Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Appearance of the Royal Family in Spirit Mythes  (Read 3794 times)

Final Appearance of the Royal Family in Spirit M...
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:53:20 am »
  • You heard of the thing from the place with stuff?
Hello, today we finaly finished the full tilesheet for the royal family of Spirit Mythes. This will probably be the last version I'll make becuase I'm tired of tinkering every single sprite and animation of them over and over again. Although you may not know him (unless you look up in a forum topic were it says "X Guests are veiwing this topic"), but I'd like to thank one of my beta testers, Danny, for helping me on this and giving productive criticism. On the following attachment we have the front pose of (,in this order,) Sen, Zelda, and Lord Hyrule. I generaly like how they came out (except the minor fact that Sen looks like a jester). What do you guys think?
Sorry, I can't think of a more interesting sig. > .>

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
Re: Final Appearance of the Royal Family in Spir...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:07:55 am »
I see where you're going with it, the problem is your edits just don't fit in. The Link one stands out probably because we're used to it. The others don't matter as much because you're calling them what they are, except that the cloth add ons you have look pasted on.

Sens clothes just don't match the style well, and the add ons you made to Zelda could have softer outlines.

Lord Hyrule looks fine I guess.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:10:24 am by Ethelon »

Xfixium: "Leader"/Lead Programmer/Lead Spriter,  Cypras: Programmer, Ethelon: Tiler/Spriter, Darklink45: Spriter, Noseblunt3: Spriter,
SinkinDevil: Spriter, Dotyue: Spriter, Tompel: Tiler/Spriter, 
Mamoruanime: Tiler, DJvenom: Spriter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 06:37:40 am »
I see where you're going with it, the problem is your edits just don't fit in. The Link one stands out probably because we're used to it.
Completly understood. The only thing left of link is the general outline of the lower body and its head as a template. (P.S.: Its not Link, it is Sen. The hero of time hasn't appeared since the moon fell on Termina and he defeated Ganon in OoT/MM.)
The others don't matter as much because you're calling them what they are, except that the cloth add ons you have look pasted on.
What do you mean? Sen is just what I nicknamed the Prince of Hyrule from Zelda II when it came out, ofcoarse Lord Hyrule's last name is Hyrule (every hyrule-royalty in the zelda seris's last name is hyrule). And according to the manual of Zelda I (or was it ALttP) every female born into the Hyrule family will be named Zelda.
Sens clothes just don't match the style well, and the add ons you made to Zelda could have softer outlines.
A vest and a jester hat don't match the MC style? What do you think should be changed, exactly? I could probably change the outline on zelda with a pallete switcher. It is hot pink, should I use a baby-pink-ish color?
Lord Hyrule looks fine I guess.
Thankyou, the credit for its details go to Danny.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 07:06:49 am »
Hmm, first the sprites need shading. They look completely unshaded and even MC had some shading done.

Second, what are those triangles at the sides of their heads. I assume they are ears, considering the position. But they have a really hard outline and a wrong perspective. They look like the left picture, while they should have been like the right. Unless you intended them to have monkey ears, but then I would love to see the side views.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 07:50:04 am »
The point of the ears were to be more obvoiuse that MC underused it. I Agree, I put little perpective on purpose. I'm trying to make hylians in my game generaly shorter and more istinguishable from Calatia NPCs. (Terminians should look identicle to hylians considering their ears.) I'll see what I can do with the ears, but I'd haeto redo almost every NPC in the game...

On a side note, for magic in my game, we made something similer to Heart Containers called Mana Containers. I'm not sure if the perspective is good or not, but it is as attached. What Can I do with the perspective, because I'm not good with spriting. I'm not a spriter, I'm  coder, if I was a spriter, I wouldn't be on this website. (I wish my spriter would allow me to post her sprites on this website.)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 08:07:38 am »
Sorry to double post, but I tryed making a ZFGC style version of it. It isn't very good, I think it is made too simple. Then again, I followed the same general rules that the ZFGC Heart container does.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 08:12:57 am »
Sorry to double post, but I tryed making a ZFGC style version of it. It isn't very good, I think it is made too simple. Then again, I followed the same general rules that the ZFGC Heart container does.
Instead of double posting, you can also just modify your last post. There is a nice little button that says "Modify" at the top of the post.

