Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Have humans outgrown evolution?  (Read 6644 times)

Have humans outgrown evolution?
« on: March 03, 2008, 03:17:41 am »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
Yeah, I was thinking about how people put so much effort into keeping alive those who would otherwise have died before age three if they had to be out fighting for survival. There are some people that can't even go out in the sun without risking death. We've grown to the point where we no longer have to adapt to suit the environment; we can adapt the environment to suit us. What do you think will become of this?
This subject came to mind when I was re-watching Elfen Lied (awesome anime, if you're into that), and I thought about how the Diclonius were said to be the "next stage in human evolution", and that they "could end humanity as we know it". I was thinking that even though it will most likely not reach the scale of killer psychic powers, there might be some violent, powerful adaptation in humans (come to think of it, Akira explores the same concept) would appear and spread, while those weak who are allowed to survive and reproduce become more and more abundant. This will lead to a society fill with fragile people. Such a mutation, Diclonius level or below, would easily cause humanity to crumble, letting letting the new breeds of humans take over. The idea here is that there will be a force that not only resists human survival and reproduction, but one that attacks it directly, and that it will most likely rise from humans themselves.
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
Re: Have humans outgrown evolution?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:34:15 am »
We are actually becoming more evolved..

Haven't you ever heard of X-men?

I kid, I kid. But yeah, we're certainly not using evolution much at all. Modern society has made surviving a lot easier, so we don't get any large changes in our population. Having something like diclonious happen is extremely unlikely, as we don't have any reason to evolve those things. Not to mention that their existance  would defy logic (invisible arms? what?)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:50:56 am »
I think in thousands of years we will evolve again. Humans only use 10% of their brain. The other 90% is turned off and nobody knows what it does. Psychic powers anyone?

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 12:11:34 pm »
I think in thousands of years we will evolve again. Humans only use 10% of their brain. The other 90% is turned off and nobody knows what it does. Psychic powers anyone?

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 03:33:37 pm »
We are actually becoming more evolved..

Haven't you ever heard of X-men?

I kid, I kid. But yeah, we're certainly not using evolution much at all. Modern society has made surviving a lot easier, so we don't get any large changes in our population. Having something like diclonious happen is extremely unlikely, as we don't have any reason to evolve those things. Not to mention that their existance  would defy logic (invisible arms? what?)

Like I said, Diclonius evolution would be WAAAY over the top, but I'm saying some new kind of human might appear who would want to kill the normal kind of human as the result of some family of mutations.
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 04:05:13 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
In order for humans to evolve, we need something to wipe out 99% of the human population.
Since we seem to stop anything that could do that from happening, we're kind of stopping evolution.
Damn you and your fancy medicines!
Damn you and your ability to adapt to new a huge variety of environments by using the environments!
Damn you all!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:34:33 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
Yah, there is NO reason for humans to ever evolve. The only one is sudden and unpredictable change, like a meteor or something.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 01:54:09 am »
  • Huzzah!!!
Yah, there is NO reason for humans to ever evolve. The only one is sudden and unpredictable change, like a meteor or something.

And something of that magnitude is likely to wipe out the human race anyway.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 02:12:18 am »

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

Dis is a conspiracy.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 02:16:52 am »
  • :D
Evolution requires high genetic variation relative to population size-- unfortunately, the human race has a HUGE population, and very little genetic variation-- there is also no TRUE boundary for people, so there is no "isolation" for many people.

I honestly don't think humans will evolve much unless there is a HUGE population drop.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 02:24:37 am »
Evolution requires high genetic variation relative to population size-- unfortunately, the human race has a HUGE population, and very little genetic variation-- there is also no TRUE boundary for people, so there is no "isolation" for many people.

I honestly don't think humans will evolve much unless there is a HUGE population drop.

Well I'm saying that there will be a huge population drop caused by mutating humans killing other humans. Anyway, a lot of people would die if something came, because we allow those who have otherwise fatal genetic traits live and even reproduce. More and more weak humans would appear.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 06:59:39 am »

Well I'm saying that there will be a huge population drop caused by mutating humans killing other humans. Anyway, a lot of people would die if something came, because we allow those who have otherwise fatal genetic traits live and even reproduce. More and more weak humans would appear.

What, is some guy with webbed feet and claws going to start attacking people? I'd like to see how well he fares against guns.
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 09:26:39 am »
  • I need something new to put here...

What, is some guy with webbed feet and claws going to start attacking people? I'd like to see how well he fares against guns.

He'd be superman and deflect the bullets, of course.

But seriously, does anyone know or realise it takes millions of years for a human race to evolve? And at this point in time, we have enough at our disposal to survive, we have guns to shoot threats which are external, medics and surgeons to destroy internal threats, and so far, in our current state, we've had no proper threats. Say in the next thousand years, global warming heats up the planet, and ice caps melt and there is flooding, as suggested by scientists and the day after tomorrow. As some beleive there might be an ice age, some may choose to stay in the aream grow more hair and walrus skin. Those who choose to migrate to say Australia or America, they might become more red skin, or darker skin, to deal with the heat. (Red skin would be a result of blood vessels rising to the surface of the skin) The human race might also become more adapt and go back to Charles Darwin's 'Survival of the fittest'

On that note,  Survival of the Fittest is also quite the thing of the oast. Millions of years ago, we couldn't care less if there wasn't one less species in the world, as long as we survived, now that it's different, any animal can survive.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 09:28:26 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Hmm... You'd think that there comes a point when adaptation ends. Its a survival thing; we no longer need to survive in the same aspect that would require adaptation... So I kinda think humanity is at its peak for now
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:54:03 am by Mamoruanime »
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 09:53:05 am »
omg u guyz!!111 evolutizion is not teh truth!11 Gawd leik creatized teh hevanz and urth!111

Seriously, I think we have reached the final stage of evolution.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 04:10:56 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)

Evolution doesn't work like that. They are no stages until we look back on it and impose the stages onto it.
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 07:29:39 pm »

Evolution doesn't work like that. They are no stages until we look back on it and impose the stages onto it.
That's correct, but I think humans are good as they are now, and do not need any changes.
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 07:41:01 pm »

That's correct, but I think humans are good as they are now, and do not need any changes.

WE CANT BREATHE UNDER WATER. Say a Biblical Style Flood happens. Most of us would drown. So the few that were living on the mountain tops waiting for the flood to reach them would adapt and evolve to have gills. Then they could survive and thus, evolved once more. Like a long time ago when monkeys lived in the plains, they had no trees to defend themselves against predators. Nowhere to hide. So they just had to out-run them. So they became bipedal. Still they needed food, they began making weapons and tools. Evolution will never end.
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 10:23:28 pm »

Meh. There's more than just adaptive shifts, though. Compare a prokaryotic organism to a mammal. The complexity of the latter shows that it has not only adapted but advanced. I don't think I expressed that too clearly, so feel free to say so if you didn't really get what I said.

mit

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 10:57:09 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
I've always hated debates about evolution on zfgc, 95% of people seem to have no understanding of how it works whatsoever.

Moldrill, let alone that it would take billions of years for a mamal to evolve gills (dolphins breath air), the point of this topic is that we wouldn't need to evolve since technology - boats and floating platforms in this case - would allow us to survive anyway.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 73 queries.