Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [WIP] Castlevania: The Accursed Seal  (Read 3680 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
[WIP] Castlevania: The Accursed Seal
« on: July 06, 2008, 06:28:26 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Disclaimer: This is just a WIP; intentions on completion are unknown at this time. I'm working on it during the down time of NaviBlast (paperwork stages), and I may register a booth at NCFC, depending on how far I get in this.

Much like the original Castlevania 2, the storyline is the same. A little more refined, however.

-

You're Simon Belmont, bravest of the brave, boldest of the bold, a gothic
warrior respected by kings.

You earned your praise, not by crushing Viking invaders or Turkish hordes, but
by destroying the evil Count Dracula in a duel to the death at Castlevania.
But your victory proved painful, as the wounds inflicted during the duel
slowly gnawed at your soul.

Visiting you family's graveyard, the curse pulled you into the darkness, and you fell
to the ground; catching a glimpse of an eerie woman who appears to prossess a strange
and soothing aura running to you from amidst the fog.

As your vision began to fade, the woman began to carry you away to the town of Jova...
-

The game starts out with Simon waking up in the village of Jova, in Lucia's house. She informs you that you have been cursed, but she has slowed down it's effects. If not for her you would have been dead at your family grave, however she used her magic and slowed its effects. She further informs you that when Dracula was last defeated, his remains were gathered by his minions and hidden away from mankind, so he can once again rise and claim his throne as ruler of this world. The only way to break the curse is to retrieve Dracula's remains from his disciples, and destroy him once and for all... She leaves the room, off to gather the remains and keep the Belmont legacy going and tells you to stay in bed and rest... A Belmont never avoids his destiny by laying in bed.

~

Story stuff aside, here's some of the proposed features:

-Seamless day to night transition. More like OoT, less 10 second delays. 1 hour = 24 in game hours
-Time limit; 20 days to complete (20 hours).
-New "Best Ending" that was not included in the original Castlevania 2
-Larger world. Town's are larger, Mansions have been restructured (Familiar layout, new design), Paths have been made more unique.
-Better player direction. The player will no longer have to use "Trial and Error" to find their path.
-Level Up, Spell, and Inventory systems like SotN's
-More Bosses!

etc

As it stand's right now, there's some progress, but nothing coherent enough to make a demo. Specific enemy scripts have been completed, etc.

Screenshots are attached to this thread! 2 of them are the in-development tests; showing individual character scripts, etc Really nothing special ATM but I'm working on this daily so yeah we'll see.

It's being coded in BlitzMax, and it will be cross-platform (Mac, PC, Linux)

Sprites: Konami, DJvenom
Music: Konami, Misc Resequencers

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 07:05:56 am by Mamoruanime »
Re: [WIP] Castlevania: The Accursed Seal
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 06:39:33 am »
Seems kind of neat, but to be clear you are going to make it like how the later games in the series were with the more Metroid like maps, correct or incorrect?

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 06:46:34 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Seems kind of neat, but to be clear you are going to make it like how the later games in the series were with the more Metroid like maps, correct or incorrect?

Castlevania 2 was the first Castlevania game with Metroid like maps :p
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:53:14 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
Whoa look at those graphics! I'd sure like to get my hands on that game!

Looking awesome Mammy. Can't wait to play. It'll be my first time playing a Castlevania game. (Well technically second, I played a bit of the first one :P)
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 07:00:14 am »
The release names of the games confused me as Super Castlevania at least seemed like it was not like the current portable versions of the game; I haven't played every Castlevania game.  The second screen you posted looks neat though in the way the background seems perfectly layered into it.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 03:28:11 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I'm currently working on the level designer scripts now, once I get that done I've enlisted DJ to help make maps :D Tis gunna be good
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 05:15:56 pm »
You've certainly got further than when I last saw it :P.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 03:42:50 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
^lol I've only been sending you enemy scripts and fun lil sprite tests XD

Blitz is simple :(

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 04:02:36 am »
  • Drop down and give me 9000!
This looks great, I grew frustrated with the original Castlevania 2 and gave up :P, this is looking rather interesting at this point of time. Good to see you're implementing a level up system and such, exactly what I love to see in a platformer of this type.

I was considering going back to gamemaker due to loads of free time, but blitzmax looks way better.
I like potato.
  • My Myspace

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 04:14:54 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
This looks great, I grew frustrated with the original Castlevania 2 and gave up :P, this is looking rather interesting at this point of time. Good to see you're implementing a level up system and such, exactly what I love to see in a platformer of this type.

I was considering going back to gamemaker due to loads of free time, but blitzmax looks way better.

Yeah; the original Castlevania 2 had some major annoyances... The original level up system added *gasp* a new bar for your health XD it wasn't much...

I'll post my modifications log, or planned modifications thing lol

1. Changes from Original

The original Castlevania 2 doesn't really hold too well with the times. As games have progressed, certain "Annoyances"
have become taboo and are no longer used. Because of this fact, I have made several changes to the original game mechanic.

Here is a list of the changes:

-Day/Night Transitions no longer pause the game.
   This is one of the biggest annoyances with the original Castlevania 2. The 10 second delay between night and day
   has been removed entirely, and a seamless takes place instead.

-Pits/Water Traps have been removed.
   Since this is a "Reimagination" of Castlevania 2, and not a full on remake, I took the liberty to remove pit and water
   hazard elements from the game. I strongly believe that if someone can kill the undead and defeat Dracula, they should
   be able to swim. The need for obsticles like these in an exploration game is more of an annoyance than anything else,
   and unlike its prequel, Castlevania 2 is not a reflex game. Even further, this game is being made more to SotN's
   standard. SotN never had instant-death pits.   

-Outworld has been modified.
   Castlevania 2's original overworld was a mess. You go down stairs, into a cave that is supposed to be under a town,
   and you go one screen to the left and you're instantly outside again in another town, when realistically you should be
   underground still. That always bothered me. So certain transitionary paths have been expanded on.

-Mansion structure is different.
   In the original, Mansions were set up as 2 large rooms. This just isnt practical anymore. Instead, Mansions have been
   restructured to support multiple little rooms, much like SotN. As a result, layouts may be slightly different from the
   original.
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 04:29:10 am »
You should let me voice act ;)
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 04:31:21 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
You should let me voice act ;)

Not unless you're a chick :p

Roles of all vocal spots are taken, except for my made up character Lucia XD

---

Dracula, Death - Mammy
Simon Belmont - DJvenom
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:33:32 am by Mamoruanime »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 08:08:55 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
UPDATTU!

No new screenshots or anything; but-

Ive decided on a map editor and such; I'm using Infinitus' World Artist tool, along with a custom export script to make my maps. It's flawless for what I need :D

If anyone is interested in making maps, lemme know. I'm making some composite tilesets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 61 queries.

anything