Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updated: East, South and North Clock Town Complete  (Read 8117 times)

Re: Updated: East, South and North Clock Town Co...
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 10:59:58 pm »
Whoops! I forgot to mention I haven't sprited the bell yet lol It's such an odd shape. I'll post it with the next update.

And Mirby is correct. I try to stay within the general guidelines of GB style, though my stuff is pretty non-traditional. The color combinations specifically bring these areas out of character for GB style. After I'm done West, I'm going to retile this quickly to make it more "GB" so there are two versions.

Thanks for the comments. :)
  • My Photostream
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 11:02:04 pm »
Holy shitballs! I hadn't seen this topic yet but that looks absolutely stunning! Great work!
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 11:44:54 pm »
This is getting very good. I like your east clock town quite a lot. One thing I don't like is the building opposite the inn. The steps that go up to it, look like they go down. It also looks impossible to get onto the roof, even though it should be possible. Other than that, excellent work.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 01:34:44 am »
I noticed one little error, the purple trees on the left side have a pixel sliced off them.
This is really nice work though, shame I can't comment on the layout since I haven't played MM.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 02:02:23 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
I know! I'll go into my MM rom, activate levitation, and take a screenie of it! Will that help anyone?

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 07:13:15 am »
@Kleaver: :o I didn't even know you still came here! haha Well thanks.
@Majora: I definitely agree. I haven't decided how I'm going to fix it yet, though. I might just use the walls I did for the entrance to the Laundry Pool as that seems to translate a bit better. Thanks!
@Darklight: Yeah, that was just a mistake when I pulled all the tiles together. :) Thanks for looking though and thanks for the compliment. You should play MM. It's one of my favorites!
@Mirby: I wouldn't mind that myself lol I don't have [or want] the ROM and I didn't know anyone to ask for those. I've just been running around in game via my N64. :P I'd appreciate it if you could either PM me the overheads or post the links here, if you don't mind. And what did you mean by the Ballad of the Windfish comment earlier? XD
  • My Photostream

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 07:22:56 am »
I'll get the pics and post them here!

And can't you play the Ballad of the Windfish in the Milk Bar with all the forms (minus Fierce Deity, of course) and listen to it? That's what I was getting at. I swear I remember doing that...

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 07:25:28 am »
I'll get the pics and post them here!

And can't you play the Ballad of the Windfish in the Milk Bar with all the forms (minus Fierce Deity, of course) and listen to it? That's what I was getting at. I swear I remember doing that...

:o :o That is so freakin cool. I've never heard that.. I'm going to have to try and youtube this. :P Thanks again for offering those pictures!
  • My Photostream

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 07:35:11 am »
No problem! I've have them in a jiffy!

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 07:57:40 am »
I must say I like your North and South Clock Town. And the rest seems pleased with how East looks, but I have to disagree. I think East Clock Town looks awful and it is rather poor tiling for the quality that I have seen you do.

- The mayor's house are cave tiles and probably some entrance of one of the dungeons in the GBC games. Really misplaced.

- Like MaJoRa already said, the roof of the Milk bar looks unreachable.

- Those dark purple cliffs at the east side are completely out of place. You would have done better to extend the City wall. Not to mention that the dark purple completely clashes with everything.

- The dark purple trees, once again color clash with everything else and are completely out of place. The only place in Clock town that has a Central Park like feeling is North Clock Town. The trees simply don't belong in any other part of the town.

- The dirt patch with the deku flower once again is wrong for that part of town. The free nature ambiance is once again a part of North Clock Town and not East. The deku flower is put on a atificial dirt plateau with nice walled edges. At the same time it is higher part that can act as an outdoor stage.

With North and South Clock Town you really kept true to the parts specific ambiance, but in East Clock Town you really ruined the ambiance.

Oh yeah, a small advice on how to deal with the Clock Tower. In 2D it is actually rather difficult to make a tower and still be able to walk around it and see the entrance in the back. Nintendo solved this by having the tower at the top of an area and not being able to walk around it. Thus resulting that the player will only see the base entrance of the tower.

My suggestion is that you move the passage between North and South a little to the right and place the Clock Tower in the upper left corner of South Clock Town. With no path that leads to the back of the tower.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:33:51 am by Niek »

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 08:06:03 am »
[spoiler=Image dump]

[/spoiler]
There's duplicates in there, and I'm not always facing north, but those should help. Right?

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2010, 08:52:41 am »
@Niek: I'm a bit confused only because I don't think that my North Clock Town is true to the game at all. The colors are eccentric, the area is overgrown and the only thing that is similar is the basic layout. When I think of Clock Town, I think of a small town busting with energy and life. I just feel a magical vibe running through it. My main purpose in tiling Clock Town as I am was to capture that using a minimal style. So, I used strong color palettes and a few added objects. I also wanted to give each area a distinct color scheme, while keeping them relative overall, so the player isn't bored while running through each area over and over. That being said, I also took a bit of creative leeway such the trees in East and the Mayors office.

For the Mayors office, I chose to give it more of an impact than it had in the game. Given that the original area is pretty bland and limitations with wall tiles, I wanted to illustrate the wall paintings throughout the town while drawing attention to the door as it's probably the most important place in town [even though it may not be in the game]. In regards to the tiles I've used, if you haven't noticed, nearly everything I use is already in the games. I'm not a terrific spriter and I prefer to use tiles from the games in new ways. So, yes, it is from the game.

I completely agree about the roof of the Milk Bar. I think I'm going to play around with it a bit tomorrow. I don't mind the color of the cliffs at all, honestly. I think all of the colors from East work well together and also tie in the sage greens from North and the reds from South. If you mean to say they're odd because of the placement in the town, I somewhat agree. I'm using the cliff tiles throughout town to signify the clay walls in the original game. Only a handful of walls are actually brick and the rest are clay with some crazy patterns on them. Since I couldn't really figure out a way to sprite that, I decided the cliff tiles and their texture were an adequate GB substitute. I think I'm going to get rid of the the brick wall farthest to the right and replace it with cliff tiles. I added the trees partially for filler and partially to keep somewhat of a consistency with North and the hay used for roofing. I also really don't mind the dirt with the addition of plants and trees around the section. In the original game, it's actually a stone slab or else I would have made it wood.

I think that East flows well with the rest of the town and will even more once West is finished. I'm just trying to create a fun, quirky and magical place that I remember from my first time playing Majoras Mask. I think you also have to remember it's a conversion from 3D. So many people try to make things exactly as they are from the original, but so much is lost when you're forced into one perspective and limited details. Like I said in the original post, I'm exaggerating the town to fit a certain atmosphere that I feel while playing the game. Whether it ends up completely true to the original game is unimportant to me. But I appreciate your comment and the time you took to critique this for me. I'm glad you like North and South, but I really think once the layout is solid, the rest of it is just personal preference. And this is my Clock Town - It's easily re-colorable.

I may do that for the clock tower. I haven't even begun to think on how to tackle that beast. I was sweating over the damn treasure chest, so I'm sure that the tower will give me a ton of hell. Thanks for the idea, though. That will be the last thing I do.

As more of a personal comment, you really have a way of sounding harsh and rude when you post, regardless of how helpful you're trying to be. Lighten up, it's not that serious.

@Mirby: Thank you! Those will be great as a reference for any final changes I make to each area!
  • My Photostream

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 06:13:24 pm »
No problem. It was funny, I was wondering what the heck the patterns on the ground were in your South Clock Town because I didn't remember them. Until I took those screenies for you... hehehe

• Mirby Studios
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 61 queries.

anything