The point of the ears were to be more obvoiuse that MC underused it. I Agree, I put little perpective on purpose. I'm trying to make hylians in my game generaly shorter and more istinguishable from Calatia NPCs. (Terminians should look identicle to hylians considering their ears.) I'll see what I can do with the ears, but I'd haeto redo almost every NPC in the game...
You don't have to do it, but I only give C+C when I think there is some more potential to be gained.

On a side note, for magic in my game, we made something similer to Heart Containers called Mana Containers. I'm not sure if the perspective is good or not, but it is as attached. What Can I do with the perspective, because I'm not good with spriting. I'm not a spriter, I'm  coder, if I was a spriter, I wouldn't be on this website. (I wish my spriter would allow me to post her sprites on this website.)
Mana Containers? Why start using the word Mana, why not just keep to Magic, like in every Zelda game. It kind of makes me think more of the Mana games.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 08:21:42 am »
Instead of double posting, you can also just modify your last post. There is a nice little button that says "Modify" at the top of the post.
I somtimes don't use it becuase I for one sometimes don't notice updates.
You don't have to do it, but I only give C+C when I think there is some more potential to be gained.
I just realised C+C was constructive critisim. Now to figure out what 56 Thouse warning means. (Guessing it has to do with large images.)
Mana Containers? Why start using the word Mana, why not just keep to Magic, like in every Zelda game. It kind of makes me think more of the Mana games.
Sorry, I'm religiouse and I started remembering in the bible, god used Mana, not magic. That means that the 3 Goddeses would have used Mana. And you get my point. Also, Heart Containers arn't called Life Containers, so why should Mana Containers be called Magic containers?

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 08:24:23 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

It's the same reason I mentioned in the Spirit Mythes thread in concepts--- The game's being developed very generic-RPG like and less Zelda like :\ As mentioned---

http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=36068.msg403468#msg403468

here^

I somtimes don't use it becuase I for one sometimes don't notice updates.
I just realised C+C was constructive critisim. Now to figure out what 56 Thouse warning means. (Guessing it has to do with large images.)
Sorry, I'm religiouse and I started remembering in the bible, god used Mana, not magic. That means that the 3 Goddeses would have used Mana. And you get my point. Also, Heart Containers arn't called Life Containers, so why should Mana Containers be called Magic containers?

... You do know that "Mana" in the bible is "angel food", or more specifically, "bread", right?

If you're making a religious Zelda, might as well cut the goddesses out as well :P
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 08:28:55 am »
It's the same reason I mentioned in the Spirit Mythes thread in concepts--- The game's being developed very generic-RPG like and less Zelda like :\ As mentioned---

http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=36068.msg403468#msg403468

here^
I Actualy lost hte idea of Alchemy and went with Mythical Sychology. I also don't support RPG's since I played Mabinogi. The only RPG I support is the one my friend is trying to create.
... You do know that "Mana" in the bible is "angel food", or more specifically, "bread", right?
If you're making a religious Zelda, might as well cut the goddesses out as well :P
Yes, god made many Mana after (or was it before) he made it rain sulferic water (Acid Rain).
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 08:35:52 am »
Just pointing out, that if you want to create a Zelda fan game, do not reinvent the most basic and familiar stuff of the series. Just a small advice. Unless you also have magic and Mana is something completely different.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 02:47:39 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
It would help if you further elaborated on what the Mana Containers do... Personally I think those sprites look good (the royal family... not so much). But do they increase magic capacity (in which case stay with Magic, not Mana), or is it something else as Niek suggested? And if you're making a Zelda game, at least keep the basics in; don't make a completely original game and throw Zelda characters into it. Honestly, as I see it, you could do much more with this as an IP than as a fan game. And then we wouldn't !@#$% at you for throwing out the basic Zelda stuff! See, it's win-win! Plus, you could possibly make money off of it!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 03:05:31 am »
(Doesn't know what IP is.) Do you mean IP Adress? Look at the recent zelda games. They arn't trying to copy another game, they are starting from scratch. As am I. I'm trying to make a unique game that has concepts and ideas of the Zelda Universe. While, at the same time, questiong their cultural and religouse self beings. Mana containors contribute to your magic bar. Mana containors have the same general use as Heart containors, except that they are a little more difficult to obtain and the more length of your magic bar, the weaker your magic is. Unlike Heart Containors, Mana Containors can be removed and re-added.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 03:11:21 am »
IP: Independent Project. See: The Shadowgazer. Basically, it's a game with everything original in it, like RoNF.

