Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Humanity  (Read 6490 times)

Nebetsu

Harbinger
Humanity
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:52:33 pm »
   Our race, as a whole, is very much in love with it's own sense of humanity and what it truly means to be human. The trouble is, everything breaks down and becomes more than a little unpleasant when we try to define what that actually means. The first things that usually come to mind are the noble “Hollywood” traits: notions such as love, honour, or conscious thought. But does not a dog care for her young? Don't bears defend their territory if another animal trespasses against it? Doesn't a snake evaluate the situation before it strikes? If were are going to define what makes us human, we have to find what traits we posses that other animals do not. One might say that our ability to change our environment for personal gain makes us unique, however beavers will decimate large forests with floods and dams.
   So what sets us apart? What makes is human? The answer is hatred. There is no other creature in this world that could possibly wish the ill-fate of another for a futile attempt at some sort of emotional relief. A hippopotamus will kill to protect it's space. A wolf will kill for dominance. A lion will kill to eat for another day. However none of these animals will kill because it would “make them feel better”.
   Now the question I would like to leave you with is this: If a person was unable to hate, would that make him “inhuman”? And is that necessarily a bad thing?

• Yiddish Nebbish
Re: Humanity
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 10:06:23 pm »
I can sum up humanity.

"Buggered"

I really cannot find one point to like about Humanity, sure there are some people that break the mold and to them I think they are great. Other then that Humans are just narcissistic, parasitic, vulgar and basically doomed to the arsehole of which it came.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 10:22:17 pm »
Screw all this pseudo intellectual nonsense.

It's obviously our higher intelligence that sets us apart from animals.

/thread

Nebetsu

Harbinger
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 10:38:01 pm »

/thread

Elaborate "higher intelligence"

• Yiddish Nebbish
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:55:34 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine

/thread

The same higher intelligence that has led to the creation of guns, nuclear weapons etc?
Or the higher intelligence polluting the atmosphere?
Or maybe the intelligence that has led to things such as Racial hatred?
Seriously, when was the last time you saw a cat being picked on by other cats for having different colour fur.

Infact... screw humanity. Im going to join the animal kingdom.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 11:26:02 pm »
  • :3
   Our race, as a whole, is very much in love with it's own sense of humanity and what it truly means to be human. The trouble is, everything breaks down and becomes more than a little unpleasant when we try to define what that actually means. The first things that usually come to mind are the noble “Hollywood” traits: notions such as love, honour, or conscious thought. But does not a dog care for her young? Don't bears defend their territory if another animal trespasses against it? Doesn't a snake evaluate the situation before it strikes? If were are going to define what makes us human, we have to find what traits we posses that other animals do not. One might say that our ability to change our environment for personal gain makes us unique, however beavers will decimate large forests with floods and dams.
   So what sets us apart? What makes is human? The answer is hatred. There is no other creature in this world that could possibly wish the ill-fate of another for a futile attempt at some sort of emotional relief. A hippopotamus will kill to protect it's space. A wolf will kill for dominance. A lion will kill to eat for another day. However none of these animals will kill because it would “make them feel better”.
   Now the question I would like to leave you with is this: If a person was unable to hate, would that make him “inhuman”? And is that necessarily a bad thing?

Chimpanzees hate. In fact they have exhibited gang behaviour, where they attacked another rival group of chimps, and killed one of them by ripping its balls and nails off. Seriously. I think it was an Attenborough documentary. Oh, and elephants in fact- they will kill out of hate. In India, there has been an unusual amount of killings caused by elephants to their owners. They even have the cunning to attack them in their sleep, and actually find where they sleep before killing them, as they obviously grow to hate them. They are made to stand in the hot sun all day at festivals listening to all sorts of what to them is strange noises, and can't get away. They become very stressed because of this, and it's all the worse if they happen to have gotten in while in musth. So yeah, nothing sets us apart from the animal kingdom. Humanity is a term derived for our civilization of rules and hierarchy, nothing more. If there is no humanity, we live as animals. It's just a term for living in a more sophisticated way than animals. In fact, our homes and buildings are essentially nothing more than the mud huts and caves we used to frequent hundreds of thousands of years ago. We simply made them more sturdy, found better materials etc. Everything is simply progression, simply because we have the brain power and the capability of recording things to remember and improve upon. If anything, that's our only superiority over animals- the intelligence/brain power to record what is in our mind on something, and of course our incredible memories and learning abilities. Now you might say our intelligence will obviously set us apart because if we're the only ones with the ability to express our memory, we are the only ones capable of acting upon hatred. But hatred is just an emotion- well it's not conscious anyway. If you take bad care of your dog, it will grow to dislike you, it will also learn what foods it does and does not like. So it is acting upon its dislikes, because it obviously won't eat a lot of a food it doesn't like.

