now, it will be worse off for your resignation. And I'd like to say a thank you too - your help in a couple of matters has been very much appreciated.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 11:13:55 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
I've been around the block a few times on several other forums (it tends to happen when you join them in 2000 and remain active to this day), so a General Administrator stepping down and handing the power to another is nothing new to me. Regardless, this was a bit of a surprise, as I figured you were doing a pretty good job at keeping the site together. Well, good luck on down the road, Andrew. You will be missed.

Also, don't feel like a failure (you've put yourself down a few times). If and when ZFGC is complete FOR REAL, the lot of us will remember you as the guy to who kick started the whole process. Congrats.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 12:26:25 pm »
  • I need something new to put here...
ZFGC has become less of its self already.

There is hardly even a Z, F, or even a G. It seems that the community, after everyone gave up hope for OoT 2D, it became more of a community central, sure, we all still, or most of us hopefully, still love Zelda. But this community has left Zelda behind.  When a new zelda game comes out, we all make a big hype, but other than that, no one cares for Zelda in conjunction with this forum.

Your resignation as general manager is big, but I don't think we should be so focused on Zelda anymore. If we wanted to get Zelda back into the forums, we'd basically have to delete everything and restart it purely for Zelda. The community is making it's own way. ZFGC was only real back in OoT 2D days, now it's just a community. The current core values of the community are itself, graphics, game design in general, itself, gaming in general, and maybe debates. I honestly beleive, no offence, that 'General manager' was a figure head position anyway, In terms of the public. obviously he/she maintains the domain name and hosting etc. But we have a team of staff who take care of the whole site, and the public directs the forum. Only a dictatorship could work to get Zelda back here. So in all honesty, you stepping down as general manager just means you do not hold the hosting/domain name control... unless you do. In which case I don't think there will be any real significant change.
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 07:16:44 pm »
I honestly beleive, no offence, that 'General manager' was a figure head position anyway, In terms of the public. obviously he/she maintains the domain name and hosting etc. But we have a team of staff who take care of the whole site, and the public directs the forum. Only a dictatorship could work to get Zelda back here. So in all honesty, you stepping down as general manager just means you do not hold the hosting/domain name control... unless you do. In which case I don't think there will be any real significant change.
Being an administrator and general manager is much more than holding the domain name.  For example, 4Sword was the general manager but never had control of the site, while Andrew has stepped down from being one yet still owns the domain name.  Administrators are essentially the leaders, at the very top of the ladder as far as staff goes.  They are the moderators' moderators, they make the final decisions and ultimately dictate the direction the site should go in.

I think that's the general gist of it anyway, it's been a long time since I was a part of the staff so I could be a bit off.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 73 queries.