Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rightousness  (Read 2717 times)

Rightousness
« on: March 01, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I thought of this when I read the Oscar Wilde quote: There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.

Right and Wrong do exist, but they are not related in any way to absolute ideas about moral and immoral. Instead, righteousness is just a representation of the surrounding worlds way of measuring success.

Discuss (the Right and Wrong one).
Agree?
Disagree?
Think I'm a complete nut who deserves to be shot?
All of the above?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 10:25:56 am by TheDarkJay »
Re: Rightousness
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 11:52:57 pm »
  • I need something new to put here...
Right and Wrong are what humanity is brought up on, basically, it's judgement. For someone or something to be classified as right or wrong, the majority will have to think that way. Say, for instance, Adolf Hitler and WWII, the majority beleive hitler was a nut and deserved to be shot, therefore, he was classified as bad.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 12:31:04 am »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
Meh. I think there is such a thing as right and wrong, and actions can carry them. Books count as actions, so a book can be an action of good or evil, but not not evil in itself.
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 12:39:29 am »
  • :3
Well if you look at Hitler, a lot of all the !@#$% that happened was blamed on him when he didn't do much of it. He actually sat around at his private home a lot watching films all day. I'm serious. It was his insane followers such as Rudolf Hess who worshipped him that caused the various atrocities of Nazi Germany. Although he did go about conspiring hatred against the Jews.
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 04:14:59 am »
Adolf Hitler and WWII, the majority beleive hitler was a nut and deserved to be shot, therefore, he was classified as bad.

That was sarcasm, right?

Thing I'm a complete nut who deserves to be shot?

Any last words? ;D
ZFGC Veteran since 2004
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:26:58 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
Adolf Hitler and WWII, the majority beleive hitler was a nut and deserved to be shot, therefore, he was classified as bad.

That was sarcasm, right?
No, he was just saying that if the majority had thought Hitler was good, then he would have been good.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 04:11:07 am »

That was sarcasm, right?
No, he was just saying that if the majority had thought Hitler was good, then he would have been good.

I couldn't disagree anymore then. In my opinion, thinking good and evil as nothing more than relative opinions is--no offense--moronic.
ZFGC Veteran since 2004
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 10:50:24 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Explain. Good and Evil are just buzz words, because in the end, you can't define evil.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 11:24:46 am »
  • I need something new to put here...

That was sarcasm, right?

I couldn't disagree anymore then. In my opinion, thinking good and evil as nothing more than relative opinions is--no offense--moronic.

Good and Bad are both judgements. I may think a Dog is bad because it bit me. It's owner has seen it being a warm friend. We have two judgements on it. Just like beauty.

They are also judgements, but on actions. A good action may be donating money to Charity. A bad action may be commiting theft. Just like to some Americans Invading Iraq was a good action, while to others, it was the worst option possible.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 05:24:06 pm »

That was sarcasm, right?

Actually it makes a lot of sense. Hitlers followers followed him because they thought what they was doing was good. Saddams followers aswell, Osamas, yada yada yada. Now in the viewpoint of their men, we're the evil people...as proven by the constant suicide bombing and what not.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 04:51:41 am »
  • b e p i s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorical_imperative

Immanuel Kant, motherfuckers, DO YOU READ HIM?
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 12:43:17 pm »
Haha unbelievably I do. Well I had to, for my Relgious GCSE. He's all about the categorical imperative right. Well, I'm not sure I agree with that because no law is universal. Heck even the golden rule "Do unto others that you would have done to yourself" isn't universal, because lets face it, not everyone likes being treated the way you do. If you are a masochist and like being hurt, thats no reason to go around attacking other people. So I would argue against the existence of a definitive, right and wrong, because it all depends on circumstances. In my eyes, theres only better and worse, not right and wrong. Because those two options, are too, black and white, too absolute. Right and wrong are just extremes.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 01:33:54 am »
Oscar Wilde is universally right, and that's all that matters.
  • Google Profile
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 62 queries.