And they aren't starting completely from scratch. You still play as Link, you still collect rupees, you still have to collect medallions/etc., you still have to... You get the idea.

Your idea is that you don't play as Link (instead it's someone named Sen, or Zelda). Well, I see your point.

And, relating to magic, the longer the bar, the weaker your magic? I don't think that magic capacity should have anything to do with magic strength, personally. I do like the idea that the containers can be unequipped though.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 03:59:36 am »
IP: Independent Project. See: The Shadowgazer. Basically, it's a game with everything original in it, like RoNF.
In that case, I would consider this and IP with a zelda theme.
And they aren't starting completely from scratch. You still play as Link, you still collect rupees, you still have to collect medallions/etc., you still have to... You get the idea.

Your idea is that you don't play as Link (instead it's someone named Sen, or Zelda). Well, I see your point.
Well, besides the link thing, I still followed the three basic rules.
And, relating to magic, the longer the bar, the weaker your magic? I don't think that magic capacity should have anything to do with magic strength, personally. I do like the idea that the containers can be unequipped though.
Well think of it the way I see it. If you work out an d exercise, you maintain or increase your health reducing your chance to fail. But a Monarchy, with more power (or magic) is doomed to fail do to power hungrieness or inability to sustain.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 04:29:01 am »
I see your point.

One thing though: It's either an IP or a fan game. It can't be both; that's where your problem lies. Either change a few story elements (such as locations, characters, items, etc.) to make it an IP, or change a few terms and features (such as Mana Containers... make them Magic Containers at least) and make it a fan game. It can't be both.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 04:32:34 am »
Fine. If it isn't a fan game, IP, or both, then it is niether of the two. Happy? Doesn't matter what you call it, it is just what it is.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 04:35:02 am »
I wasn't criticizing you at all, Random. I was merely pointing out the fact that it can't be both. Mammy's basically said that you have an IP with Zelda elements. As I see it, you can't have a Zelda fan game if only the base elements of the series are present; you need more than that.

Regardless of that, work on the ears. They look like Doritos are sticking out of their heads.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 01:01:47 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Fine. If it isn't a fan game, IP, or both, then it is niether of the two. Happy? Doesn't matter what you call it, it is just what it is.
You're right, it really doesn't matter. However, technically, Spirit Mythes is a fan-game. I see where Mirby is coming from and I see where you (Random) are coming from. The important thing is for the game to make sense and for its elements to work together.

It seems that the definitions of "mana" and "magic" are a problem.

ABOUT MANA:
Mana doesn't only mean "bread" and all that... actually, "manna" is what Mammy was thinking of. It is sometimes spelled without one of the "n"'s though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manna

"Mana" is usually defined as the source of magical powers or a supernatural force can also be the meaning.

Castle of the Winds uses mana as magic power:
(look in the bottom-right corner under "HP")
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlmajfSvYUw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlmajfSvYUw</a>
(btw, music in vid = WIN)

Some definitions of "mana":
A supernatural force believed to dwell in a person or sacred object.
in some indigenous beliefs, as in Polynesia, a dynamic supernatural power or influence dwelling in and flowing from certain individuals, spirits, or things and capable of producing great good or evil

With that said, Random: The problem is that Zelda games always use magic, so Zelda gamers are familiar with that term. However, the term "mana" is very foreign to the Zelda series. If someone plays your game, they see Zelda stuff, and then they see... mana?... = confused player.

So, yes, mana would generally make sense to be a source of magical power in an RPG game (or any kind of IP), but it doesn't make sense to be in a game that would be viewed as a Zelda fan game. For it to make sense, you'd probably have to lose the term "mana" or lose the game's connection to Zelda. I believe that is what Mirby was trying to point out?

OR, if you MUST use the term "mana", then make sure to point out that "mana" is the source of the character's magic power. Still, I personally find it a little weird to have mana in a Zelda-based game.

Regardless of that, work on the ears. They look like Doritos are sticking out of their heads.

Agreed. Dang you Mirby! Now I'm hungry! I want something... BOLD and manly!
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 01:05:58 am »
That is exactly what I was trying to point out, FF. Thanks!

• Mirby Studios
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 75 queries.

anything