The answer is simply our cognitive/thinking abilities over other animals and dexterity sets us apart. We can can all think on our feet and make decisions in the blink of an eye in any situation. Our minds are so incredibly fast and our bodies are so versatile that we can do so much more than any other animal.

As for racial hatred, primates and other intelligent life forms will reject what's different, but again we simply do it on a higher level. As for the creation of weapons, primates again are similar in the fact they use tools for various things, yet we simply have the wit to apply things to one another.

tl;dr we're more intelligent and fortunately have the physical abilites to go with it. End.
Gannon-banned brother.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 11:35:28 pm »
The same higher intelligence that has led to the creation of guns, nuclear weapons etc?

Yes.

And the same higher intelligence figuring out ways to clean it up?

Or the intelligence that caused the civil rights movement.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a cat being picked on by other cats for having different colour fur.

When was the last time you saw a cat build computers and spaceships?

And nothing of value was lost.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 04:38:40 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I like to view Humanity as it is, a part of the Animal Kingdom. Humans, Chimps, Fish, Dolphins, Spiders, we're all Animals and all driven by largely similar instincts. Perhaps the key separating factor is the seemingly natural drive to try to explain everything, followed by the fearful rejection of every other eventuality until a battle of the memes breaks out. I'd argue this natural drive is humans one 'saving grace' from the Animal Kingdom and the main condemning thing about humanity, because it makes it practically guaranteed we will, one day, blow ourselves up.

Quote from: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 04:42:24 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 04:46:34 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine

Yes.

And the same higher intelligence figuring out ways to clean it up?

Or the intelligence that caused the civil rights movement.

And nothing of value was lost.

[/quote

I hardly think that the fact that there have been movements to counter the points i made mean we're a higher intelligence. At most that makes us even, on a same level as the rest of the animal kingdom.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 06:46:04 pm »
I hardly think that the fact that there have been movements to counter the points i made mean we're a higher intelligence. At most that makes us even, on a same level as the rest of the animal kingdom.

I don't remember ever seeing animals posting in debate topics ON THE INTERNET.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 07:22:55 pm »

Ever seen the show "Samurai Pizza Cats"?

And to answer the other quote, I see fur-cial discrimination all the time.  My parents have five cats for some reason, (two white, two gray, and one black).  The white pair and the gray pair sometimes have turf-wars over the living room.  Sometimes the gray and white cats team together and beat the !@#$% out of the black one.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 09:05:37 pm »

Ever seen the show "Samurai Pizza Cats"?

And to answer the other quote, I see fur-cial discrimination all the time.  My parents have five cats for some reason, (two white, two gray, and one black).  The white pair and the gray pair sometimes have turf-wars over the living room.  Sometimes the gray and white cats team together and beat the !@#$% out of the black one.

Racists!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 10:12:29 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Kyubi, this is the Debates forum, not spam, please try to keep your thoughts backed up or at least not spammy.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 10:16:06 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Kyubi, this is the Debates forum, not spam, please try to keep your thoughts backed up or at least not spammy.

You mean Swiftu, right? Kyubi posted a very good debate-esque post :P

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 03:45:17 am »

Oh hush. I'm just better at summarizing things.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 12:43:51 am »
  • :3

Yeah, WTF?

As for the question at hand, "if one was unable to hate would that be a good thing", it would be terrible. The sadists of our society would reign supreme, and there would be no righteousness. We'd be in even worse condition than we are already.
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 01:16:45 am »
lmao You've all got it all wrong. (unless someone else mentioned this also, because I didn't read all replies... >.>)

The thing that makes us human is simply greed.
Greed is the root of all evil. The root of all hate.

You've only scratched the surface when you called out "hate" as the main issue.
It's not. Greed is deeper than hate; greed is the cause of hate.
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 02:04:48 am »
lmao You've all got it all wrong. (unless someone else mentioned this also, because I didn't read all replies... >.>)

Greed is simply the most obvious root of evil (simply because we live in a society with an emphasis on greed).
  • Google Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 02:29:25 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.

Greed is simply the most obvious root of evil (simply because we live in a society with an emphasis on greed).
Yah, I think pride is a pretty big evil as well. If people wouldn't be so full of themselves and accept other people as being the same...well, alot of things would be better.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 02:40:42 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Ok, I'd like to present a question to all those people who think that humans are NOT animals:
Where is the line between humanity and animals?
Think about it, we are just more intelligent animals. It's like comparing chimpanzees to chickens or animals with less intelligence. Both are still animals.
We are just too proud to accept it.

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 89 queries.