Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

I'm doing weekly updates now. What type of updates would you like?

Loooads of text, telling what's going on.
- 0 (0%)
5+ Screenshots
- 1 (8.3%)
1/2 Video Updates
- 1 (8.3%)
Screenshots and Videos (but less)
- 0 (0%)
I don't really care, just get on with the game!
- 10 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SCRAPPED LoZ: The Awakening of a Shadow "The darkness is falling on Ornatus..."  (Read 35929 times)

Re: [Demo] LoZ: The Awakening of a Shadow
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 12:20:06 pm »
do you like the skullltula sprite? i custom made it from the robed stalfos's skull and added legs.
I'll add one of these later.
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 05:29:21 pm »
TRAILER OUT!!!!
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 06:03:44 pm »
The trailer looked okay a couple of days ago. Don't worry. There's no need to double post five times in a row. People will watch it or they won't.
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 06:30:27 pm »
Perhaps he just wants us to give some feedback. To be honest, I've read this topic and watched the trailer but never took the time to post here. I guess we should try to post more often, we ourselves also like it if we get a reply every now and then.

about the trailer:
Its not bad, but there are a few things that I would like to point out.

1.  your trailer shows that the hud sometimes makes it hard to actually see the doors on top of a room
2.  in the rooms where you have to climb on the vines the walls on the side of the room are those like when you walk on the   
     floor, this looks a bit wrong
3.  when you shoot your arrow at the tree switch to make the chest appear you climb high, but your arrow hits almost on the
     ground level. Don't know if this is what you intended, but I would place the switch higher on the tree
4.  it might look better if the text boxes would fit the game screen.
5.  isn't the endboss of the dungeon only to be hit in the eye?

Consider / Improve these points and you have the kind of quality game I like to see and play.
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 09:02:05 pm »
Perhaps he just wants us to give some feedback. To be honest, I've read this topic and watched the trailer but never took the time to post here. I guess we should try to post more often, we ourselves also like it if we get a reply every now and then.

about the trailer:
Its not bad, but there are a few things that I would like to point out.

1.  your trailer shows that the hud sometimes makes it hard to actually see the doors on top of a room
2.  in the rooms where you have to climb on the vines the walls on the side of the room are those like when you walk on the  
     floor, this looks a bit wrong
3.  when you shoot your arrow at the tree switch to make the chest appear you climb high, but your arrow hits almost on the
     ground level. Don't know if this is what you intended, but I would place the switch higher on the tree
4.  it might look better if the text boxes would fit the game screen.
5.  isn't the endboss of the dungeon only to be hit in the eye?

Consider / Improve these points and you have the kind of quality game I like to see and play.

EDIT:
Woooah, headrush! Umm let's see..
1. It's being fixed as i said in another post.
2. I don't know what's the problem.. they are just walls....
3. Sure.. no problem.
4. I.. um... don't have pro... yeah.. if anyone can make a text engine for lite- um... HUGE CREDITS!!
5. Yeah.. well, it's just a demo, so it's just to test the level. All of those details will be added in the next (with a story) demo.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:11:32 am by The Boy »
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 06:28:31 am »
I watched the trailer it went by really fast actually, that it was difficult to see what was going on. But I have to agree on Atomicd1's points. For a solution on the HUD there are a few options, but first I'd like to point out the following. The graphics style you are using is actually an enhanced GB style. Unfortunately a transparant HUD does not work with GB style, even an enhanced one. Just make the back of the HUD opaque. People won't see what is beneath it, but that does not matter because the view is really obscured there any ways. Now for room top solutions.

1) You make the HUD separate from the viewport and the viewport if the game does not cover the entire screen. The viewport actually starts underneath the HUD and ends at the bottom of the screen. I know it is possible, but I can't just say how to do it, without experimenting first.

2) This one is bit more crude, but it is easier to implement. First I assume that your HUD is the size of 1 or 2 tiles and not the size of partial tiles. Now you add a number of rows of dummy tiles equal to the height of your HUD to your gamemaker room. If you work with view boundaries within the gamemaker room you need to move the top boundary the height of your HUD up. This allows for a clear view of the top walls and doors and if the HUD is opaque those dummy tiles and all are obscured by the HUD.

Well keep up the good work and one month you'll make it to the Sponsored section or become Project of the Month.
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 06:31:17 am »

1.  your trailer shows that the hud sometimes makes it hard to actually see the doors on top of a room

Ooh, headrush! Umm let's see..
For your first question, yeah, I know it looks a bit odd, but I can't think of anything to do about  it.. I'd anyone can, I'll be in your dept!
I'll finish this post later when I am at a real computer, typing on my iPod is so hard and tedious.

All you do is sprite the rooms smaller so that the top parts are below the hud and make the hud opaque........

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 07:03:35 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Or simply don't use a bar HUD.

It almost always looks horrible when people use transparent bar HUDs when they're doing GB styled games. It's so much better to either use a solid bar without transparency, or come up with an entirely new HUD solution.
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 08:22:43 am »
Oh yeah before I forget. I like the third menu option.

