Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D movies just a way to milk more money out of people?  (Read 2095 times)

3D movies just a way to milk more money out of p...
« on: September 08, 2010, 04:44:43 am »
Over time movies have gotten more and more expensive to go and see. Years ago they tried the 3D move trend, eventually stopping them to play normal movies. Now 3D is back with a vengence. Am i the only one who think's 3D movies are pointless? Maybe it's the fact that i haven't actually gone to see a movie in 3D, but i really feel no need to. Seems like a novelty. One that makes movies more expensive to go see.

It used to be that Theaters would make the brunt of their money from the Concesion stands, not anymore, now its both that at Movie Ticket prices that you have to pay extra for just so you can use 3D glasses for an 1 and a half.

The Last Airbender
Paranaha's 3D
Resident Evil Afterlife 3D
Saw 3D

Plus i'm sure movies i'm forgetting. It's getting to the point where it seems you will be spending $40 on tickets just to pay for the movie, not counting food and drinks, if you decide to buy them.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Re: 3D movies just a way to milk more money out ...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 04:46:28 am »
They're putting the last Harry Potter in 2 parts AND in 3d.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:50:58 am »
They're putting the last Harry Potter in 2 parts AND in 3d.

Sheesh them too, it seems like within the next year or so every movie will try and be in 3D. I'm assuming that also raises production costs quite a bit. Hell even games are moving towards 3D with Sony and it's Playstation 3 games and their expensive as hell 3D tv, and  Nintendo with the 3DS, at least Nintendo you don't need any special TV's, the 3DS displays the 3D.

Jeod

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:55:52 am »
Nintendo is business as usual. Always trying to 1-up everyone else. They're losing the magic they had, just like Disney.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:59:59 am »
Nintendo is business as usual. Always trying to 1-up everyone else. They're losing the magic they had, just like Disney.

Maybe, but i'm definitely looking forward to the 3DS games, OoT 3D, Star Fox 64 DS, Persona DS, SMT DS, RE DS, many many more. Just really announced and shown off, and it already has more games then the !@#$% stain that is the DSi.

Jeod

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:03:16 am »
I admit they've always led the way in handhelds. Still, given the current history, I'll be waiting until I see how Microsoft and Sony do. (360 turned out better than the Wii in terms of games)

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:34:00 am »
I still wonder if Microsoft will enter the hand-held market like everyone expects them to.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 10:31:22 am »
Yep, it's a way to milk people.
I didn't even like seeing Avatar in 3D. Took me half the movie to get used to the perspective. It's nice that Pixar usually does not make the 3D effect too much 'in your face', but then, what's the point.

I'll just wait until they invent holodecks.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 12:16:27 pm »
Pretty much. It was just a Marketing-hit to bring people back to the cinema and the reduce piracy (and of course, raise the ticket price), and look at the world, everyone is obsessed with the a f-ing visual effect they insist on calling 3D, "3D games" (have every game before been 2D?), 3D televisions (watched a soccer game, and the only difference I noticed was the scoreboard), 3D movies, 3D glasses (people look so ridiculous) and all that...
It's not really anything thaaat special, and people are so influenced and the world is not obsessed.

I'm looking forward for the 3DS, but it is because of the games, being Nintendo, there's Zelda and all the stuff, I'm not running to it like crazy because it says "twee-dee".
My girlfriend has "fallen into it", and now I have to pay €6 extra for every single time I want to take her to the cinema, and she calls me a "complaining old man who does not like new stuff" because I wouldn't spare "€3000" in a fricking 3D television if I had the chance (oh wow so cool >_<).

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 01:55:35 pm »
  • b e p i s
I saw Avatar in 3D and it was the first movie where I thought the 3D was truly revolutionary. It didn't feel tacked on, and really gave the film a heightened sense of immersion. Personally I think 3D like that, the natural looking 3D, is the future of filmmaking.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 06:54:08 pm »
they insist on calling 3D, "3D games" (have every game before been 2D?)
Actually this new 3D effect is properly called "Real 3D".

To me, I think the visual effect is pleasing. I like the effect. Especially, now that the emphasis is more on the depth into the screen, like looking through a window, instead of having things pop out. However since that 1 in 2 movies is made in Real 3D I have been going less to the cinema as before. Always if I want to see a movie I check if it is in "Real 3D". If so I won't go and see the movie, if not I will see the movie. Seems like a contradiction doesn't it.

Well my problem is with the freaking glasses. I am a person who is already wearing glasses. Having another set of glasses is just crowding my face. I can't take off my glasses because I will see the movie in a blur. And having the Real 3D glasses over my own... Well they keep falling off. I don't have a Pinocchio nose. I tried it once though and I missed 75% of the movie, because I was fiddling with the glasses.

No as long as Real 3D means having a set of annoying glasses on my nose I won't give in and ignore it. But to Real 3D without the glasses I would say "gimme, gimme, gimme!"
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 07:32:30 pm »
Contact lenses?
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 07:42:57 pm »
No thanks, contacts suck. Tried them once. Hurt like hell. A little bit of dust and I couldn't see anything for minutes.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 06:29:36 pm »
  • 笑い男
Anyone ever had the problem of trying to judge a jump in a 3D (game on 2D screen but displayed in 3D like many games up until now) and failed because they couldn't judge the distance, say if you're looking from behind the character which is jumping away from/towards the screen?
I'm sure this problem is known to many people, because you can't judge distance correctly with just 2 dimensions.
This'll be changed with true 3D.
Things like this will be great, as well as obviously adding in more immersion if designed correctly.

Of course a load of idiots are just trying to cash in and making it into a terrible fad though.
Can't blame them though. It's something that's getting big and they want money :/

You really should experience something first though to really see how it is, as trying to comprehend something you've never experienced before can be rather hard.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Subterfuge

Hero of Effin' Time
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 09:09:52 pm »
  • Hero of Effin' Time
It's getting redundant to add "in 3D" at the end of movie commercials.
That which binds us...

Sets us free...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 68 queries.