Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FSA Gorons  (Read 3654 times)

ZFG

FSA Gorons
« on: April 23, 2010, 04:13:20 pm »
  • ⌘⌥⌫↵⏏⌃
I've been working on a Goron sprite, FSA style practice if you want.

Comments and crits welcome.
Re: FSA Gorons
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 05:40:17 pm »
The first thing I notice is the long neck and the small torso compared to the head. It just does not look like a goron. The perspective is also wrong, when I look at it's face. I don't really like it.

There probably is more wrong. I have always considered FSA style to be a worn down MC sprites with ALttP tiles.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 06:02:19 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
One common mistake almost everyone makes with 3/4th top down perspective sprites is they always design them looking towards the camera. Biggest thing to remember is that the sprite doesn't want to always look up, they want to look forward.

Few crits- I think the only really usable parts on the sprites are the torsos. the arms look a bit odd, but I think they're workable. Otherwise, the heads are way wrong; they're way too high up, and they're facing the camera, instead of forward. The legs in comparison to the shadow appear to be way behind the gorons, making me wonder how they're standing up at all without gravity throwing them downward.

Shading seems alright, though you have some aliasing issues in the head that makes things look a bit awkward as well.

ZFG

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 09:25:24 pm »
  • ⌘⌥⌫↵⏏⌃

Better?
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:22:26 pm »
I just made a super tiny edit, I hope you don't mind. I think it helps the perspective of the head if you round it out rather than pointing it. I also moved the heads down one pixel and really slightly edited some of the shading around his Goron boobs. :P

I really think you did some nice work. :)
  • My Photostream
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 06:37:58 am »
I think SC made a really good modification. But the head still looks wrong. The eyes are still looking at the camera. The anatomical markers where you can determine the gaze of the head.

First see the circle that is the head. Then imagine the line that would cut the circle perfectly in half. When someone is staring right at you the middle of the eyes are positioned on the halfway line. Positioning the eyes higher would result in an upward gaze and positioning the eyes lower in a downward gaze. This you can also use to determine camera. What you want to do is a downward gaze. But you need to shift the mouth, nose and the top of the head along with it.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:03:47 am »
One more super tiny edit based on Niek's crits. Moved the eyes and nose down a pixel.. edited the size on the light spot on top of the head. I think it definitely looks better.  

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:06:05 am by Sprite Collector »
  • My Photostream

ZFG

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 07:54:44 am »
  • ⌘⌥⌫↵⏏⌃
I like it, the colors are wrong though.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 07:59:52 am »
Whoa I dunno how that happened.. I saved it as png. Very strange. :huh:
Glad you like it though. You did everything. :P It's good stuff.
  • My Photostream
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 08:59:22 am »
I like it, the colors are wrong though.

It starts to look nice. My final comment though is about the shadow. You should remove it. as a shadow is never really part of the sprite. Also Mammy had said it before me:

The legs in comparison to the shadow appear to be way behind the gorons, making me wonder how they're standing up at all without gravity throwing them downward.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 09:40:03 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Made a few edits-

Basically gave him a bit more depth given the angle of the camera. I've also modified the legs a bit. Removed the shadow from the sprite, since that's not really good practice for Zelda sprites.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:43:08 am by Mamoruアニメ »

ZFG

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 11:36:57 am »
  • ⌘⌥⌫↵⏏⌃
Um, I'm sorry. I don't like it. To be honest, you kinda ruined it.  :-\ Sorry if I'm rude.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 12:07:40 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Ruined what? The off-angle, or the upward facing belly button? :P I basically just corrected some perspective issues.

ZFG

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 12:10:50 pm »
  • ⌘⌥⌫↵⏏⌃
The belly is wrong now, It was intended to make the belly stand out. The Gorons are fat. I just think the belly disappeared in your mod.
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 02:53:00 pm »
Actually Gorons are large and round, but not fat. They carry a large back, but they hardly have a tummy.

I really like Mammy's edit a lot better. Here is an example of gorons in MC: http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/lozminish/sheet/6389

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 03:19:10 pm »
Yeah, I like Mammys a lot more. You can still see the features of the belly anyway, and it looks much better perspective wise.

For yours, his shoulders seemed tiny or nonexistent.

Xfixium: "Leader"/Lead Programmer/Lead Spriter,  Cypras: Programmer, Ethelon: Tiler/Spriter, Darklink45: Spriter, Noseblunt3: Spriter,
SinkinDevil: Spriter, Dotyue: Spriter, Tompel: Tiler/Spriter, 
Mamoruanime: Tiler, DJvenom: Spriter

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 05:43:19 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
The belly is wrong now, It was intended to make the belly stand out. The Gorons are fat. I just think the belly disappeared in your mod.

Well; the best way to look at it is this way- I've attached an image of how the original one would look to a camera facing the sprite from the front, instead of at a 3/4th perspective.

If you were to reposition the camera on the original one, the head and feet wouldn't be connected, and the goron would be continuously looking upward. The belly button and nipples would be facing up. Finally, the shoulders being nonexistent means the arms would appear to connect awkwardly, and the hands would be way behind the sprite, almost touching the ground. These things need to be corrected for the goron to not look like a ragdoll :P

ZFG

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 05:50:58 pm »
  • ⌘⌥⌫↵⏏⌃
Aha, I see. Thanks for the critics and the improvement tip. I'll do some modifications to fit my likings.  :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:31:56 pm by ZFG »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 74 queries.

anything