And one more thing. The graphics look custom made. Did you make them yourself or did someone else made them. Those Bongo Bongo's look somehow familiar.
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 03:17:01 pm »

And one more thing. The graphics look custom made. Did you make them yourself or did someone else made them. Those Bongo Bongo's look somehow familiar.
yeah, I custom made most of the spites except for some of the basic enemys which were from that purple sheet on the recourses section. The bongobongo one was an edited one of one of the sprites  for the tooted community project. I custom made the skulltula sprites from scratch.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:59:19 am by The Boy »
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 03:21:27 pm »
Wait.. I've got it! I could make a second view and set it to be 16 pixels above the main one!  XD

Brutus

Kirby Master
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 12:02:23 am »
This really is the most impressive game I've seen since the shadowgazer. Great Job! I'm looking forward to more demos
if place_free(x,y,z) {wrong number of arguments to function or script}
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2010, 09:57:13 am »
Sorry about the lack of updates lately- i've not been on my computer in ages...
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2010, 10:11:15 am »

yeah, I custom made most of the spites except for some of the basic enemys which were from that purple sheet on the recourses section. The bongobongo one was an edited one of one of the sprites  for the tooted community project. I custom made the skulltula sprites from scratch.
Ah well, you might want to credit the people, whose work you have used or edited. It is just proper manners.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 10:15:44 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
This really is the most impressive game I've seen since the shadowgazer. Great Job! I'm looking forward to more demos

I don't really think it's possible to agree here at all and probably not fair to even say. Not discrediting this project in the least bit, but the Shadowgazer was one of the most well thought out and well put-together projects aesthetically as well as structurally. It's one of the few Zelda fangames to come into it's own and work as a standalone game. I can't really say the same for this project. While it looks like it might eventually become a fun game, it's just not quite to that point yet. It looks like a new project through and through and there's no clear direction whatsoever with it; and no offense to The Boy at all, but it is definitely apparent that it's more of a beginners project. I say that only because there are conflicting perspectives, overlayed tiles that don't mix well, and coloring issues on a lot of sprites and tiles. Even in description the game sounds like it hasn't come into it's own yet in terms of development.

I suggest you peruse the boards a bit more and ignore the Shadowgazer thread. Take a look at the current OoT2d project for example.

Anyway; that aside; best of luck with the game. Take a look into some of the issues I mentioned, but keep at it and you'll get it down.

Brutus

Kirby Master
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 04:52:22 pm »
I would have to disagree with that because I thought the gameplay in this was very smooth. The only thing is that this game lacks a good plot, and the graphics aren't very good. But other than that I though it was fun to play. Also, I highly doubt that KingMob actually decided to turn the shadowgazer into an "original game." I think that he was probably just forced to quit working on it and he didn't want to reveal why e.g. he was forced to quit by nintendo or maybe he was in college and he got so into his game that he failed his classes or something. He seemed dedicated enough that he wouldn't have just quit for no reason.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 07:36:10 pm »
  • .越//
I would have to disagree with that because I thought the gameplay in this was very smooth. The only thing is that this game lacks a good plot, and the graphics aren't very good. But other than that I though it was fun to play.

Mamoru talked about generally about the games design, other than the shadowgazer this game lacks enough thought in evvery direction to be as good as the shadowgazer, but maybe that comes in time... some projects are reqorked over and over and show those kind of quality only after years

Also, I highly doubt that KingMob actually decided to turn the shadowgazer into an "original game." I think that he was probably just forced to quit working on it and he didn't want to reveal why e.g. he was forced to quit by nintendo or maybe he was in college and he got so into his game that he failed his classes or something. He seemed dedicated enough that he wouldn't have just quit for no reason.

K_M was mailed by a known recruiter for game companys if you look through the topics, there is somewhere is name mentoned and you can google him without problems

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

Brutus

Kirby Master
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 11:02:51 pm »
What do I search to google him?

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 12:47:51 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I would have to disagree with that because I thought the gameplay in this was very smooth. The only thing is that this game lacks a good plot, and the graphics aren't very good. But other than that I though it was fun to play. Also, I highly doubt that KingMob actually decided to turn the shadowgazer into an "original game." I think that he was probably just forced to quit working on it and he didn't want to reveal why e.g. he was forced to quit by nintendo or maybe he was in college and he got so into his game that he failed his classes or something. He seemed dedicated enough that he wouldn't have just quit for no reason.

Highlighted text is precisely what I mean by it not being anywhere near the quality of Shadowgazer. Gameplay is also very choppy and overcrowded at times even in the video. There are a lot of aesthetic things that need to be changed to rank this game up from beginner to at least intermediate in design. Shadowgazer had everything well put together. Plot, graphics, gameplay. Everything worked in unison.

As for saying what KM did or didn't do; I don't think you should praise his game in one minute and then discredit him in the next :P It's very disrespectful.

Plain and simply put; it needs a lot of work. You can't compare a kindergarten painting to a Michaelangelo original; but that kindergärtner could do works of wonder in time.
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 01:01:49 pm »
Just to say, this project IS NOT DEAD! I have been working on it as well as other things, and i might soon finish the FINAL demo 1 : IE Forest bit and just starting the game!  8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 78 queries.

anything