Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Submission] Soldiers of Hyrule  (Read 4049 times)

[Submission] Soldiers of Hyrule
« on: June 06, 2012, 07:17:21 pm »
  • It's just Max.
I tried to be less confusing with the title, but it's hard. In my town there's a car care of reynoldsburg and a reynoldsburg car care, so I can sympathize with any confusion :p

Hylian Soldier
The basic town peacekeepers are all finely brought up young men from the rich side of Hyrule. They keep their town in proper order, which means keeping the poor, thieving slobs from the slums out.

Behavior: Default
Attacks:
-Ask to leave. No physical damage.

The soldiers all have areas to which they're assigned, such as the market or a particular street. When Link wanders into their area, they tail him, keeping a little distance. They'll just watch for him to do something illegal, like attack somebody or pickpocket or anything, and if Link is seen doing something, they'll go into red alert.

If Link hides from the guards for long enough or leaves the area, they'll stop following him. For example, if Link goes around a few corners and is out of the guards sight for 5 seconds or so, or climbs up onto a roof, the guards will lay off their tailing him.

Behavior: Red Alert
Attacks:
-Baton: Attack with a blunt object. 1/4 heart damage. Can be blocked with the shield or a well timed sword swing.
-Slash: Take a swing at Link with their sword or spear. 1/2 heart damage. Can be blocked with the shield or a well timed sword swing.

If Link does anything less than scrupulous and a guard sees or a citizens alerts them, the guards go into red alert. This is a maim first, ask questions later alert. Guards near Link will run after him, and any guards that Link gets near while running away will also be alerted. Earlier in the game, they will only swing batons at him, but later in the game, they'll draw their swords. If Link takes three baton hits, he will fall over and be thrown out of the rich side of town at the nearest exit, rather than just attacked until he dies. The guards are civilized.

A red alert can be reset to default if Link leaves the rich part of town or remains in an area otherwise inaccessible to the guards for long enough, like 20 seconds.

Health
HP: 1 hit to the head (option of the action button when standing directly behind him, can also shoot him with boomerang, hookshot, or bow) will knock him out, like the Gerudo thieves in OoT.
When unconscious, the soldier will fall to the ground with stars spinning above his head for 7-10 seconds. When they get up, they will prompt a red alert.

Notes
Guards will always block sword attacks, and bombs don't affect them, They deflect incoming bombs. They can only be knocked out.

The areas patrolled by guards will become more numerous throughout the game. Initially, there will only be a couple in the market and streets, but later there will be more in the market, and even one or two posted on roofs.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 02:37:25 pm by Donotfeedthemax »
Re: [Submission] Soldiers of Hyrule
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:05:01 am »
  • King of the hoard!
Looks pretty good!  One criticism I have is that it feels awkward for them to be immune to bombs.  I know Link's not supposed to be killing them for story reasons, but perhaps rather than simply be immune they run away or duck for cover at the sight of one.  This also gives the player a last-resort option if there are a lot of them closing in by using up one of his bombs.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:29:27 am »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
you mean by run away at the sight of a bomb, do you mean like the Bokoblins and Moblins in Wind Waker, because they run away at the sight of a bomb.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:33:23 am »
  • King of the hoard!
Yeah, I can see it working like that.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 05:24:25 am »
You kinda shoot the bombs at them, so it is kinda hard to avoid, get scared and run away. Well you know what I think of the killing part. For a petty crime you get the deathpenalty stick just doesn't sit right.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 01:32:08 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
We could take the humor route and have bombs knock them back (since the issue of them being fired was brought up), then they get up in a panic and run away.

Well you know what I think of the killing part. For a petty crime you get the deathpenalty stick just doesn't sit right.

It's really a gameplay element rather than anything story related.  You need SOME incentive to move around with stealth other than "loldontwantogetkickedout."
I guess you haven't played Assassin's parkour where walking on a rooftop is considered a crime punishable by death from every single archer in range.  Further, it gives you incentive to not get caught doing !@#$%.  Pick pocketing a key story item?  Better not get caught, or you're gonna have many more problems on your hands.  It adds a level of difficulty that just wouldn't exist if guards only kicked you out.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:33:55 pm by MG-Zero »

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 04:33:47 pm »
Okay, okay, I give up. Have the death penalty then  :P

I do think that MG's idea of having two types, Guards and Knights, is cool. Maybe we could combine the two ideas somehow?
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:54:02 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Yeah, I agree, the two kinds are cool, we should definitely combine them. Maybe we can have Darknut like guards in the castle, and by the gate.

Actually, I don't know that the player ever goes in the castle... But by the gate, maybe. I was just don't typing when I finished the first post, I type too much :p

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 09:02:25 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
This needs to be cleared up along with MG's post about soldiers.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 02:37:55 pm »
  • It's just Max.
What can be cleared up? I made a slight alteration, changing their behavior to make it a little less annoying, I think.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 02:43:51 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Unless I'm confused, I don't see the difference between yours and MG's submissions.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:34:34 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Ahh, they're pretty minor. My dudes are more chill with Link being in rich town, and therefore a little less annoying, hypothetically. I've also got more specifics about their chasing/attacking behaviour, and about how they can be neutralized. In addition, I've got a different take on what they do after they catch you, MG's soldiers throw in prison for doing nothing and kill for anything, my soldiers watch you closely for doing nothing and throw you out of their district for doing petty illegal stuff, although later in the game they attack you also, but they tend to not kill you if you don't fight back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 58 queries.